American Sniper | The Boneyard

American Sniper

Reaction Score
Saw this for the first time last night. What a great film, Bradley Cooper was terrific as was the actress who played his wife. I cannot believe it only went home with one Oscar. Best film I've seen dealing with PTSD.

Reaction Score
I just did not like it, felt like too much of a propaganda "rah rah, go america" type of movie. That it was too simple, black and white: this is the good guy, those are the bad guys and that is it. I would have been more interested in a movie that really portrays the Iraq war in an honest, even if gruesome manner but this felt more like pat ourselves on the back jingoism. Then again, never been a fan of war movies any way. But I guess others will find things to like about it, good movie to just sit down and watch if you just want to relax and see something and leave it at that, and there is tons of action for action fans.

Reaction Score
I just did not like it, felt like too much of a propaganda "rah rah, go america" type of movie. That it was too simple, black and white: this is the good guy, those are the bad guys and that is it. I would have been more interested in a movie that really portrays the Iraq war in an honest, even if gruesome manner but this felt more like pat ourselves on the back jingoism. Then again, never been a fan of war movies any way. But I guess others will find things to like about it, good movie to just sit down and watch if you just want to relax and see something and leave it at that, and there is tons of action for action fans.
Was the movie about the Iraq war?

Reaction Score
It has been a while since I saw it but I also said I would have liked it more if it was about an honest portrayal of the Iraq war. Key word IF.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It has been a while since I saw it but I also said I would have liked it more if it was about an honest portrayal of the Iraq war. Key word IF.
Lmao that’s like saying “I would have enjoyed Remember the Titans more if they had more authentic play names”

Reaction Score
Not a bad movie, good not great. I like The Lone Survivor much more.

Reaction Score
Then again, never been a fan of war movies any way. But I guess others will find things to like about it, good movie to just sit down and watch if you just want to relax and see something and leave it at that, and there is tons of action for action fans.
If you haven’t seen Tropic Thunder yet you should.
Incredible portrayal of what the Vietnam war was probably like.

Reaction Score
Never heard of it, thank you, I will look into it later.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

It probably was more realistic than say, The Green Berets.

Reaction Score
Tropic Thunder was a caricature of what Vietnam was like. If you want to know what Nam was like, read Hal Moore's book about the Ia Drang.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Tropic Thunder was a caricature of what Vietnam was like. If you want to know what Nam was like, read Hal Moore's book about the Ia Drang.

Tropic Thunder was brilliant. Ben Stiller poking fun at Cruise and Tom Cruise masterfully poking fun at megalomaniacal Hollywood producers. So subtle too, Simple Jack was a jab at Cruises desires to take any role that might give him a shot at an Oscar. Robert Downey parodying Russell Crowe.

Ben Stiller got the idea when he was filming Empire of the Sun and he saw how actors were such Prima Donnas.

Incredible one liners too. “I just know the sound it makes when it takes a man’s life.”

It’s only if those movies like Stepbrothers that never gets old. Booty Sweat!

Reaction Score
I had the same problem with Star Wars. It didn't seem realistic to me. I wish it was a more honest war movie.

Reaction Score
Tropic Thunder was brilliant. Ben Stiller poking fun at Cruise and Tom Cruise masterfully poking fun at megalomaniacal Hollywood producers. So subtle too, Simple Jack was a jab at Cruises desires to take any role that might give him a shot at an Oscar. Robert Downey parodying Russell Crowe.

Ben Stiller got the idea when he was filming Empire of the Sun and he saw how actors were such Prima Donnas.

Incredible one liners too. “I just know the sound it makes when it takes a man’s life.”

It’s only if those movies like Stepbrothers that never gets old. Booty Sweat!
Oh it was brilliant, but showed Vietnam in caricature sort of way, which sometimes is the right way to look at things.

Reaction Score
Oh it was brilliant, but showed Vietnam in caricature sort of way, which sometimes is the right way to look at things.

I actually thought it was a caricature of Vietnam movies like Platoon, Hamburger Hill and Apocalypse Now.

Reaction Score
I actually thought it was a caricature of Vietnam movies like Platoon, Hamburger Hill and Apocalypse Now.
Yes, absolutely it was, but a caricature of those movies doesn't really show what Nam was really like, which was I diverged from "Vikings" post. I can see why he would say that but I just couldn't go along with it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom