Andre Rafus | The Boneyard

Andre Rafus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
@TheRecruitScoop: UConn has offered Andre Rafus - a 2017 forward from New Town (MD).

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score
New footage of him. Has offers from Missouri, SMU, UNLV, Maryland, among others. His stock is going up.

(you might want to turn your speakers down a notch)

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
We just picked up a crystal ball pick.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
While you guys are correct in that waiting on a 2017 to commit right now is foolish, it's worth noting how much earlier we seem to be getting onto our targets now that KO & staff have several years of working together under their belts.

This doesn't guarantee better recruiting classes. But it should certainly mean fewer last-gasp gambits on kids like Tevin Mack and Chris Clarke, and hopefully more "UConn is my dream school" stuff like what we've seen from Adams, Enoch and Tyrique Jones.

Reaction Score
Please... for the love of God... would some of you actually take the time to go back and read the sanctions imposed upon us by the NCAA several years ago? The APR sanctions did not just keep us out of the Big East and other post season tournaments in 2013. We also received scholarship AND visitation AND amount of time out recruiting restrictions.

Any of you who do not already know this either did not pay attention, do not know how to read, or are just plain lazy. And any of you who do not think THOSE RESTRICTIONS have had a negative impact on our recent recruiting are either clueless, or have an agenda to push against Kevin Ollie and this coaching staff.

There is a reason that we are more heavily involved NOW with recruits in the classes of 2016 and 2o17 then we were with recruits from the classes of 2014 and 2015... because WE CAN BE!

Frankly, I expect a bit more brain power out of most of you than I see in these threads. If you are going to have this conversation and you want to take the "this coaching staff is having problems recruiting" mantra, at least be willing to offer up some type of caveat for the importance those restrictions played in the equation. Otherwise, you should just STFU... and then go back and realize how absolutely, ridiculously amazing it is that we got anywhere close to the Final 4 last year, let alone a Championship.

It annoys the crap out of me when people keep pushing an argument but will never give a fully supported point of view that covers the entirety of the defense against them, just because no one brings up. Well, I just did. So... let me see some rebuttals to that specific argument, people.

Reaction Score
And Matrim55... I think us "getting on recruits earlier" has a lot less to do with the staff working together for several years, and a lot more to do with that fact that THEY CAN... now that the restrictions have been lifted.

Think about it... do some research on just what I am talking about... then get back to me.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
And Matrim55... I think us "getting on recruits earlier" has a lot less to do with the staff working together for several years, and a lot more to do with that fact that THEY CAN... now that the restrictions have been lifted.

Think about it... do some research on just what I am talking about... then get back to me.
So childish.

As I've pointed out in several other threads, our recruiting is trending upward for a variety of reasons. One of them is the lifting of the recruiting sanctions which, while onerous, were nowhere near as much of a problem as the general instability around the program from late 2011 through early 2014 thanks to the questions around Calhoun's future, the postseason ban, conference realignment, and understandable questions about Ollie's coaching acumen.

With those issues (for the most part) accounted for, our recruiting appears to have picked up.

In short: My post was a positive one, defending Ollie and the staff. And you need to up your lithium dosage.

Reaction Score
LOL... thanks, but I don't take lithium, or any other drug for that matter.

I was correcting your point, and a common misconception that has been perpetuated in many threads on here. Our recruiting is not improving because our staff has time together... it is because this last summer was the first time they could all recruit full out, with no restrictions.

If you can't take a correction of your erroneous words, than that is a you problem...

Matrim55

Reaction Score
LOL... thanks, but I don't take lithium, or any other drug for that matter.
You should start.

I was correcting your point, and a common misconception that has been perpetuated in many threads on here. Our recruiting is not improving because our staff has time together... it is because this last summer was the first time they could all recruit full out, with no restrictions.
Two funny things here:

1) You're picking a fight with someone who largely agrees with your overall point (our recruiting is getting better) on a board where the majority seem to think we're doomed.
2) You're claiming that there's one - and only one - reason our recruiting appears to be picking up. You're dismissing out of hand the notion that a postseason ban, or conference realignment, or general questions about KO's coaching ability had/have any effect on our ability to go after and land top prospects.

You're pretty dim. That's a "you" problem.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
How is our recruiting improving again?
2013: 1 4-star (Facey), 0 top 50
2014: 2 4-stars (Hamilton, Purvis), 1 top 50
2015: 2 4-stars (Adams, Enoch), 2 top 50s

It still needs to get better. I'm disappointed we didn't close on Stone back in the autumn, that would couldn't poach Mack, and that we never really got back into the hunt for Dorsey. But the "we're doomed!" crowd is absolutely wearying given the information at hand and the trendline for the future.

Reaction Score
Please... for the love of God... would some of you actually take the time to go back and read the sanctions imposed upon us by the NCAA several years ago? The APR sanctions did not just keep us out of the Big East and other post season tournaments in 2013. We also received scholarship AND visitation AND amount of time out recruiting restrictions.

Any of you who do not already know this either did not pay attention, do not know how to read, or are just plain lazy. And any of you who do not think THOSE RESTRICTIONS have had a negative impact on our recent recruiting are either clueless, or have an agenda to push against Kevin Ollie and this coaching staff.

There is a reason that we are more heavily involved NOW with recruits in the classes of 2016 and 2o17 then we were with recruits from the classes of 2014 and 2015... because WE CAN BE!

Frankly, I expect a bit more brain power out of most of you than I see in these threads. If you are going to have this conversation and you want to take the "this coaching staff is having problems recruiting" mantra, at least be willing to offer up some type of caveat for the importance those restrictions played in the equation. Otherwise, you should just STFU... and then go back and realize how absolutely, ridiculously amazing it is that we got anywhere close to the Final 4 last year, let alone a Championship.

It annoys the crap out of me when people keep pushing an argument but will never give a fully supported point of view that covers the entirety of the defense against them, just because no one brings up. Well, I just did. So... let me see some rebuttals to that specific argument, people.
Some people are simply addicted to being negative.

caw

Reaction Score
2013: 1 4-star (Facey), 0 top 50
2014: 2 4-stars (Hamilton, Purvis), 1 top 50
2015: 2 4-stars (Adams, Enoch), 2 top 50s

It still needs to get better. I'm disappointed we didn't close on Stone back in the autumn, that would couldn't poach Mack, and that we never really got back into the hunt for Dorsey. But the "we're doomed!" crowd is absolutely wearying given the information at hand and the trendline for the future.

i still feel the Ali situation killed a lot of chances with other twos in this class. That was a bigger loss than any other two because he took recruiting time away from Ollie by committing for as long as he did. Wish he had never verballed/decommitted earlier. Still have to see what spring brings before any real complaining commences.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
see a lot of KevinDurant in the way he moves and his shooting style...not a bad thing at all!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

Holy crap batman. I gave you a like with the first post you made in this thread and took it back. It seems your crap didn't get appeased with your logical first rant so you had to hit a dude between the eyes who didn't say the exact same thing as you. Thought it was funny that you insist on a complete examination of the recruiting situation, took issue with myopic examination of recruiting, and then hit a guy who points out something that is different from your position but isn't refuting your position.

Personally I agree with your position that the apr situation was detrimental to recruiting and the primary factor. So does Matrim55. But the reality is it could be the singular factor, the primary factor, one of the factors or not a factor at all. We can only postulate things.

And his postulation that the coaching group will improve with time is certainly a reasonable postulation for any bb fan to consider especially watching players and how they must adjust when their roles change.

Reaction Score
I just want a new NCAA basketball game to come out so I can do some fancy UCONN recruiting myself!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom