Analysis of post-game comments from 7 losses | The Boneyard

Analysis of post-game comments from 7 losses

Status
Not open for further replies.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
No. 2 Duke Falls to No. 1 UConn 83-61 (2013-2014)

"So it’s a very good learning experience for us as a team. We’ll go from here."

"Without question it’s great for us to learn and recognize what we have to do as a group. Plenty of games coming up…I know people like to make a big deal about it because it’s No. 1 and No. 2 and all of that. I think the bigger deal is the Final Four. That’s the biggest deal and trying to pursue a national championship at that level and this helps us in our journey to get better and figure things out. Whether it’s ball movement, whether it’s stops on defense. There are quite a few things we can look at."

No. 4 Duke Falls to No. 3 Connecticut 79-49 (2012-2013)

"It was a tale of two halves for us," McCallie said. "It's consistent for us, how we've been playing all year. We played some great 20-minute ball, but have been non-existent for 40 minutes. Give credit to Connecticut. They played well in the second half. There are some great lessons for us to learn from. It will allow us to become a better team."

No. 3 UConn Tops No. 5 Duke 61-45 (2011-2012)

"Obviously just a really defensive basketball game and a physical game. Great battle, a great opportunity for us. We took a lot of shots. And I think, hopefully, we're going to learn a valuable lesson when we watch on film as we don't move the basketball and we don't connect and play together."

"But in the same sense, I bet we might have been able to do better there. I'll look at the film. It's a great lesson for us. We need to learn. We need to learn how to play together and play off each other in those situations. We took a lot of rushed shots - off-balanced and rushed."

"These are the things that allow a team to have a history like Connecticut has or somebody else. These are the things that separate banners and not. And we've got to understand that, we've got to learn from that. We've got to be open to that and recognize that there's a lot in here for us to pull."

Duke Falls to Top-Ranked UConn, 75-40, in Regional Final (2011 NCAA Tournament)

"I do think it's a learning process with young players and new circumstances. Connecticut has not lost in the NCAA Tournament in three years, that's a lot of tradition for our kids to understand."

"Again, you have to give credit to UConn, they shot 72 percent in the second half, 59 percent for the game, we didn't disrupt them much. They played terrifically, much better than they did against Georgetown which I'm sure they were trying to do. Just lessons for us, lessons that we'll take and learn from."

No. 3 Duke Suffers First Loss at No. 2 Connecticut, 87-51 (2010-2011)

"How many times can you keep letting someone punch you?" said Duke coach Joanne P. McCallie. "I mean, the outcome was never in question here. You all know that. I am about the process and the fight, and we had no fight."

No. 6 Duke Falls to No. 1 UConn, 81-48 (2009-2010)

"I'm excited for ACC play, we've got a great game on Thursday night and we'll get right at it," McCallie said. "A little film in the morning always brightens your day and allows us to learn what we need to learn and we'll move forward."

No. 2 UConn Knocks Off No. 9 Duke, 74-48 (2007-2008)

First-year Duke coach Joanne McCallie, who suffered her first loss with the team, said this year's Connecticut team is one of the deepest she has seen.

"They outrebounded us, they played more physical than we did and they definitely shared the ball a little better than we did," she said. "They're ahead of us at this time of the year. They were very strong and very well balanced in their attack."

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
The questions remain what lessons were learned and were they applied, as the players and assistant coaches change, the top recruiting classes continue to come, but the 20+ losses still when Duke is ranked in the top five still persist.

If the results are still the same (in terms of the blowout losses) and the season results are still the same (0-4 in the Elite Eight in six years), what lessons are learned and applied going forward?

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Cam,

Maybe those Duke kids aren't as smart as everyone thinks they are.... :)

But seriously, watching these McCallie pressers is like watching Groundhog Day. The problem(s) never seem to be about coaching or tactics. Suppose Geno and Joanne traded places two weeks before the game. Do you think UConn would beat Duke by 20+?

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
But seriously, watching these McCallie pressers is like watching Groundhog Day. The problem(s) never seem to be about coaching or tactics. Suppose Geno and Joanne traded places two weeks before the game. Do you think UConn would beat Duke by 20+?

At this point, I think McCallie could be coaching this year's UConn roster and Geno would still beat her by 20+ points with a starting lineup of IceBear, DoggyDaddy, EricSanDiego, Phil, and TonyC wearing an Al Brown sweater, with HuskyNan serving as Chris Dailey.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
I edited the quotes to the following:

"So it’s a very good learning experience for us as a team.
"Without question it’s great for us to learn

There are some great lessons for us to learn from.
And I think, hopefully, we're going to learn a valuable lesson when we watch on film...
It's a great lesson for us. We need to learn.
we've got to learn from that.

"I do think it's a learning process with young players and new circumstances.
Just lessons for us, lessons that we'll take and learn from."

"A little film in the morning always brightens your day and allows us to learn what we need to learn and we'll move forward."

cam....not trying to be negative but there is a pattern here....;) 2007-2013 and always w/ the "learning experience and great lessons." Reminds me of my son, entering his 6th year of college...always tells me how much he is learning..:cool:. Key question in both cases...When is graduation?:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Everyone is saying what a great recruiter McCallie is and yes she has recently recruited a ton of talent but where is the growth of this Talent? As a coach is she getting the most out of her palyers?
Also Duke as a school has helped a great deal with the recruiting, strong academics, beautiful campus etc.
Bottom line with the talent she has had lately ,she has not done much in the NCAA tournaments. She is not a good X's and O's coach, cannot make half-time adjustments or game adjustments. I am not impressed. Also I have read a lot of things today and don't see much recognition for the job Uconn did against but rather " we did not rebound, play defense or offense", give Uconn credit for preventing this from Happening.

Reaction Score
Cam,

I don't think for a second that McCallie is in the same league with Geno, but I would ask, assuming a UConn starting lineup of Dolson, Stewart, Mosqueda-Lewis, Hartley and Jefferson, 'which players on the Duke team would start at UConn?' ...certainly not Williams, Peters or Liston and probably not Jones...maybe Gray, but that's not a certainty either. 'Which Duke subs would play ahead of UConn's bench?' Chidom or Cooper over Tuck or Stokes? I don't think so. I don't think I'd take Jackson or Wells over Banks? Add in the best coaching staff in the game and is it so hard to see why Duke gets thumped?

Reaction Score
Cam,

your comment about coaches switching reminds me of what Bum Philips said about a certain coach he could coach his'n and beat your'n or he could coach your'n and beat his'n
Who was he taliking about ?

Reaction Score
your comment about coaches switching reminds me of what Bum Philips said about a certain coach he could coach his'n and beat your'n or he could coach your'n and beat his'n
Who was he taliking about ?

Don Shula

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
cam....not trying to be negative but there is a pattern here....;) 2007-2013 and always w/ the "learning experience and great lessons." Reminds me of my son, entering his 6th year of college...always tells me how much he is learning..:cool:. Key question in both cases...When is graduation?:rolleyes:

I hope you do not mind, but I had to bring this over to the Duke board to post it in the thread I started there similar to this one. It was just too funny not to share!

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Duke I believe started 3 Seniors, 1 Junior and Sophomore. I have to believe if Geno coached at Duke for 4 years, the starting players would be significantly improved. Gray and Williams were ranked as Top of their classes in different recruiting services. Kaleena and Stewie were tops in UConn classes with Moriah rated #2 in some recruiting services. Coming out of High School there is not much difference between Duke and UConn players. The development and system that UConn has is where there is a significant difference that has led to the blowouts.

I don't think for a second that McCallie is in the same league with Geno, but I would ask, assuming a UConn starting lineup of Dolson, Stewart, Mosqueda-Lewis, Hartley and Jefferson, 'which players on the Duke team would start at UConn?' ...certainly not Williams, Peters or Liston and probably not Jones...maybe Gray, but that's not a certainty either. 'Which Duke subs would play ahead of UConn's bench?' Chidom or Cooper over Tuck or Stokes? I don't think so. I don't think I'd take Jackson or Wells over Banks? Add in the best coaching staff in the game and is it so hard to see why Duke gets thumped?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The questions remain what lessons were learned and were they applied, as the players and assistant coaches change, the top recruiting classes continue to come, but the 20+ losses still when Duke is ranked in the top five still persist.

If the results are still the same (in terms of the blowout losses) and the season results are still the same (0-4 in the Elite Eight in six years), what lessons are learned and applied going forward?

She needs to get her kids to play hard (and focused) for 40 minutes. That's a preparation thing (on the Coaches). There were times last night when Duke buckled down and looked really good. They need to put that in a bottle and sip from it for 40 minutes. I don't know how she learns to implement that with her team? But its on coach P to get that out of her players.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Duke I believe started 3 Seniors, 1 Junior and Sophomore. I have to believe if Geno coached at Duke for 4 years, the starting players would be significantly improved. Gray and Williams were ranked as Top of their classes in different recruiting services. Kaleena and Stewie were tops in UConn classes with Moriah rated #2 in some recruiting services. Coming out of High School there is not much difference between Duke and UConn players. The development and system that UConn has is where there is a significant difference that has led to the blowouts.

I think you are putting too much faith in rankings though. Just because someone is ranked high doesn't mean they are going to be the best (see Anne Strother and Charde Houston), with the exception of the transcendent talents (Stewie, Parker, MM, DT). I would have taken KML and Stewie over any of their guys coming out of high school.

I think Geno got way more out of Dolson thank Coach P ever would.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
When Joseph Heller was reminded that in 20 or 30 years he had not written anything to equal "Catch 22", his reply was; "Well, yes, that is true; but neither has anyone else." I can't see being too hard on McCallie. Of course she does not beat UConn, but who does? (Well, OK, Muffet, but most of those losses were on the flukey side and I'm betting that it will be a long time before it happens again.)

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Duke is playing Kentucky soon -- I believe this Sunday, while UConn faces Cal. I wonder if they will be able to win that game -- to me, it is debatable whether they can. Obviously, if they do, that will make UConn's victory look all the more significant.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I think you are putting too much faith in rankings though. Just because someone is ranked high doesn't mean they are going to be the best (see Anne Strother and Charde Houston), with the exception of the transcendent talents (Stewie, Parker, MM, DT). I would have taken KML and Stewie over any of their guys coming out of high school.

I think Geno and CD got way more out of Dolson thank Coach P ever would.

:)

Reaction Score

I think Geno got way more out of Dolson thank Coach P ever would.
I think it was Chris who got Steph motivated...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Frodo - I think the bigger issue is: if Grey or Williams or ... had two or three years under Geno would there now be a toss-up between Stef and Williams, or Grey and Hartley, or ... A lot of us suspect there would be, certainly based on HS rep, those kids were as well regarded as their Uconn counterparts and a number of them were on Geno's list. But while HS Stef and Senior Stef are radically different, Junior Williams is just three years older. Geno really does run a master class in basketball IQ while a lot of coaches just coach.
Cam - great quotes and thanks for taking the time to pull up the history. When put next to each other they are frighteningly similar. Some of that is boiler plate coach speak, but it does point to a team and program not making progress. Again, Uconn is a pretty high mountain and except for a few coaches it is a harsh comparison - more troubling is the no final fours. Louisville has been absolutely pasted in finals by Uconn (as well as regular season games) but at least they made it to the games and were the 'other' school left standing.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Frodo - I think the bigger issue is: if Grey or Williams or ... had two or three years under Geno would there now be a toss-up between Stef and Williams, or Grey and Hartley, or ... A lot of us suspect there would be, certainly based on HS rep, those kids were as well regarded as their Uconn counterparts and a number of them were on Geno's list. But while HS Stef and Senior Stef are radically different, Junior Williams is just three years older. Geno really does run a master class in basketball IQ while a lot of coaches just coach.

These kids aren't programmable pieces though. They have different mindsets, different goals, different ceilings. We know that Geno recruits/gets a very specific type of player (mentally).

And your point above also assumes recruiting rankings are accurate coming out of highschool, which we all know is bunk.

All that said, Geno does do it better than anyone else.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
At this point, I think McCallie could be coaching this year's UConn roster and Geno would still beat her by 20+ points with a starting lineup of IceBear, DoggyDaddy, EricSanDiego, Phil, and TonyC wearing an Al Brown sweater, with HuskyNan serving as Chris Dailey.
I'm upset I didn't make the starting line-up... But I am a walk-on.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Duke is playing Kentucky soon -- I believe this Sunday, while UConn faces Cal. I wonder if they will be able to win that game -- to me, it is debatable whether they can. Obviously, if they do, that will make UConn's victory look all the more significant.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they win…somethings about this game brings out the worst in them.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I edited the quotes to the following:

"So it’s a very good learning experience for us as a team.
"Without question it’s great for us to learn

There are some great lessons for us to learn from.
And I think, hopefully, we're going to learn a valuable lesson when we watch on film...
It's a great lesson for us. We need to learn.
we've got to learn from that.
"I do think it's a learning process with young players and new circumstances.
Just lessons for us, lessons that we'll take and learn from."

"A little film in the morning always brightens your day and allows us to learn what we need to learn and we'll move forward."
Me thinks perhaps McCallie is the one with the learning disability.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I am very good at clogging the lane and cargo boxing out.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score

I can guarantee Geno would retire before the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom