Andre Johnson Has Entered the Transfer Portal | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Andre Johnson Has Entered the Transfer Portal

Reaction Score
Best of luck to Andre Johnson, will always remember that 3 pointer against NW in a game that Boo Buie didn’t hit a 3.

It’s so rare this day and age to not have a mass exodus of transfers, that’s how put together the team culture is. Not that you won’t have guys leaving but it’s more so the guys of guys going to a place to get playing time.

Reaction Score
I'm still legit wondering if that guy actually meant Andre Johnson or he thought Andre Jackson Jr was still on our team and mixed him up with Andre Johnson.

Or did that perplexed voice perhaps mean Samson Johnson? :p

Reaction Score
This is a brilliant move by him.

He's been part of 2 national champions....from walk on status. Prior to that experience his odds of winning a D1 scholarship opportunity were probably slim to none. Nothing like capitalizing while the iron is SMOKING hot!

Reaction Score
Any chance a player on the the of the bench in another D1 program and decides instead of entering the portal, this is an opportunity to enroll at UConn as an undergrad just to tryout out to play for Hurley?

That allowed as long as we never tried recruiting them as a scholarship player?

Reaction Score
I respect that he wants to play and fight for a spot, but I think if I were in his position I would stay at UConn for sure. Being a CT guy (I know he is as well), it would be a dream to play at UConn and to be coached by Hurley while being surrounded by greatness everyday and competing for national titles every year. I think for me, the situation at UConn would far outweigh being able to play some decent minutes for a mid major school. To each their own though, and good luck to our 2x national champ!

Reaction Score
The funny thing is that about 5% of posters on here didn’t realize there was an Andre Johnson on the team and thought it was some joke referring to Andre Jackson.

Reaction Score
Hard to say what level he'll play at. You never get a good sense of it with the walk-ons. My guess would be a decent D3 team.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Best wishes and thanks for his contribution.

I'm wondering if Emmett Hendry has set himself up for the 2024-25 season, having used the portal last spring to go the JuCo route after his "preferred walk-on" year. In addition to his unique ability to get TV face time on the bench, in timeout huddles, and within celebrations both during & after games, he will always hold status as UConn's first recruit out of Montverde Academy. He paved the way for Liam McNeeley.

Reaction Score
He had D1 interest coming out of prep school. It was thought that he’d play D1. The word was that he was a victim of the portal. When the portal changes came, there was less room for more marginal players in D1. I suspect that given the interest in him a few years ago and two years of UConn development under his belt, D1 interest will materialize. I suspect he’ll enroll somewhere fairly local and has options already.

Reaction Score
Forgive me for asking.. I feel like I should know this... but is he a walk on or a scholarship player? For some reason I thought he was a walk on....

Reaction Score
Forgive me for asking.. I feel like I should know this... but is he a walk on or a scholarship player? For some reason I thought he was a walk on....
He was a walk on. But I think he was given the scholly since there was an extra. I certainly may be wrong but thought I read that somewhere.

Reaction Score
Good article with lots of quotes from him about his decision to transfer in the Waterbury Republican-American. Unfortunately none of the websites to take down a paywall work on that newspaper. But here are some quotes below. I didn't know that he had offers from low majors like Iona, St. Peter’s, Towson, Quinnipiac and Boston University but then very early in his senior year he tore ligaments in his elbow and got Clostridioides difficile and his senior season was over after just two games and all the offers disappeared. But then late in the season South Kent had an open gym and Luke Murray was there recruiting another player and offered Johnson a preferred walk-on spot.

“I made the right decision to come here, because I would say it was the best two years of my life,” Johnson said. “The coaches instilled a hard work ethic in me and made me a better player and a smarter player. I was around some tremendous guys that I will have lifelong relationships with.

“For a hometown Connecticut kid, it is crazy to get to be part of two national championships. I wouldn’t trade it for anything or change anything about it.”

“Going against the best point guard in the country and against the freshman of the year every day in practice it is hard not to get better,” Johnson said. “Those guys pushed me, and I pushed them. It helped me get used to playing against bigger guards and stronger guards and smart guards. We pushed each other hard, because at the end of the day we are like brothers who wanted to see each other do better."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Good article with lots of quotes from him about his decision to transfer in the Waterbury Republican-American. Unfortunately none of the websites to take down a paywall work on that newspaper. But here are some quotes below. I didn't know that he had offers from low majors like Iona, St. Peter’s, Towson, Quinnipiac and Boston University but then very early in his senior year he tore ligaments in his elbow and got Clostridioides difficile and his senior season was over after just two games and all the offers disappeared. But then late in the season South Kent had an open gym and Luke Murray was there recruiting another player and offered Johnson a preferred walk-on spot.

“I made the right decision to come here, because I would say it was the best two years of my life,” Johnson said. “The coaches instilled a hard work ethic in me and made me a better player and a smarter player. I was around some tremendous guys that I will have lifelong relationships with.

“For a hometown Connecticut kid, it is crazy to get to be part of two national championships. I wouldn’t trade it for anything or change anything about it.”

“Going against the best point guard in the country and against the freshman of the year every day in practice it is hard not to get better,” Johnson said. “Those guys pushed me, and I pushed them. It helped me get used to playing against bigger guards and stronger guards and smart guards. We pushed each other hard, because at the end of the day we are like brothers who wanted to see each other do better."

Did the article mention the level of schools he was looking to transfer to?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom