Angel McCoughtry | The Boneyard

Angel McCoughtry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
was suspended for a game for receiving her seventh technical foul. Tiffany Hayes got her seventh in Atlanta's final regular season game. Will she play Wednesday?

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Rebecca Lobo was talking about this on the air the other night. She mentioned that it was quite possible that both could be out for the 1st playoff game. Could spell trouble for Atlanta.

Reaction Score
Thanks j66, I didn't see that, and I couldn't find anything about it on either the league's or Atlanta's web sites.
I believe the rule reads seventh technical during the regular season, so it's not exactly clear.
HuskyFan, did Rebecca give a reason for Angel possibly being out? She already served her suspension.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
She needs to learn how to calm the heck down. Playing with emotion is one thing.... but 7 techs in 34 games.... that's ridiculous.
the refs should be ashamed of themselves... maybe they look at Angel's "facial expressions" the way many UConn fans do and make assumptions

history, track record follows you for a long time... sadly!

Angel and Tiffany are worse than Diana Taurasi... I dont think so!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
the refs should be ashamed of themselves... maybe they look at Angel's "facial expressions" the way many UConn fans do and make assumptions

Actually I was referring to Hayes :p

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Actually I was referring to Hayes :p
upload_2016-9-20_3-16-55.jpeg

Reaction Score

But they are not any better either...

Angel was a revelation at the Olympics. She just played hard and was clearly an asset to the team. But she and Tiff have joined DT by complaining continously and loudly about the calls. Tiff launches herself and expects to be rewarded at the foul line.

Having said this, the quality of officiating has to be improved in the WNBA. Some of it is just bad, inconsistent work by inexperienced refs but some of the problem is on the league. The WNBA continues to allow wild, out-of-control drives to be rewarded by foul calls. Geno used to say this about ND when Skyler would launch herself into the pack and get a call.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
With the quality of the refs I am actually pretty surprised that there are not more Ts in the W. You're playing your guts out, get called for a phantom foul at one end and then get mugged at the other end with no call - yeah, I would probably get called for one or two every game!

It also appears some of the refs have real hair triggers - you really should have to earn a technical, not get it for momentary decent.

HGN

Reaction Score
It was going to be tough for Atlanta to win the first game with Angel...........It would be VERY tough to win without her or possibly Tiffany in the lineup. this could put Atlanta in a tough spot losing the first game
at home. I believe that series is against the Storm and Stewie.

Reaction Score
I have been going nuts about the refs in both WCBB and the WNBA for the last 5 to 6 years most likely longer!
They are without a doubt the worst referred sport in the USA!
And the WNBA is worse than College, which means they really stink!
When Patty Coyle was the head Coach of the NY Liberty I ran into her at the XL Center she was scouting during a Baylor at UCONN game. I asked her how the players and coaches not go insane with the inept refs in the League. She said you find out quickly to try keep your mouth shut because if you go too crazy the word spreads to the other refs and they'll hunt you out and call everything they see or don't see!
I said can't the players/coaches quietly go to the league and force them into a change or stricter evaluation policy and she said the league doesn't really care it's not a high priority!
It is really amazing that more players and coaches don't lose their cool and go crazy at the refs!
It's criminal how lousy they are and it hurts the quality of both WCBB & the WNBA!

Reaction Score
Not disagreeing with how bad the refs are. One thing I told me daughter, there's no point in complaining, the refs are going to take the wistle back. Just gotta paly the game.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
But they are not any better either...

Angel was a revelation at the Olympics. She just played hard and was clearly an asset to the team. But she and Tiff have joined DT by complaining continously and loudly about the calls. Tiff launches herself and expects to be rewarded at the foul line.

Having said this, the quality of officiating has to be improved in the WNBA. Some of it is just bad, inconsistent work by inexperienced refs but some of the problem is on the league. The WNBA continues to allow wild, out-of-control drives to be rewarded by foul calls. Geno used to say this about ND when Skyler would launch herself into the pack and get a call.

Tiff was not like that at UConn. Is it possible that Angel has rubbed off on her over the last few years? You know......."When you associate, you assimilate" ?. It certainly looks that way. :rolleyes:
Like her or not, McCaughtry can straight out ball. She plays hard, and she plays with an attitude. Don't expect her to change her on-court demeanor. That ship has sailed. Angel is no doubt comfortable in her present day skin. She doesn't appear to be too concerned about the public's perception of her. BTW, I completely agree that the officiating in the W for the most part is horrendous.

Reaction Score
I love watching Angel play. She is one of the best in the W and it does hurt her. When she plays for Geno it is like she just controls her emotions and plays ball. If she watched film of playing in the league and playing for the NT she would see the difference. It is hard to shake that reputation ask Rasheed Wallace.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I love it when players whine about the refs. It really elevates my enjoyment of the game. I especially enjoy it when players complain and then don't get back on defense. That. is. SO. cool.

I also think that it is TOTALLY unfair that players who swear at refs get Ts. What up with that. Refs are so friggin' thin skinned. Probably 'cause they stink at their job AND don't give too hoots about it. Personally, I think we should fire all the refs across ALL the sports... I mean, did you SEE the screw ups the NFL dudes made? I expect them to be be perfect and know I could do better. They should pay ME to officiate. What a sweet gig THAT would be.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I love it when players whine about the refs. It really elevates my enjoyment of the game. I especially enjoy it when players complain and then don't get back on defense. That. is. SO. cool.

I also think that it is TOTALLY unfair that players who swear at refs get Ts. What up with that. Refs are so friggin' thin skinned. Probably 'cause they stink at their job AND don't give too hoots about it. Personally, I think we should fire all the refs across ALL the sports... I mean, did you SEE the screw ups the NFL dudes made? I expect them to be be perfect and know I could do better. They should pay ME to officiate. What a sweet gig THAT would be.

ThisJustIn my man, I've got news for you. I played college basketball in the early 70's. I speak from personal experience. There were several things you could do on the court during a game that would guarantee you a technical foul during a basketball game. In no particular order:

1. Cursing to/at a ref. This was/is guaranteed. No referee is going to tolerate being cursed at by a player or a coach. Anyone that has played high school or college ball understands this. You might get away with it in the NBA, but not the W. If a referee is not going to allow a coach to curse at them, what makes you think he/she is going to take that crap from a player?
2. Showing up a ref (this may include body language).
3. Excessive arguing.
4. Fighting/grabbing an opposing player (sometimes trash talk/taunting will earn you a tech if it continues after a warning).
5. Throwing the ball at a ref/another player or into the stands (at a mouthy obnoxious fan). I saw this happen once. It was funny as heck!! Needless to say, the player (who had rabbit ears and thin skin) was given a tech, and ejected from the game.

How quick you get teed up depends on the length of a ref's fuse. Some have long ones, some have very short ones. It was my experience that the older refs tended to have shorter fuses. In a close game, a tech can be devastating. You don't want to be THAT guy that causes your team to lose a game after 40 minutes of fighting clawing, scratching and banging because you got teed up because you could not control your temper/mouth. A coach one told us " This team involves you, but it's not about you". I never forgot that. If a player cannot play and contribute for a team within the frame work of that team's concept, then they don't need to play. No one player is bigger than the team. One player has never defeated a team by him/her self.

Just a reminder ThisJustIn....."Fair" is a place where they judge pigs. Life is not fair. It never has been, it never will be. :cool:

Last edited:

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
ThisJustIn my man, I've got news for you. I played college basketball in the early 70's. I speak from personal experience. There were several things you could do on the court during a game that would guarantee you a technical foul during a basketball game. In no particular order:

1. Cursing to/at a ref. This was/is guaranteed. No referee is going to tolerate being cursed at by a player or a coach. Anyone that has played high school or college ball understands this. You might get away with it in the NBA, but not the W. If a referee is not going to allow a coach to curse at them, what makes you think he/she is going to take that crap from a player?
2. Showing up a ref (this may include body language).
3. Excessive arguing.
4. Fighting/grabbing an opposing player (sometimes trash talk/taunting will earn you a tech if it continues after a warning).
5. Throwing the ball at a ref/another player or into the stands (at a mouthy obnoxious fan). I saw this happen once. It was funny as heck!! Needless to say, the player (who had rabbit ears and thin skin) was given a tech, and ejected from the game.

How quick you get teed up depends on the length of a ref's fuse. Some have long ones, some have very short ones. It was my experience that the older refs tended to have shorter fuses. In a close game, a tech can be devastating. You don't want to be THAT guy that causes your team to lose a game after 40 minutes of fighting clawing, scratching and banging because you got teed up because you could not control your temper/mouth. A coach one told us " This team involves you, but it's not about you". I never forgot that. If a player cannot play and contribute for a team within the frame work of that team's concept, then they don't need to play. No one player is bigger than the team. One player has never defeated a team by him/her self.

Just a reminder ThisJustIn....."Fair" is a place where they judge pigs. Life is not fair. It never has been, it never will be. :cool:
Carnac, you are wrong on a couple points here I think.

1) "ThisJustIn my man, I've got news for you...." Your first error is here. I'll let you guess what it is.
2) You "seem" to take ThisJustIn's post literally. You need to maybe get used to TJI's sarcastic style and her posting history with regard to Refs. ;)

Carnac

Reaction Score
Carnac, you are wrong on a couple points here I think.

1) "ThisJustIn my man, I've got news for you...." Your first error is here. I'll let you guess what it is.
2) You "seem" to take ThisJustIn's post literally. You need to maybe get used to TJI's sarcastic style and her posting history with regard to Refs. ;)

Thanks Biff. I stand corrected on both counts. I love the avatar by the way. Gort (assuming he was of male persuasion because of the masculinity of the name) was an extremely capable no non-sense aide to Klaatu. Gort did not play....and his??/her?? expression never changed. :rolleyes:

1. I made an assumption about ThisJustIn I should not have. My apologies to her. I assumed the "Justin" in the name was a play on his name. I just clicked on ThisJustIn's profile. Nowhere on/in the profile does it state the gender of this poster. So even If I had checked, I would not have been able to tell the gender of this poster. So technically, I should get a pass on that one. If you click on my profile, it states that I am a male.

I'm slow on the draw when posters lace their comments with sarcasm. It's a mindset and writing style I seldom employ. I usually take a poster's comments at face value. I'm not very critical of poster's opinions, writing style or grammatical errors. Everyone that posts here is not at the same level of proficiency on paper. You will NEVER see Carnac correct another poster's spelling or grammar. Everyone does the best they can, and I'm OK with that.

To each his own. Everyone has the right to their own opinion. 90% of the time, I don't bother to offer a rebuttal/response to most posts. I only comment on 10% of the comments I read. 90% of my time in the yard is spent reading comments. I'm just a fan, not an authority. I'm 3,000 miles away out here in "sunny" Southern California. The only news I get about anything UConn, is here in the yard. So my brief trips to the yard is spent reading. I want to take in as much information as I can in the limited amount of time I can spend here.

2. I'm not familiar with everyone's writing style. Some I know because of the frequency of their posts. Most I don't. ThisJustIn falls in that category.

Thanks again Biff, I'll always remember that based on your representation, "ThisJustIn" is a female!! :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The 2 teams with the dominating type A personality players won tonight! DT drove PHX to win over Indiana and Angel M. put her team on her shoulders with 37 points to beat Seattle! PHX ended the career of the ultimate "winner" Tamika Catchings! Whatever Tamika has planned for the 2nd 1/2 of her life is surely going to come up roses as she wasn't born to fail! The clock just ran out on her!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom