American Next Year | The Boneyard

American Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We really should be the class of this league next year. Cincy and SMU lose some very important pieces, but have enough talent returning (Cincy) and our bringing in enough talent (SMU) to both be tournament teams next year. I think if Houston can add some decent big men they could be a tourney team as well as they should return their guards and wings who played very well as the season went on. They do lose Pollard though. Sampson has them on the right path.

After that, I don't see much. Tulsa basically loses their whole team, and while they have some decent players coming in, I see them as an NIT team next year. Temple also loses a ton in DeCousey, Bond and Coleman. They have some players coming in, so they may be a fringe tournament team if all breaks right.

I don't see much after that. Memphis is a mess, and then you have the dredges of the league in UCF, E. Carolina, USF and Tulane.

On paper (which I know guarantees nothing) we should be the Preseason team to beat in this conference.

Reaction Score
Things will be interesting next year below us. I think we're far and away the best team on paper going into preseason.

Reaction Score
Yes -- on paper I think we look like the team we've expected in the AAC -- a team that will run away with things.

Reaction Score
With Purvis staying, and Hamilton leaving, I still think UConn is the preseason favorite in the American. SMU has a nice class coming in, and I would put them at Number 2. Cincy at 3.

Reaction Score
I think Cincy should be preseason #1 but then again I thought they would be that this year and they were worse than the season before despite bringing back basically their entire roster.

Reaction Score
Last year's 6th place team loses 2/3 of its outside shooting, half its rebounding and 3 of its top 4 scorers and suddenly we're the class of the conference.

I'm as high on our incoming class as anybody, but the confidence in this thread is remarkable.

Reaction Score
Last year's 6th place team loses 2/3 of its outside shooting, half its rebounding and 3 of its top 4 scorers and suddenly we're the class of the conference.

I'm as high on our incoming class as anybody, but the confidence in this thread is remarkable.

It's not just that people think we'll be better, the other teams are losing a lot more than they're bringing back.

Reaction Score
Everyone has lost players. Cincy graduated 3 starters. SMU loses the two time player of the year, and Kennedy and Tolbert are gone. Temple loses 3 starters. Tulsa graduated 9 PLAYERS. So while UConn loses some important pieces, they have a Top 5 recruiting class coming in.

Reaction Score
If an SMU fan can update us on any potential eligibility issues with Bruno Fernando and/or Ted Kapita that would be good discussion. SMU probably returns a strong enough nucleus with Moore, Shake and Brown plus the new Aussies to get the nod as the top team pre season. If 1 of the 2 bigs mentioned doesn't qualify then UConn or the BearCats could be that team. I may be in the minority but coaching may give SMU a slight edge over their competitors in a tight race at the top.

Reaction Score
I'll go out on the limb and say SMU will be in the top 25 after the first couple weeks of the season. Larry Brown will coach those guys up. No lottery pick talent on that team but when you watch all the guys he puts on the court are well rounded players. They'll win a lot of games.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Not trying to criticize anyone here because I'm all for optimism, but I tend to agree with KingOPancakes. We have some good pieces coming back and some good players coming in. But MCBB is competitive and there are very few teams we are going to slaughter by 30. We SHOULD be better than the rest of the American, but so far we haven't been close to being the best. I'm cautiously optimistic, but I think it's way early to be so high on the team. It's not like we have Drummond, Gay and Allen coming in as freshmen...

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
If an SMU fan can update us on any potential eligibility issues with Bruno Fernando and/or Ted Kapita that would be good discussion. SMU probably returns a strong enough nucleus with Moore, Shake and Brown plus the new Aussies to get the nod as the top team pre season. If 1 of the 2 bigs mentioned doesn't qualify then UConn or the BearCats could be that team. I may be in the minority but coaching may give SMU a slight edge over their competitors in a tight race at the top.

Reaction Score
We're def. in the top three. I think we're a slam-dunk top-25 team. A run like this year's would make me satisfied.

Now provided we can keep most of the pieces from this COMING year's team for 17-18... yikes. We're national title contenders. Legitimately. I JUUUST don't feel like we've QUITE turned the corner to pop it into fourth gear like we have in the past. I think the Sweet 16 is a solid goal and who knows - if some pieces fall in, maybe we make a deeper run in the tournament. That's kind of where I'm at. Freshman are always such a question mark and most of them need to step in and contribute immediately. I just don't feel confident in that happening all at once. COULD happen, but not likely.

So yeah. Best of a pretty blah conference this year, Sweet 16 should be the goal. 17-18 though... that's what i'm looking forward to.

caw

Reaction Score
We're def. in the top three. I think we're a slam-dunk top-25 team. A run like this year's would make me satisfied.

Now provided we can keep most of the pieces from this COMING year's team for 17-18... yikes. We're national title contenders. Legitimately. I JUUUST don't feel like we've QUITE turned the corner to pop it into fourth gear like we have in the past. I think the Sweet 16 is a solid goal and who knows - if some pieces fall in, maybe we make a deeper run in the tournament. That's kind of where I'm at. Freshman are always such a question mark and most of them need to step in and contribute immediately. I just don't feel confident in that happening all at once. COULD happen, but not likely.

So yeah. Best of a pretty blah conference this year, Sweet 16 should be the goal. 17-18 though... that's what i'm looking forward to.

There could be some growing pains. This is a young team. With six new players and two second year players. The three seniors will have to keep things steady. Kind of reminds me of the makeup of Kembas second year in some ways, not saying things break the same way.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

6th place, but the second best team in the league to SMU. I know many say you are what your record says you are, but we struggled to integrate Gibbs and lost Brimah for a long stretch. UConn was definitely the 2nd best team in the league last year, and was simply unlucky in some games (as the KenPom stats bear out).

We lose Hamilton, a strong all around player. We lose Gibbs, who didn't fit the roster. Calhoun, a nice role player, and Miller, a beast before league play who faded against better competition.

We gain a year of experience for everyone else (especially Jalen and Enoch) and a top 5 recruiting class. We stabilize a roster disrupted by a PG who couldn't play PG. We bring in Gilbert, Larrier, Durham, Jackson, Diarra and Vital. Ultimately, I think this team is built more along traditional UConn lines. I expect Adams and Purvis to be a devastating combo, among the best back-courts in the country. I think our overall athleticism has improved, and KO will use the bench to wear people down.

Reaction Score
Cincinnati will be good. They return a lot of players.

The big faller will be Temple. Not sure about Houston.

JCSuperstar

Garbage Time All Star
Reaction Score
...and Miller, a beast before league play who faded against better competition.

I think next year's team has the potential to be better because of player role changes, the addition of another dynamic guard, and different people with a chance to step up, but I take exception to your appraisal of Miller. He was one of our best and most consistent all year. I remember him being someone we could go to for a basket when we really needed to settle down and stop the bleeding.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
I expect that starting this year UConn will begin a dominate run in the AAC reminiscent of the old Big East runs.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think next year's team has the potential to be better because of player role changes, the addition of another dynamic guard, and different people with a chance to step up, but I take exception to your appraisal of Miller. He was one of our best and most consistent all year. I remember him being someone we could go to for a basket when we really needed to settle down and stop the bleeding.

He was a very good player, but also had some games where he did almost nothing when we really needed him. I'd love to have him back for sure.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Will be curious to see if Houston can land Jarrett Allen, 5* C for 2016. Its down to UH, UT, and KU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom