Americans Abroad | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Americans Abroad

Reaction Score
Curious to see what happens with Yedlin. He's been crediting Big Sam as a very positive influence on his progression, so another year there wouldn't be the worst thing for him. Glad to see EH get a PL contract. Makes for 3 USAers in the Prem now

Sunderland reportedly made Spurs an offer.

Reaction Score
Benny is my second favorite player to watch in MLS. My favorite was just sold to Qatar.. bummer. Benny is really abrasive, I think Jurgen hates his temperament on the field.

Not defending Alvarado because I can't stand him. But he was coming on really strong last year with Club America so he warranted a look. Sticking with him for so long was a major mistake.

BTW, Yedlin is basically becoming the new Brek Shea, only without the bizarre behavior. He'll be back in MLS this summer. Sunderland has little use for him so you can't see how he would figure in to Tottenham.

Good call on Yedlin.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
You think he's been good in this tournament?

I think he has improved from a year ago. He has shown an above average ability to defend one v one, and his speed has been enough to cover some of his mistakes. Is he "good?" He is the best option we have at the position but has been the worst of the 4 starting defenders. Besler needed Bedoya to help cover his side. He still makes a lot of mistakes and he isn't going to be playing for a CL team anytime soon, but he has been good enough outside his mental breakdowns, which is the worst part of his game. If Yedlin had game sense of Besler, he'd be playing for a better club.

But if you are asking for the most dissapointing performances from the US squad in this tournament Yedlin is in the top three with Zardes and Bradley. The team hasn't play as well as it has in the last three games since 2009/10.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
FWIW, the studio team from Fox is in full denial/rah rah mode as to what is working and what isn't. Their limp defense of Zardes has been embarrassing.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
My US "MVP" leaderboard to date.

1. Brooks - Ainec.
2. Dempsey - Has made his touches count.
3. Guzan - Has had to make several game saving stops to bail out the few defensive miscues, suffering from lack of love.
4. Jones - Drops two spots for a terrible red card.
5. Wood - IMO the reason the US attack has been humming, needs to produce more goals to supplant Dempsey as "the man."
6. Bedoya - Fox keeps talking about how Zardes work rate has been instrumental. Right idea, wrong player. Bedoya has been doing work.
7. Cameron - Gets the nod over Johnson for being the guy with his head up looking to spring Wood and Zardes.
8. Johnson - Hasn't gotten forward enough for me, but defended his side well in spite of being targeted. Rank suffers from expectations.
9. Bradley - Another guy suffering from expectations, still doing well on set pieces but the giveaways in bad positions are dangerous.
10. Yedlin - Handball PK, a red card, not much going forward. Seems harsh given how few goals have been allowed, but who's he outrank?
11. Zardes - His touch has improved in the last few games, but as a striker, attacking midfielder, you need better ball control. The production he has given is easily replaced by a lot of guys willing to run up and down the field.

Reaction Score
I think he has improved from a year ago. He has shown an above average ability to defend one v one, and his speed has been enough to cover some of his mistakes. Is he "good?" He is the best option we have at the position but has been the worst of the 4 starting defenders. Besler needed Bedoya to help cover his side. He still makes a lot of mistakes and he isn't going to be playing for a CL team anytime soon, but he has been good enough outside his mental breakdowns, which is the worst part of his game. If Yedlin had game sense of Besler, he'd be playing for a better club.

But if you are asking for the most dissapointing performances from the US squad in this tournament Yedlin is in the top three with Zardes and Bradley. The team hasn't play as well as it has in the last three games since 2009/10.

Besler isn't even remotely a fullback though. But he is a cerebral player who has a heck of left foot. He has enough to stand on his head for one game.

The jury is out on Yedlin. If Sunderland buys him, it will probably be for less than what Tottenham paid. Frankly, even if Sunderland held onto him, it's still Sunderland, a not even mediocre EPL club. Frankly I would have thought he would have progressed further.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Besler isn't even remotely a fullback though. But he is a cerebral player who has a heck of left foot. He has enough to stand on his head for one game.

The jury is out on Yedlin. If Sunderland buys him, it will probably be for less than what Tottenham paid. Frankly, even if Sunderland held onto him, it's still Sunderland, a not even mediocre EPL club. Frankly I would have thought he would have progressed further.

I think he's come along way. Last year I saw him as a gimmick defender because we needed someone at the position. I thought his future was as a midfielder (in Zardes spot quite frankly). I watched a fair number of Sunderland matches this season and he is a legit defender even though he has a lot to learn about the game. I was encouraged by his physical skill set and think he has another two years before you can say he will be good or not. He is certainly a better project candidate than Altidore ever was. Ask yourself if you'd rather have him or Chandler? Last year that was an easy call, now not so much.

Reaction Score
I think he's come along way. Last year I saw him as a gimmick defender because we needed someone at the position. I thought his future was as a midfielder (in Zardes spot quite frankly). I watched a fair number of Sunderland matches this season and he is a legit defender even though he has a lot to learn about the game. I was encouraged by his physical skill set and think he has another two years before you can say he will be good or not. He is certainly a better project candidate than Altidore ever was. Ask yourself if you'd rather have him or Chandler? Last year that was an easy call, now not so much.

In Club soccer, I want Chandler. He plays great in the Bundesliga. Edge to Yedlin for the USMNT.

Reaction Score
If Brooks plays his next game like he has played the others some team in the EPL is going to through 20 million after him. His style is perfect for the league and he is still really young and likely to keep getting better.

Reaction Score
FWIW, the studio team from Fox is in full denial/rah rah mode as to what is working and what isn't. Their limp defense of Zardes has been embarrassing.

We are not where we are without Zardes. Speed, work rate and positioning are all also important skills. It's not just your touches.

Reaction Score
You think he's been good in this tournament?

I think he's not been as good as I thought he was the last three months for Sunderland. That having been said, speed makes up for a lot, and he has speed. He's basically a poor man's Kyle Walker at this point, but (i) he's a few years younger than Walker and no reason to think his skills won't keep improving, and (ii) Walker is, after all, starting for England and a Champions League side. Being a "poor man's" version of him is not a bad place for such a young player to be.

Reaction Score
The Washington Post's Soccer Insider report/blog has already been updated for "How American soccer players abroad performed this weekend".
How American soccer players abroad performed this weekend

In Germany the Bundesliga starts play next weekend, but all first division teams are involved in the German Cup. Dortmund (Pulisic) and Hamburg (Wood) play tomorrow (Monday 22 Aug). John Anthony Brooks played the first half today for Hertha Berlin against third division Jahn Regensburg, a team I have been following. Jahn were just promoted back into the division after a year in the Regionalliga (4th div). Maybe Hertha should have left Brooks in the defense because 6 minutes into the second half Regensburg scored. Hertha, who finished 7th last season in the Bundesliga, did pull it out on penalty kicks after extra time.

I believe starting midfielder Jann-Christopher George on the Regensburg team would be eligible for the U.S. Have to see how he develops under the new coach and higher level competition.

Reaction Score
Thanks for posting. Curious to see where Yedlin and Zelalam are loaned.supposedly several EPL and League Championship teams are inquiring about Yedlin. Hopefully Miaga and CCV get loaned out as well, so they can't get meaningful time.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Thanks for posting. Curious to see where Yedlin and Zelalam are loaned.supposedly several EPL and League Championship teams are inquiring about Yedlin. Hopefully Miaga and CCV get loaned out as well, so they can't get meaningful time.
Last I read, and this was over a week ago, Sunderland wanted to bring Yedlin back. Not sure if that went anywhere but it would be a good move for him seeing how he didn't even make the bench in the first game for Spurs

Reaction Score
Last I read, and this was over a week ago, Sunderland wanted to bring Yedlin back. Not sure if that went anywhere but it would be a good move for him seeing how he didn't even make the bench in the first game for Spurs
agreed. I had read Sunderland wanted to purchase him, Villa, and I think either Bournemouth or another lower level EPL club wanted him on loan, and one Turkish club was inquiring. Would love to see him back at Sunderland where he knows the players, the system, and they are a team that is forced to defend A LOT, so he will get a lot of work against top ate players.

Reaction Score
Just saw Yedlin is now with Newcastle, hopefully this brings consistent PT his way

Reaction Score
Just saw Yedlin is now with Newcastle, hopefully this brings consistent PT his way

A decent review of this move. Newcastle is a top flight team, unfortunately, management there has been high school club level and they got regulated last year after dancing around it for a few seasons. Thus, there will be a hug push for them to move-up. If Yeldin gets a lot of playing time, which he was not going to get at Tottenham, its a good move.

Is DeAndre Yedlin's transfer to Newcastle a good move for the American?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I wish he had landed at Sunderland as they seemed to like him last year and it would still be top flight football. However, it's a new manager so maybe it wouldn't have been as good a fit. Regardless, hopefully he sees solid PT as he was not going to see that at Spurs

Reaction Score
Happy if he is starting and averaging 70+ minutes/match when he plays. Was also hoping he'd land with Sunderland for continuity sake, and he seemed to grow/develop/improve his game while playing there v. top flight competition.

Reaction Score
Perhaps if Big Sam was still around he'd get serious consideration from Sunderland. Any movement with Miazga?

Reaction Score
Sunderland wanted him. Newcastle offered more money. Money talks. Obviously everyone would prefer to see him in the BPL, but over the next six years it's probably more likely that Newcaste is in the BPL in any given year than Sunderland -- bigger fan base and more money.

Miazga will go somewhere on loan. It just may not be until the last minute.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom