Another classic on YouTube: Sheryl Swoopes in the 1993 NC game | The Boneyard

Another classic on YouTube: Sheryl Swoopes in the 1993 NC game

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
A while back, I started this poll posing the question of which non-UConn alumna do you wish Geno had had. In introducing Sheryl Swoopes as a choice in this poll, I asked (rhetorically), "I mean, come on; have watched the 1993 national championship game?". Well, whether you have watched that game or you haven't, here it is. Some amazing facts:

1. Swoopes basically carried Texas Tech to victory herself, scoring 47 points.
2. She did so essentially evenly by half: 23 in the first, 24 in the second.
3. She picked up two first-half fouls, and did so early. Fortunately for Tech, she was (wisely) left in the game.
4. She came into the NC game having played four of the five previous 1993 tourney games (don't know why she didn't play in one), and had AVERAGED 33 points in those four contests.

Here's the video:

Reaction Score
A while back, I started this poll posing the question of which non-UConn alumna do you wish Geno had had. In introducing Sheryl Swoopes as a choice in this poll, I asked (rhetorically), "I mean, come on; have watched the 1993 national championship game?". Well, whether you have watched that game or you haven't, here it is. Some amazing facts:

1. Swoopes basically carried Texas Tech to victory herself, scoring 47 points.
2. She did so essentially evenly by half: 23 in the first, 24 in the second.
3. She picked up two first-half fouls, and did so early. Fortunately for Tech, she was (wisely) left in the game.
4. She came into the NC game having played four of the five previous 1993 tourney games (don't know why she didn't play in one), and had AVERAGED 33 points in those four contests.

1. No player in the history of WCBB has more single handedly carried a team to the national championship than Ms Swoopes in 1993.
2. At six feet tall she was also the leading rebounder for the entire 1993 tournament.
3. Ms Swoopes was 11-11 from the free throw line in the championship game and only missed four free throws the entire tournnament going 57-61.
4. To answer your question in #4 above, in 1993 the women's tournament consisted of 48 teams with the first and second seeds getting first round byes.
5. Katie Smith, only a freshman in 1993, was quite outstanding in this championship game and throughout the 1993 tournament. She would have been the story if not for Ms Swoopes.
6. As outstanding as Ms Smith's freshman performance was in 1993, it was, at best, the third best freshman performance in NCAA Tournament history. I have absolutely no recollection of Tonya Edwards in 1987, but doubt if it would merit top three consideration. Katie Smith's 1993 performance may have been better than Chamique Holdsclaw in 1996. The best two freshman performances: 1. Clarissa Davis in 1986 2. Cheryl Miller in 1983.
(Which begs an oft repeated refrain. How in the world did Kamie Etheridge win the Wade Trophy in 1986 over Cheryl Miller, one of the greatest players of all time, and, when Ms Etheridge was probably the third best player on her team?)

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I think Breanna Stewart might have something to say about freshmen performances in the tournament...

I was at the SWC tournament in Reunion arena in 1993 (third grade!) when Swoopes broke the building record for points held by...Larry Bird. My mom did the clock for SMU games and she got to do the entire SWC tournament and I was a ball girl. It was unreal.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
sarals24 said:
I think Breanna Stewart might have something to say about freshmen performances in the tournament... I was at the SWC tournament in Reunion arena in 1993 (third grade!) when Swoopes broke the building record for points held by...Larry Bird. My mom did the clock for SMU games and she got to do the entire SWC tournament and I was a ball girl. It was unreal.
That sounds like an amazing experience, Sara. And if Swoopes broke a record held by Larry Legend, she resembled him to the extent she could move smooth as silk and create (and make) her own shot from anywhere.

I was 15 years old back then. At that age, I had little interest in WBB, but by dumb luck, I happened to turn on the tube to Tech-tOSU and stayed on because it was the championship game. Suffice it to say my interest in WBB, though nothing like my interest now, did start to germinate just a little.

On a side note, as I recall, Texas Longhorn QB Tyrone Swoopes is a distant relation to Sheryl.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Sheryl also has a son named Jordan Jackson I think...he plays for a private school in Houston and we (the high school where I work) played his team in the state semifinals last year. He singlehandedly took us to three OTs by hitting game-tying shots at the end of each period. We eventually won but he was incredible. Sheryl wasn't there :(

I think he's actually going to Tech also.

Reaction Score
I think Breanna Stewart might have something to say about freshmen performances in the tournament...

I was at the SWC tournament in Reunion arena in 1993 (third grade!) when Swoopes broke the building record for points held by...Larry Bird. My mom did the clock for SMU games and she got to do the entire SWC tournament and I was a ball girl. It was unreal.

Ms Stewart's freshman performance against Louisville was outstanding. It was a game, though, that UConn would have won with both hands tied behind their backs. Take Stewart off the floor, UConn still wins. Take Swoopes off the floor, Texas Tech has no chance. Take Miller off the floor, USC loses. Take Davis off the floor and USC wins its third championship in four years.

Reaction Score
What about the ND game? UConn doesn't win that without Stewie.

I believe many here have referred to it as the breakout game; An outstanding performance for Ms Stewart. Do you believe, though, that a Coach Auriemma UConn team in any season is going to lose to a Notre Dame team when its best three players, Skylar Diggins, Kayla McBride, and Jewel Lloyd shoot a combined 13-52?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moochi278

Top Bottom