American Sniper | Page 3 | The Boneyard

American Sniper

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Obviously not.

Well, he didn't invade Iraq, so ... Apparently do. And Bush 41 knew when to say mission accomplished. The job was to get them out of Kuwait.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well, he didn't invade Iraq, so ...
Yes, so obviously he didn't do his job.

And Bush 41 knew when to say mission accomplished. The job was to get them out of Kuwait.
And to enforce the peace treaty and the UN resolutions. Bush failed also by not invading sooner.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Yes, so obviously he didn't do his job.

And to enforce the peace treaty and the UN resolutions. Bush failed also by not invading sooner.

Bush 41 succeeded overwhelmingly. Bush 43 failed drastically. Iraq was no threat to the U.S. Saddam would have done a better job dealing with ISIS than those now running the show in Iraq.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Bush 41 succeeded overwhelmingly. Bush 43 failed drastically.
Oops sorry, I was talking Bush 43. (misread 41 or wasn't paying attention)

Iraq was no threat to the U.S.
Irrelevant to meeting the UN resolutions. Only reason Bush 41 didn't take him out was the peace treaty and UN resolutions. As soon as he violated them (early in Clinton's term) he needed to be taken out. To wait til after 9/11 was wrong. Clinton and Bush 43 were both wrong. At least Bush 43 made up for it later. Clinton was probably too busy schtuppin' Lewinsky. ;)

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Saddam was no threat to the U.S., even during the Clinton years. His taunting the U.S., and ignoring the UN resolution should have been met with bombing Saddams palaces, and whatever else was important to him.

Thousands of US lives and a trillion dollars was too high a price to pay.

Oops sorry, I was talking Bush 43. (misread 41 or wasn't paying attention)

Irrelevant to meeting the UN resolutions. Only reason Bush 41 didn't take him out was the peace treaty and UN resolutions. As soon as he violated them (early in Clinton's term) he needed to be taken out. To wait til after 9/11 was wrong. Clinton and Bush 43 were both wrong. At least Bush 43 made up for it later. Clinton was probably too busy schtuppin' Lewinsky. ;)

Reaction Score
Saddam was no threat to the U.S., even during the Clinton years. His taunting the U.S., and ignoring the UN resolution should have been met with bombing Saddams palaces, and whatever else was important to him.

Everyone thought Saddam had WMD's that could end up in the hands of terrorists.

By everyone, I mean, Bill Clinton, Al Gore, John Kerry, Hillary Clinton, The CIA, British Intelligence, Democrats on the Hill, Republicans on the hill, the US military, the Israelis, and virtually every intelligence agency on the planet.

Oh, BTW, he had used WMDs against the Kurds and Iran.

So, it's easy for you to sit back with perfect 20/20 hindsight and say Saddam was no threat. But at the time, everyone thought he was he threat. The CIA said it was a slam dunk that he had WMDs. It was the right move at the time given the intelligence we had. George W. took decisive action to protect Americans. In retrospect, the intelligence was bad. The decision was still the right one given the facts.

Your Monday morning QBing is very unimpressive.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Clinton thought he had WMD, but didn't invade. I don't solely blame Bush for the Iraq war. I blame the democrats in Congress even more. Many were against the first gulf war, but saw how well it turned out. They didn't want to miss out this time. Had the democrats had any integrity, I don't think the second war in Iraq would have happened.

Everyone thought Saddam had WMD's that could end up in the hands of terrorists.

By everyone, I mean, Bill Clinton, Al Gore, John Kerry, Hillary Clinton, The CIA, British Intelligence, Democrats on the Hill, Republicans on the hill, the US military, the Israelis, and virtually every intelligence agency on the planet.

Oh, BTW, he had used WMDs against the Kurds and Iran.

So, it's easy for you to sit back with perfect 20/20 hindsight and say Saddam was no threat. But at the time, everyone thought he was he threat. The CIA said it was a slam dunk that he had WMDs. It was the right move at the time given the intelligence we had. George W. took decisive action to protect Americans. In retrospect, the intelligence was bad. The decision was still the right one given the facts.

Your Monday morning QBing is very unimpressive.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Clinton thought he had WMD, but didn't invade. I don't solely blame Bush for the Iraq war. I blame the democrats in Congress even more. Many were against the first gulf war, but saw how well it turned out. They didn't want to miss out this time. Had the democrats had any integrity, I don't think the second war in Iraq would have happened.

Fear of standing up for what you believe in has long been a failing of the base democratic party. Your analysis of 2003 is spot on. Hillary lost because of it. I would say that Clinton's definition of WMD differed significantly from Bush's.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Fear of standing up for what you believe in has long been a failing of the base democratic party. Your analysis of 2003 is spot on. Hillary lost because of it. I would say that Clinton's definition of WMD differed significantly from Bush's.

My position on the WMDS claim is - so what? The WMD's Iraq was accused of have could be made by anyone with a degree in chemistry, or a fairly smart high school kid with poor parental supervision. We could have found stockpiles, and it would have done little to make us safer.

Reaction Score
It ties his motivation to join to the military to 9/11. Although his previous attempt to join the military would mean it was not.

BTW, since you raise the point, do you think we would have invaded Iraq if 9/11 never happened? I think that is a fair question.

In the movie he joined the military after watching the embassy bombing with his brother. He didn't meet his wife until after SEAL training, she told him she didn't date SEALS or something like that. The 9/11 scene was realization that he was going to war, the next scene after he 9/11 scene was his wedding when his platoon got news of deployment.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Well you're wrong. Sometimes the price is high for doing the right thing. Unfortunately. Tough decisions are not easy to make, but need to be made.

Reaction Score

Yes, but Clinton's presidency took place in a pre-9/11 world. The terrorism threat seemed distance. The concept of terrorists with WMDs had changed greatly by the Bush presidency. Saddam was consorting with known terrorists. He had the means and motive to hurt the USA . And he was daily violating the treaty he signed.

Again, it's easy to make these statement in 2015. To look back and say to was a mistake. Bush acted with your safety in mind. There was not another act of terrorism on the USA for the remainder of his presidency.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Without getting too much into the politics, all I want to know is the action content of this film? Is it movie theatre worthy or would it be just as enjoyable on a 47 inch LCD screen and surround sound?

Last edited:

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Yes, but Clinton's presidency took place in a pre-9/11 world. The terrorism threat seemed distance. The concept of terrorists with WMDs had changed greatly by the Bush presidency. Saddam was consorting with known terrorists. He had the means and motive to hurt the USA . And he was daily violating the treaty he signed.

Again, it's easy to make these statement in 2015. To look back and say to was a mistake. Bush acted with your safety in mind. There was not another act of terrorism on the USA for the remainder of his presidency.

That's some funny wingnut propaganda you've got there.

Reaction Score
Without getting too much into the politics, all I want to know is the action content of this film? Is it movie theatre worthy or would it be just as enjoyable on a 47 inch LCD screen and surround sound?
We watched it on our 55" tv, (a friend gets those SAG voting DVD's) and it was great. I can't compare it to big screen, but I don't feel like it was less of an experience on our TV w/ good surround sound.

Reaction Score
So it sure sounds like the movie ties 9/11 to the Iraq war.

Excuse me ? Kyle wanted to join before and after 9/11. That's just a fact. There was not a damn thing that tied 9/11 to Iraq. Other than 1 thing preceded the other.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I think most actions films are better on theatre screens. But if you're just as happy with watching it on TV and don't want to spend the $$ (which is usually ridiculous), that's fine.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Excuse me ? Kyle wanted to join before and after 9/11. That's just a fact. There was not a damn thing that tied 9/11 to Iraq. Other than 1 thing preceded the other.

If you are trying to say that Eastwood did not make an artistic choice to link 9/11 to the Iraq war in his film, I'm sorry I'm not buying it.

Reaction Score
That's some funny wingnut propaganda you've got there.

Read it again. Tell me what's not true.

Yes, but Clinton's presidency took place in a pre-9/11 world. (true or false)
The terrorism threat seemed distance. (true or false)
The concept of terrorists with WMDs had changed greatly by the Bush presidency. (true or false)
Saddam was consorting with known terrorists.(true or false)
He had the means and motive to hurt the USA . (true or false)
And he was daily violating the treaty he signed. (true or false)

Reaction Score

Yes, but Clinton's presidency took place in a pre-9/11 world. (true or false)
The terrorism threat seemed distance. (true or false)
The concept of terrorists with WMDs had changed greatly by the Bush presidency. (true or false)
Saddam was consorting with known terrorists.(true or false)
He had the means and motive to hurt the USA . (true or false)
And he was daily violating the treaty he signed. (true or false)

There was not another act of terrorism on the USA for the remainder of his presidency. By far the biggest terrorism attack in our history happened under his watch, not sure he should get brownie points for another one not happening and the Iraq war had nothing to do with us not being hit again.

Reaction Score
There was not another act of terrorism on the USA for the remainder of his presidency. By far the biggest terrorism attack in our history happened under his watch, not sure he should get brownie points for another one not happening and the Iraq war had nothing to do with us not being hit again.
You blame 9-11 on Bush!!!! Wow. He was in office 8 months when it happened

9-11 was completely funded and planned and rehearsed when Clinton was President. It was executed when Bush was president.

And it was Clinton who raised the wall between the CIA and FBI and made the dots almost impossible to connect.

Good grief.

Reaction Score
You blame 9-11 on Bush!!!! Wow. He was in office 8 months when it happened

9-11 was completely funded and planned and rehearsed when Clinton was President. It was executed when Bush was president.

And it was Clinton who raised the wall between the CIA and FBI and made the dots almost impossible to connect.

Good grief.
You touted us not being hit again after 9-11 like it was some sort of victory that was attained because of the war in Iraq. I just pointed out that this was silly and that 9-11 happened under his watch. How about after 9-11, 7+ years of not taking out Bin Laden. Does Obama get any credit for Bin Laden or did Bush set that all up for Obama?

temery

What?
Reaction Score

Yes, but Clinton's presidency took place in a pre-9/11 world. (true or false) True
The terrorism threat seemed distance. (true or false) False
The concept of terrorists with WMDs had changed greatly by the Bush presidency. (true or false) False
Saddam was consorting with known terrorists.(true or false) don't know, don't care.
He had the means and motive to hurt the USA . (true or false). So does over a dozen countries, including North Korea.
And he was daily violating the treaty he signed. (true or false). True.

Just a year or so ago the right blamed 9/11 on Clinton having ignored terrorist threats. Now it was a future problem. Wow.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom