Anne Donovan resigns [merged thread] | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Anne Donovan resigns [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
This is, indeed, the best day the Sun have had in three years. But we best curb our enthusiasm until we see who the sun brain trust hires next. After all, they didn't do so well with their last choice.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
anigif_enhanced-1596-1396589625-10.gif

Alot of boneyarders in CT are doing this right now
RSHERMVIKES sure has some pep left in his step

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Mike DiMauro, who has written at length about the Sun and supported Donovan staying on as coach, weighs in: http://www.theday.com/article/20151001/SPORT01/151009884

And so Anne Donovan has left us, three years later now, pretty much the same way she arrived. We didn’t know her then. We don’t know her now. It’s the way she wanted it. And what ultimately led to the circumstances that prompted her resignation Thursday as coach of the Connecticut Sun.

It was her sense of detachment — perhaps unwittingly at times — from everything that didn’t involve Xs and Os that followed her like a storm cloud. She just didn’t want to be engaged. There was no letting anybody in. Not fans, media, or even her players.

I spent much of Thursday talking to people who play — and have played — for Donovan. None wanted to be quoted for the record because they like her and don’t want to be cruel. But there was unanimity in the idea that she wasn’t very interested in communicating anything else to her players that didn’t involve a basketball drill.

Reaction Score
Party at RSHERMVIKES house!

768 mph

j66kicker- - - Within 5 minutes of the announcement I must have gotten 8 to 10 calls from friends screaming the news at me!
But the job is not complete, they must hire a younger, dynamic coach that could put down roots with the "pups" on the roster and those who will be coming on board!
Back a month or so ago I proposed a list of names of WNBA Assts. and 3 present college coaches and I'll add a name brought up above:
Becky Hammond-------But does she owe SA something for giving her a shot in the NBA? ******

Herb Williams------NY Liberty Asst.
Katie Smith-------NY Liberty Asst. ******
Tree Rollins----- Chicago
Bridgett Pettis------Tulsa
Jim Peterson------MN
Vickie Johnson------San Antonio ******

Jeff Walz-----L'ville Tough time of year to get a college coach/ I don't think he'd leave L'ville
Kim Barnes Arico-----Michigan Tough time of year to get a college coach
Sheryl Swoopes-----Loyola Tough time of year to get a college coach ******

MY CHOICES: ******

The present GM Chris Sienko: It would help if they'd fire him or he'd resign so they can offer new coach both positions!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Mike DiMauro, who has written at length about the Sun and supported Donovan staying on as coach, weighs in: http://www.theday.com/article/20151001/SPORT01/151009884

And so Anne Donovan has left us, three years later now, pretty much the same way she arrived. We didn’t know her then. We don’t know her now. It’s the way she wanted it. And what ultimately led to the circumstances that prompted her resignation Thursday as coach of the Connecticut Sun.

It was her sense of detachment — perhaps unwittingly at times — from everything that didn’t involve Xs and Os that followed her like a storm cloud. She just didn’t want to be engaged. There was no letting anybody in. Not fans, media, or even her players.

I spent much of Thursday talking to people who play — and have played — for Donovan. None wanted to be quoted for the record because they like her and don’t want to be cruel. But there was unanimity in the idea that she wasn’t very interested in communicating anything else to her players that didn’t involve a basketball drill.

I don't get it. How do you warm up to that???

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
See, I knew I could improve how you felt about Coach JPM. Things can always be worse.

Ice, just paid attention to your signature line - nice! OBTW possible snow in parts of Montana tonight; shall I ship some out!

Reaction Score
I saw two suggestions for a replacement for Donovan, Jen Rizzotti and Sue Bird. No doubt that Rizzotti would be an exciting choice but you have to wonder if she would have any interest. Is she waiting for Geno's retirement and would she be first in line or would Shea Ralph. Sue Bird would be immensely popular but doesn't she have another year or two on the floor in Seattle?

Reaction Score
I saw two suggestions for a replacement for Donovan, Jen Rizzotti and Sue Bird. No doubt that Rizzotti would be an exciting choice but you have to wonder if she would have any interest. Is she waiting for Geno's retirement and would she be first in line or would Shea Ralph. Sue Bird would be immensely popular but doesn't she have another year or two on the floor in Seattle?
Sue would never come here. She's made it clear on several occasions that Connecticut is too rural for her. When asked about coaching UConn she said something along the lines of that she couldn't because Storrs isn't metropolitan enough for her. A bit disappointing, because we could have her as head coach and Diana as associate head coach.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
What, 10 wins to 15 wins isn't an improvement? :eek:;)

You're splitting hairs mr006. Let me "rephrase" that.........There was no significant "sustained" improvement during her tenure. :p It appears that happy times are here again in Uncasville. It would appear that Sun management decided to wipe the slate clean and go back to square one.

You know that whenever there's a break down of that magnitude, and you have to "dismantle" the machine, there will always be casualties. AD was one of those casualties. If one person can turn the Chicago Cubs culture around in one season, why can't the Sun? I know there is someone out there that can do it. The question is who, and can the Sun find and hire them.

There's nowhere for them to go but up. It's time to get creative in Uncasville. Start thinking outside of the box. They've got to turn this thing around, and quick, or they'll begin to lose more of their fan base which isn't that big to begin with.

Last edited:

mr006

Reaction Score

I dare say that if they asked the same about Coach T, they'd get a different answer... of course, anything is better than nothing...
and in a state where we get a LOT of info on our college team (players and coaches), that's not gonna fly well.
Of course, winning can also take care of that - ask Bill Belichick

Reaction Score
Sue would never come here. She's made it clear on several occasions that Connecticut is too rural for her. When asked about coaching UConn she said something along the lines of that she couldn't because Storrs isn't metropolitan enough for her. A bit disappointing, because we could have her as head coach and Diana as associate head coach.
Sure am glad she came and stayed four years gave us the joy of watching one of our all time greats. Jen on the other hand is anchored in the area already, is currently coaching at a Div.1 school, has stature in the UConn family, etc. Only question is how any Geno years are left.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Sure am glad she came and stayed four years gave us the joy of watching one of our all time greats. Jen on the other hand is anchored in the area already, is currently coaching at a Div.1 school, has stature in the UConn family, etc. Only question is how any Geno years are left.
Jen isn't winning conference titles, getting into the Big Dance or sign highly ranked recruits. Locals aren't even going to UHart they're going to Maryland, Syracuse and even Providence.
Jen did have a good run about 5-8 yrs ago...

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I don't see Rizzotti leaving Hartford. She has a family to support and my guess is that her position there is fairly secure. Not so as a head coach in the W.

I also doubt that she would be offered the job.

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
Someone wrote a while back that Donovan's practices were too long and rigorous for modern 'twelve month a year' players and might be contributing to their breakdowns - no idea if that is true.[/QUOTE]

Kelly Farris told me that Donovan's practices were EASY. She said something to the effect of "I like a workout when I practice". Course, Kelly was used to Geno's practices which often contains a version of the "Kobiyashi Maru"!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom