American Sniper | The Boneyard

American Sniper

Reaction Score
Saw it tonight on IMAX. Lives up to the hype. Powerful. Strange how quiet the theatre was as everyone filed out at the end. Check it out.

Reaction Score
Have no interest in seeing it because it's become pretty clear Kyle was a pathological liar and borderline sociopath. It's sad what happened to him but my guess is the movie will simply be a session in hero worship and not get into any of the complexity of the man. I'll eventually see it but will probably wait until it's out on DVD.

Reaction Score
Have no interest in seeing it because it's become pretty clear Kyle was a pathological liar and borderline sociopath. It's sad what happened to him but my guess is the movie will simply be a session in hero worship and not get into any of the complexity of the man. I'll eventually see it but will probably wait until it's out on DVD.

An quite an American. Not sure they make that movie if he was all of what you say and not what we anticipate.

Reaction Score
An quite an American. Not sure they make that movie if he was all of what you say and not what we anticipate.
He was a great Sniper just not sure he was a good person, you really can't refute the fact that he was a liar.

Reaction Score
Do you have any links or anything superjohn? Just looking to read more about what you are referring to.

Reaction Score
Watched it last night. Great movie. Very well done. Cooper is great in it.

Reaction Score
Do you have any links or anything superjohn? Just looking to read more about what you are referring to.
Just do a google search there is tons of stuff out there. Jessie Ventura won 1.8 million from Kyle's estate because Kyle completely made up a story about Ventura for his book and then went on an interview press junket spreading the made up story about Ventura. He claimed Ventura was out at a bar in California, Ventura was in town to talk to Seal graduates the next day and there was also people there for a wake that was just held for a dead Navy Seal. Kyle said Ventura was saying the Seal deserved to die and that others should die because they kill innocent women and children, Kyle says he calmly told Ventura to stop and Ventura went on and on until Kyle knocked him out and Ventura had to go to his Navy Seal function the next day with a black eye. The entire story was fabricated on Kyle's part to sell books. He also made up a story of he and another sniper buddy going down to New Orleans after Katrina and camping out on rooftops shooting dozens of looters and there is a story of him killing a couple of guys in Texas after the war who tried to carjack him, this also never took place. I get that we all want heros to look up to and there is great bravery in what this guy and others have done in battle to keep us safe but there is just too much out there that leads me to believe Kyle was a bad guy.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Movie was great, shame there is a cloud around it.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Just do a google search there is tons of stuff out there. Jessie Ventura won 1.8 million from Kyle's estate because Kyle completely made up a story about Ventura for his book and then went on an interview press junket spreading the made up story about Ventura. He claimed Ventura was out at a bar in California, Ventura was in town to talk to Seal graduates the next day and there was also people there for a wake that was just held for a dead Navy Seal. Kyle said Ventura was saying the Seal deserved to die and that others should die because they kill innocent women and children, Kyle says he calmly told Ventura to stop and Ventura went on and on until Kyle knocked him out and Ventura had to go to his Navy Seal function the next day with a black eye. The entire story was fabricated on Kyle's part to sell books. He also made up a story of he and another sniper buddy going down to New Orleans after Katrina and camping out on rooftops shooting dozens of looters and there is a story of him killing a couple of guys in Texas after the war who tried to carjack him, this also never took place. I get that we all want heros to look up to and there is great bravery in what this guy and others have done in battle to keep us safe but there is just too much out there that leads me to believe Kyle was a bad guy.

Now I see why Kyle's dad was originally against doing a movie about his son. Kyle was clearly messed up, but apparently Eastwood whitewashed it.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Chris Kyle was troubled.

He was definitely a superlative soldier, but seemed troubled outside of that world.

I have to imagine killing 150 people through a rifle scope would leave all of us very damaged so I'm not about to condemn him for it. I feel sorry for him.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Two thoughts: Would Ventura have prevailed if Kyle is there to defend his side of the story? Does having a tendency to embellish or fabricate stories make someone a "bad guy?" If so I have some drinking buddies that are bad guys, entertaining as hell but bad guys...apparently.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score

You mean it wasn't the fact the he hid on roofs and shot 150 people in the head that led you to believe that he had some issues?
Is was that he was a bit of a bull shitter?

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
My neighbor served in special forces and parachuted behind enemy lines during Gulf War and said he killed people to compete his mission. He is one of the most decent, honest, best men I have ever met. So, don't start thinking that all of these guys are crazy. They are not.

Reaction Score
Maybe I was a little too harsh in calling him a bad person. I just found myself sticking up for Jessie Ventura who I find to be a major jackhole when it became clear Kyle had made up the whole story. It is a really lousy thing to say that about anyone especially somebody that was a Seal. Ventura is a jagbag but I thought it was totally unfair how everyone in the media destroyed him for continuing his lawsuit after Kyle was dead. He wasn't going to get money from Kyle's wife and when really terrible lies are spread about you, you simply have to clear your name. I think Fishy is right, the guy was the best at his job and his job was killing people. Killing 150+ people has to weigh on you psychologically in ways we will never know. The stories of him killing dozens of looters in New Orleans have to come from the mind of someone who is severely damaged, that isn't your typical braggart stuff, it's sociopathic.

Reaction Score
Maybe I was a little too harsh in calling him a bad person. I just found myself sticking up for Jessie Ventura who I find to be a major jackhole when it became clear Kyle had made up the whole story. It is a really lousy thing to say that about anyone especially somebody that was a Seal. Ventura is a jagbag but I thought it was totally unfair how everyone in the media destroyed him for continuing his lawsuit after Kyle was dead. He wasn't going to get money from Kyle's wife and when really terrible lies are spread about you, you simply have to clear your name. I think Fishy is right, the guy was the best at his job and his job was killing people. Killing 150+ people has to weigh on you psychologically in ways we will never know. The stories of him killing dozens of looters in New Orleans have to come from the mind of someone who is severely damaged, that isn't your typical braggart stuff, it's sociopathic.

I'm sorry to nitpick here, but he didn't kill 150+ people, he killed a 150+ dirt bags / enemies / criminals, all by the way, in a time of war. The 150+ terrorists / dirt bags he shot dead, were also trying to kill him, other soldiers, and innocent people. This is is far different than killing a regular innocent person in civilian life. I'm totally glad he killed 150 of them ba_tards, I only wish it was even more or that I had the chance to do it. I have absolutely no problems or issues with his work in the military.

No matter that he might have embellished some stories, the man was a huge hero and top level soldier. simply one of the greatest soldiers in US military history. Period, end of story.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry to nitpick here, but he didn't kill 150+ people, he killed a 150+ dirt bags / enemies / criminals, all by the way, in a time of war. The 150+ terrorists / dirt bags he shot dead, were also trying to kill him, other soldiers, and innocent people. This is is far different than killing a regular innocent person in civilian life. I'm totally glad he killed 150 of them ba_tards, I only wish it was even more or that I had the chance to do it. I have absolutely no problems or issues with his work in the military.

No matter that he might have embellished some stories, the man was a huge hero and top level soldier. simply one of the greatest soldiers in US military history. Period, end of story.
Of course I have no problem with him killing other soldiers and people that want to kill Americans. As much as these people suck, they are still people and killing massive amounts of people has to weigh on you somewhat or you are not human. He didn't embellish some stories, he flat out made up stories. He was great at his job and my guess is his job damaged him.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
He was a great Sniper just not sure he was a good person, you really can't refute the fact that he was a liar.
Disagree. I think there is plenty there to prove he's a great guy. Willing to sacrifice himself. Pretty much everyone who knew him liked him. Granted he was a "good ole Texas boy" and got into his share of troubles. But he was definitely the kind of guy you'd want on your side and know he'd have your back.

However, I do think he had some pretty big demons when he came back from Iraq. Those probably played into his "lies". IDK, maybe he tried too hard to keep the "Legend" alive? Or thought he had too?? Certainly nobody is perfect and he wasn't close. But he did many, many good things to help lots of people.

I think overall he was a "good" person who had demons he had to deal with. Probably living up to "Chris Legend Kyle" was one of them.

Ventura on the other hand, suing the estate after Kyle was murdered. Now that's a bad person. IMO.

Reaction Score
I'm witholing my opinion until Michael Moore has had a chance to weigh in...... :mad:

Reaction Score
I'm witholing my opinion until Michael Moore has had a chance to weigh in. :mad:

Think there is a scale that goes that high? Rutger fans disagree with him and wish he would stop wearing a RU baseball cap.

Reaction Score
Disagree. I think there is plenty there to prove he's a great guy. Willing to sacrifice himself. Pretty much everyone who knew him liked him. Granted he was a "good ole Texas boy" and got into his share of troubles. But he was definitely the kind of guy you'd want on your side and know he'd have your back.

However, I do think he had some pretty big demons when he came back from Iraq. Those probably played into his "lies". IDK, maybe he tried too hard to keep the "Legend" alive? Or thought he had too?? Certainly nobody is perfect and he wasn't close. But he did many, many good things to help lots of people.

I think overall he was a "good" person who had demons he had to deal with. Probably living up to "Chris Legend Kyle" was one of them.

Ventura on the other hand, suing the estate after Kyle was murdered. Now that's a bad person. IMO.
Ventura sued like 2 years before Kyle died and didn't receive any money from Kyle's widow. If somebody says horrible untrue things about you and profits off of it, I think you need to clear your name. He claims he asked for an apology 4 or 5 times from Kyle and the publishers said they would take that part out of the book, they never did and Kyle was using his name in press interviews. You can dislike Ventura for all sorts of things but I never understood why he got destroyed for this.

Reaction Score
superjohn said:
Ventura sued like 2 years before Kyle died and didn't receive any money from Kyle's widow. If somebody says horrible untrue things about you and profits off of it, I think you need to clear your name. He claims he asked for an apology 4 or 5 times from Kyle and the publishers said they would take that part out of the book, they never did and Kyle was using his name in press interviews. You can dislike Ventura for all sorts of things but I never understood why he got destroyed for this.

Agree 100%. Ventura is an idiot but not for the lawsuit filed.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Ventura sued like 2 years before Kyle died and didn't receive any money from Kyle's widow.
Actually from what I read, he did get some from her, or rather the estate (which is now her and her kids). And he continued the suit after Kyle's death.

If somebody says horrible untrue things about you and profits off of it, I think you need to clear your name.
You really think this lowered Ventura's name any further down than it was? He's been a blowhard POS for pretty much his whole life. I doubt anyone would think less of him than they already did.

You can dislike Ventura for all sorts of things but I never understood why he got destroyed for this.
]
Probably because he's an @ss and it's a pretty low thing to do. I've also read he may try to sue again because the publishing company has made a lot more money now because of the movie.

Reaction Score
Saw it tonight on IMAX. Lives up to the hype. Powerful. Strange how quiet the theatre was as everyone filed out at the end. Check it out.

I saw that same comment from somone else. Agreed. Though its primarily because there is no music playing while the credits run.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom