And Jeff Walz says.... | The Boneyard

And Jeff Walz says....

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
He identified the Elephant in every conference media event this fall. So kudos for stating the obvious? 2 final four beat downs and largest NC loss ever. Breanna, KML, MOJETT Kiah, Tuck et al vs The Chasers. Yup, Jeff is out there on a limb all right!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Wendy Parker @wparker · 4h 4 hours ago
Walz also said while he thinks he's joined the top league in the country, "I'm not afraid to say we're all chasing UConn." #ACCmediaday

Reminiscent of a comment once (or more) made about UNC during their long and dominant reign in women's soccer:

"There are two types of soccer players: Those that want to play for UNC and those who want to beat UNC."
Now applicable to UConn and Jeff admits it.

Reaction Score
Captain Obvious :rolleyes:
I second that! I don't necessarily know if he just volunteered that or whether it was in response to a question but anyone who coaches women's college basketball who doesn't think that over the last twenty years and particularly at this moment in time UConn is the team to beat, then they aren't worthy to be coaches. They may not state it but the writing is on the wall, on the ceiling, on the floor and anywhere else you want to gaze.

Reaction Score
Reminiscent of a comment once (or more) made about UNC during their long and dominant reign in women's soccer:

"There are two types of soccer players: Those that want to play for UNC and those who want to beat UNC."
Now applicable to UConn and Jeff admits it.
It's more appropriate to say there are two types of basketball players, 1) those that are driven to win a NC and 2) those that go somewhere other than UCONN!

Reaction Score
I like Walz too, but the big talk about the best conference was the same thing from the ACC with the mens teams last year. After all that pre-season bravado, how did it work out for the ACC in the tournament? It didn't measure up.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
It's more appropriate to say there are two types of basketball players, 1) those that are driven to win a NC and 2) those that go somewhere other than UCONN!

Coaches named McGraw, Walz, Mulkey, and Staley are among those who disagree and you may be sure that their pitch to players like Ogwumike, Durr, Mulkey and Wilson included a challenge to sign on with them to help knock Goliath on his ass.

Reaction Score
Coaches named McGraw, Walz, Mulkey, and Staley are among those who disagree and you may be sure that their pitch to players like Ogwumike, Durr, Mulkey and Wilson included a challenge to sign on with them to help knock Goliath on his ass.
and a mere two NC between them in twenty years

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Well, three. McGraw has one and Mulkey has two.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I like Walz too, but the big talk about the best conference was the same thing from the ACC with the mens teams last year. After all that pre-season bravado, how did it work out for the ACC in the tournament? It didn't measure up.

Just like in football last year.... the SEC was the best overall conference, yet a Powerful team from the lowly ACC won the championship.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score

I think we've had this discussion on the BY before but perhaps in a different context - what makes a conference the best?

IMO, having championships is an element, but more important is strength of the teams within the conference, top to bottom. Who here believes that last year, the ACC was the top conference in football because FSU won the title? Does that make the ACC stronger than the SEC?

Or closer to home, that the American conference in WBB was the best conference because we won the title last year? If that were true, then I'm shocked, absolutely shocked, that folks on this board would like us to relocate to the ACC or Big Ten.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
and a mere two NC between them in twenty years

I didn't say it worked as advertised. The point I tried to make was that this appeal (admittedly, by necessity) is the one used by competent coaches as they try to lure blue-chip recruits to play for them. Their problem is obvious: Geno just keeps cutting down the nets.

Reminiscent of the immortal lawyer, Clarence Darrow, advising young legal minds how to argue a case before a jury. Something like this:

"When you have the law on your side but not the facts, pound on the law.
When you have the facts but not the law, pound on the facts.
When you have neither the law nor the facts, pound on the table."

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Just like in football last year.... the SEC was the best overall conference, yet a Powerful team from the lowly ACC won the championship.
AAC? ACC what have you done for me lately (in my Janet Jackson voice)

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
I really like Walz. He reminds me of a younger Geno. Glad we are playing them again. Plus, the sideshow of Geno and Jeff verbally sparring is always a treat. I'd love to be down the bar eavesdropping when those two get together for dinner and drinks. (He'd probably give Jeff the night off from wait staffing as a side benefit... ;))

Reaction Score

Maybe that's because all those teams from the best overall conference beat up on each other. Look at this year, for instance, with 4 of the top 5 not only being from the same conference but from the same division w/ another member also ranked in the top 25, in LSU. But as we know they will not all get in because they still have to play one another. And that can't be said for the ACC

Reaction Score
Maybe that's because all those teams from the best overall conference beat up on each other. Look at this year, for instance, with 4 of the top 5 not only being from the same conference but from the same division w/ another member also ranked in the top 25, in LSU. But as we know they will not all get in because they still have to play one another. And that can't be said for the ACC

As Geno likes to say- We can't control WHO we play, but we can control HOW we play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom