ANOTHER Kentucky transfer | Page 3 | The Boneyard

ANOTHER Kentucky transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Interesting article about whether Mitchell will survive as coach from a Kentucky point of view

Can Matthew Mitchell survive as UK Hoops coach?
Nice find - pretty honest appraisal of the issues.
What seems interesting is that these transfers are happening fairly spaced out with each one appearing to be an individual decision separated by weeks or months.

The sort of organized chaos system being run with a lot of individual offense is not too dissimilar to Paul Westhead's run at all cost system, that seems to have a shelf life wherever it is instituted - it can create a certain level of success and even a championship if the players are really good, but it is really designed to disguise underlying weaknesses in a roster. And I don't think it actually develops player skills very well - so many turnovers and bad shots are just dismissed as part of the cost of running full speed all the time.
Along those lines - Sylvia at UNC and now Quentin at Syracuse are following the same kinds of mantra - shooting percentage doesn't matter, just get as many shots up as possible, or forget about the turnovers just play fast which was Sylvia's rallying cry. It can be exciting for a little while ...

Reaction Score
I'll never forget Sylvia Hatchell's interview at 1/2 time vs UCONN several years ago where NoCar had 21 turnovers at the 1/2 and SH said "I don't care if we have 100 turnovers just as long as we go fast!" Spoken by a coach that has no clue!
Uconn won by over 30 points!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'll never forget Sylvia Hatchell's interview at 1/2 time vs UCONN several years ago where NoCar had 21 turnovers at the 1/2 and SH said "I don't care if we have 100 turnovers just as long as we go fast!" Spoken by a coach that has no clue!
Uconn won by over 30 points!
Oh Yea. Well Q and Syracuse didn't care how many 3Pt them miss either-same result UCONN by 30.

Reaction Score
Well I feel sorry for him. I don't think he is incompetent. He seems like a good person, deserves another chance, maybe best at another school.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
My question would be why should he survive as UK Hoops coach? Most schools wouldn't put up with this.
He should not survive. He might survive because there is literally not enough time to fix this problem. Kentucky WBB team has commitments to SEC that have to be met with a roster of 5 or 7 players they are going to play. Is any fair to mediocre new coach going to come in and take over this mess?

Reaction Score
My question would be why should he survive as UK Hoops coach? Most schools wouldn't put up with this.

I think the article explained why he should quite well.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The fact that there doesn't appear to be a single complaint against him by any player who has left is one reason why he may well survive - not just players, but family and friends aren't saying anything negative. That there is some problem within the team is obvious, and that he has not been able to fix it also seems to be clear, but unlike every other situation no one has said a word against the coach. That is as rare as the exodus itself.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The fact that there doesn't appear to be a single complaint against him by any player who has left is one reason why he may well survive - not just players, but family and friends aren't saying anything negative. That there is some problem within the team is obvious, and that he has not been able to fix it also seems to be clear, but unlike every other situation no one has said a word against the coach. That is as rare as the exodus itself.
That's a great point. No complaints, no investigations - just a bunch of people leaving for various reasons, but no one is saying anything bad (that we are aware of). Maybe he survives. He probably needs a JUCO or 2, or a graduate student to transfer in for the short term. He does have one top 25 kid coming in for 2017 - Duvall (unless she rescinded?)...

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
He should not survive. He might survive because there is literally not enough time to fix this problem. Kentucky WBB team has commitments to SEC that have to be met with a roster of 5 or 7 players they are going to play. Is any fair to mediocre new coach going to come in and take over this mess?

A case could be made for the opposite position
Reasonably well supported program in a BB savvy locale.
Some recent success
Write off next season and start recruiting.
Not so different from the situ at Oregon (or is it O State?...I can never get them straight).
Give someone a coupla seasons to get it together
And it's a potential plum job.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
A case could be made for the opposite position
Reasonably well supported program in a BB savvy locale.
Some recent success
Write off next season and start recruiting.
Not so different from the situ at Oregon (or is it O State?...I can never get them straight).
Give someone a coupla seasons to get it together
And it's a potential plum job.
Perhaps. I think someone has published the attendance figures that show Kentucky being 6th Nationally. SEC or WCBB can't hardly afford the drop off in attendance. Also this is not a 1/2 year problem, Kentucky top committed recruits for 2016 (Corsaro) and 2017 (Treece) have both de-committed. Duvall a top 25 kid for 2017 is still hanging on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom