Anne Donovan resigns [merged thread] | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Anne Donovan resigns [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I don't see Rizzotti leaving Hartford. She has a family to support and my guess is that her position there is fairly secure. Not so as a head coach in the W.

I also doubt that she would be offered the job.

According to the Guru Mel Greenberg they chased the Rizz last time. I'm sure they'll ask again and I'm equally sure she'll say no.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I think the new coach will be Sue Bird!

If they were to name Sue head coach I would be shocked and dismayed. Not a lick of coaching experience that I am aware of... it would be a clear case of pandering.

Listen carefully... BECKY HAMMON!!!

Reaction Score
Arne Duncan the Secretary of Education is also stepping down. What a glorious week!!!

Reaction Score
If they were to name Sue head coach I would be shocked and dismayed. Not a lick of coaching experience that I am aware of... it would be a clear case of pandering.

Listen carefully... BECKY HAMMON!!!
No argument that a pitch at Sue should and would be pandering. But that would never be a surprise to many

Reaction Score
Hiring Gail "deer in the headlights" Goestenkors would be a mistake, IMHO! Retreads aren't what the CT Sun need now, they need a younger, dynamic type of personality, innovative, coach that can be there for the long run!
See my post above for some names!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't see Rizzotti leaving Hartford. She has a family to support and my guess is that her position there is fairly secure. Not so as a head coach in the W.

I also doubt that she would be offered the job.
I'm not sure Jen would have to leave Hartford to coach in WNBA. Remember Dawn Staley coached at Temple & played in WNBA at same time for a couple seasons I believe.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This hire was a disaster from the beginning. When it became clear that AD and Tina Charles couldn't coexist, they should have canned Donovan. Retread coaches are a dime-a-dozen, franchise players are rare.

Reaction Score
They should give Carla a look. She's done quite well for herself while building a successful program at Tufts. Yes, I know is only D3, but she's shown she can get the best out of her players.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Hiring Gail "deer in the headlights" Goestenkors

Nicknames are apparently hard to change. Amazing how one's perception over 12 years old does not match the on-the-court record or what actually transpired since 2003...

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I'm not sure Jen would have to leave Hartford to coach in WNBA. Remember Dawn Staley coached at Temple & played in WNBA at same time for a couple seasons I believe.

How much do WNBA head coaches make anyway? I imagine a upper tier college coach would take a huge pay cut to leave to take a WNBA job.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Nicknames are apparently hard to change. Amazing how one's perception over 12 years old does not match the on-the-court record or what actually transpired since 2003...
I say that often (on this board) about former players that didnt play for UConn... its amazing

Reaction Score

CamrnCrz1974- - - - GG was blessed with some of the most talented, who's who of WCBB while she was the Head Coach of Duke and they continued to underachieve through out her Blue Devils reign! She constantly found a way to lose the big games!
She didn't exactly set the world on fire with her Texas stay either! Even though TX is a talent-rich WBB state!
When you bring up "her on-the-court-record or what actually transpired since 2003", remember if you coach long enough you acquire loads of wins, look at that shining light of coaching genius, Anne Donovan, who had over 200 wins in the WNBA! And she's been seen recently at the head of the unemployed line once again!

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
CamrnCrz1974- - - - GG was blessed with some of the most talented, who's who of WCBB while she was the Head Coach of Duke and they continued to underachieve through out her Blue Devils reign! She constantly found a way to lose the big games!

Lose big games? She lost some heartbreakers in the tournament. Absolutely.

But "continued to underachieve throughout her Blue Devils reign" and lose the big games? Like going 2-2 against Geno (with both wins in the State of Connecticut) and 5-4 against Summitt while at Duke? Like her 3-0 record against the Parker/Horbuckle/Anosike/Fuller recruiting class (two wins in Knoxville).

Duke had plenty of talent in her tenure. So did UConn. So did Tennessee. So did Maryland.

Duke had eight players and made the Final Four in 2002. Duke lost to Maryland in OT in the 2006 title game and lost three of its best players (and another to injury), but went undefeated in the regular season in 2007.

Again, amazing how one's perception does not match the on-the-court record or what actually transpired...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom