anybody has a guess why Lou did not play her usual minutes today | The Boneyard

anybody has a guess why Lou did not play her usual minutes today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
compared to the minutes she has been playing lately, which is usually among the top of any starter ?

Reaction Score
compared to the minutes she has been playing lately, which is usually among the top of any starter ?
She was not very good. She's a freshman. There are going to be ups and downs. One game she will look awesome like the last game, and then the next game, like today, she will look average. I'm guessing beginning with next season you will see a much more consistent KLS (and Collier). Remember what Stewie and Mo were like their freshman year?

Reaction Score
She was not very good. She's a freshman. There are going to be ups and downs. One game she will look awesome like the last game, and then the next game, like today, she will look average. I'm guessing beginning with next season you will see a much more consistent KLS (and Collier). Remember what Stewie and Mo were like their freshman year?

That's kind of what I saw as well when I watched the first half, particularly on the offense side where she just stood around at the 3pt line asking for the ball while the rest of her teammate was moving around in the flow of the offense. I thought her defense was still very good today. I just want to see what other people saw. Up until today she was much more active within the offense.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Correct; I hope she is more consistent on Monday. and for the rest of the year.

Reaction Score
Why did Samuelson only play 15 minutes? 0 rebounds, 0 assist, 0 steals, 0 blocks, in 15 minutes. Geno has made the point to her before that there is more to the game then just shooting 3 pointers. That was all she managed to do, so he sat her on the bench.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

xhunt nailed it. Watch the last minute or so when she was in, before that UCONN wasn't doing so well on the boards for a stint. The play or couple of plays shortly before she hit her 3 - there was a rebound she got outhustled - didn't go for the rebound hard.

IMO you'll be able to see when Geno pulls her - when she isn't doing well- it is because for example you can go back and see a play before that doesn't go after a rebound hard. You can see there are times when she goes after rebounds in traffic, she goes after them "soft." Offensively she can take the ball to the basket and take a hard hit - so she is not adverse to playing tough. She can hit jumpers inside the lane too. So she can do other things than shoot. But she gets pulled it is either because she blunders defensively on position or goes way too soft after rebounds. IMO it is mostly after rebounds. No rebounds in this game tells the story here. Watch the play before or 2nd or 3rd play before she hits the 3. Sometimes she plays unacceptably soft. You'll see in future games too - if she isn't overall shooting light is out - and she goes after a rebound or two in traffic soft and doesn't get it- he'll pull her.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
xhunt nailed it. Watch the last minute or so when she was in, before that UCONN wasn't doing so well on the boards for a stint. The play or couple of plays shortly before she hit her 3 - there was a rebound she got outhustled - didn't go for the rebound hard.

IMO you'll be able to see when Geno pulls her - when she isn't doing well- it is because for example you can go back and see a play before that doesn't go after a rebound hard. You can see there are times when she goes after rebounds in traffic, she goes after them "soft." Offensively she can take the ball to the basket and take a hard hit - so she is not adverse to playing tough. She can hit jumpers inside the lane too. So she can do other things than shoot. But she gets pulled it is either because she blunders defensively on position or goes way too soft after rebounds. IMO it is mostly after rebounds. No rebounds in this game tells the story here. Watch the play before or 2nd or 3rd play before she hits the 3. Sometimes she plays unacceptably soft. You'll see in future games too - if she isn't overall shooting light is out - and she goes after a rebound or two in traffic soft and doesn't get it- he'll pull her.
I saw that in the first half. Then he put her back in a few minutes later.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
When they showed her sitting on the bench, she was not her usual happy self. She looked distressed, almost like Kia in the last game, and probably for similar reasons. She was either mad at herself or disturbed that she was being given some tough love, or probably both.

On the subject of Kia, I was interested in the announcer's report that Geno reminded her after the Tulane game how much she was contributing in other ways than scoring. But then he told her that he didn't want to see her crying again because of her own performance. She should be able to enjoy the team's convincing win, he thought.

I guess there is no crying in women's basketball.

Reaction Score
CD: You will be fine Lou. Just play like Kia next Monday.

12592447_944279055607151_3784605044912868732_n.jpg

Reaction Score
When they showed her sitting on the bench, she was not her usual happy self. She looked distressed, almost like Kia in the last game, and probably for similar reasons. She was either mad at herself or disturbed that she was being given some tough love, or probably both.

On the subject of Kia, I was interested in the announcer's report that Geno reminded her after the Tulane game how much she was contributing in other ways than scoring. But then he told her that he didn't want to see her crying again because of her own performance. She should be able to enjoy the team's convincing win, he thought.

No crying for personal reasons. And he's right.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Mebbe he wants her good and POd for the SCar game.

Reaction Score
I saw that in the first half. Then he put her back in a few minutes later.

Which play were you talking about? I was talking about the 3rd qtr after KLS hit the 3 - her only 3. Before that East Carolina got an offensive rebound.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Which play were you talking about? I was talking about the 3rd qtr after KLS hit the 3 - her only 3. Before that East Carolina got an offensive rebound.
There was a play in the first half where she might have/should have gotten a rebound but didn't. Didn't seem to go after it with as much zeal as she might have. Probably assumed she wouldn't have to compete for it. Geno turned to his staff with upraised hands. She was yanked shortly after.

In the second half play, by the way, her replacement was already at the scorer's table before that missed rebound you refer to. So that wasn't the reason she was yanked.

So I don't know why she didn't play more. In general, she looked kind of nonchalant, not really playing hard, but who knows?

Reaction Score
We know KLS to be at her best when she is rebounding, playing "D" and driving by a defender for a pull up "J". Her game is so much more than standing behind the arc.

Reaction Score
As everyone has posted, Katie Lou wasn't very good. She doesn't play well when she just stands at the three-point line and waits for the ball. She needs to move without the ball, and she needs to drive and take a two or take it all the way to the basket. It can't be just 3s.

Reaction Score

What! No crying for the ladies? Kayla McBride (one of my favorite ND players) was a veritable sieve. In my house, we used to paraphrase the saying that "the game ain't over until Kayla cries." Some neighbors went outside to build an ark.

Reaction Score
There was a play in the first half where she might have/should have gotten a rebound but didn't. Didn't seem to go after it with as much zeal as she might have. Probably assumed she wouldn't have to compete for it. Geno turned to his staff with upraised hands. She was yanked shortly after.

In the second half play, by the way, her replacement was already at the scorer's table before that missed rebound you refer to. So that wasn't the reason she was yanked.

So I don't know why she didn't play more. In general, she looked kind of nonchalant, not really playing hard, but who knows?

I'll check this out. I don't think you are right about the 3rd quarter. But I'll have to see. Thanks. I'll look at when the game comes up for a replay. :)

Reaction Score
We know KLS to be at her best when she is rebounding, playing "D" and driving by a defender for a pull up "J". Her game is so much more than standing behind the arc.

I disagree. She plays her best when she is doing all the things you say along with hitting 3's. She can play well doing other things but she needs to hit 3's to reach her potential. Otherwise she isn't quick enough to be great. She hits 3's along with to her things she'll be an all-time great. And she is capable of doing exactly that.

Reaction Score
. It can't be just 3s.

How many 2's before it is okay to take many more 3's? What's the ratio and for how many minutes? If she only plays ten minutes and gets off two shots and they were 2's does this mean that she wasn't taking enough 3's also?

She needs to knock down her 3's. Until then she'll be under a microscope for everything that goes wrong for her it will be blamed on her shooting too many 3's. However it has to do more with her soft defense - especially rebounding.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
There's plenty of crying in basketball - boy's may be too scared to show'em, but that doesn't mean they're not there. The question is, can you play THROUGH the crying... or, in Geno's case, finish the post-Bria/Dolson Championship interview...

Reaction Score
I disagree. She plays her best when she is doing all the things you say along with hitting 3's. She can play well doing other things but she needs to hit 3's to reach her potential. Otherwise she isn't quick enough to be great. She hits 3's along with to her things she'll be an all-time great. And she is capable of doing exactly that.

I should have said, in addition to shooting 3's. When she's not knocking down the 3 pointer, she needs to do other things by driving to the hoop or knocking down the midrange jumper. As a shooter, once you see that ball go through the hoop your state of mind changes for the best. You don't have to be quick to be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom