Amature Hour | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Amature Hour

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was the at the game yesterday, it was first game I've been to in some time. I guess this is common knowledge, but the XL center itself is a turd and needs a renovation. Very inexpensive changes would make a major difference. Is there a reason it can't be as nice as the Barclays Center?

The blue/white chant was rough because nobody was doing it and it felt contrived. It's not just a southern thing, if you go to MSU (go green/go white) or PSU (we are/Penn State) or OSU (OH/IO) or ND (go/Irish) you'll hear similar chants. The let's get ready to rumble chant is fun because everyone does it...we already have enough chants, we don't need new ones.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
@whaler11 , did you misspell "amateur" in the thread title on purpose to make an ironic point?

No I always spell it wrong. That and environment.

I'm about telling - not spelling.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'm about telling - not spelling.
Can I interest you in a position as a security guard at the XL?

You can be all about telling - not selling...or spelling

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Can I interest you in a position as a security guard at the XL?

You can be all about telling - not selling...or spelling

Women who think they have the right to own a bag with which to carry their belongings is a problem that needs to be handled at the highest levels.

If someone sneaks in a bottle
of water the terrorists win.

Reaction Score
Women who think they have the right to own a bag with which to carry their belongings is a problem that needs to be handled at the highest levels.

I entered the building about ten minutes prior to tip yesterday and the women behind me was told she wouldn't be allowed to bring her bag in. She was mad. I honestly thought she was going to cry.

Terrorists probably win if the XL stands, IMO.

Reaction Score
I wish it was possible to make up how mickey mouse the operation was today at the XL Center.

From selling tickets to scanning entries to running something as simple as a concession.

Top to bottom a complete disaster.

It's a credit to the fanbase that people still turn out for games.

And for the love of God whoever thinks it's a good idea to have John Tuite scream Blue and White... do us all a favor and resign.
We did have a real half time. This is the 4th time the cup lady has done a half time.

Reaction Score
I was the at the game yesterday, it was first game I've been to in some time. I guess this is common knowledge, but the XL center itself is a turd and needs a renovation. Very inexpensive changes would make a major difference. Is there a reason it can't be as nice as the Barclays Center?

The blue/white chant was rough because nobody was doing it and it felt contrived. It's not just a southern thing, if you go to MSU (go green/go white) or PSU (we are/Penn State) or OSU (OH/IO) or ND (go/Irish) you'll hear similar chants. The let's get ready to rumble chant is fun because everyone does it...we already have enough chants, we don't need new ones.

Agreed with all that but it needs a major renovation. $200+ million at least

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
How are folks still ragging on the DJ when we are forced to sit through Jock Jams game after game with the worst PA announcer in the nation. Have the folks who run the XL ever bothered to go to Boston or NY to see how an arena is supposed to be run?

Reaction Score
How are folks still ragging on the DJ when we are forced to sit through Jock Jams game after game with the worst PA announcer in the nation. Have the folks who run the XL ever bothered to go to Boston or NY to see how an arena is supposed to be run?

Send complaints to Chris Lawrence.
GM of XL and the Rent. He's employed by Spectra that is owned by Comcast which has ownership of the Philadelphia Flyers and they manage 115+ arenas.

Email link
Spectra

Looks like Erin Bilton is Director of Marketing of XL and Rent as of 2013. Could have changed by now.

http://crdact.net/data/Unsorted/XL-Center-GlobalManagement-71938-1.pdf

The ticketing, security, concessions, marketing etc for the XL and Rent are through these guys. Contacting them or the CRDA (Michael Freimuth). Or your state representative/senator to help push the 250 million renovation

Recent public hearing presentation on the 250 million renovation
http://crdact.net/data/Unsorted/11-29-2016-XL-PublicHearingPresentation-73683-1.pdf

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Just a wild guess that they had a lot of staff who didn't show or wouldn't for a game in the middle of a weekday two days before Christmas. I seriously doubt that most concession people have this as their main job. Friday was not a holiday so those folks likely were working their main jobs.

Hopefully UConn won't be stupid enough to schedule a weekday 2:00 game again.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Just a wild guess that they had a lot of staff who didn't show or wouldn't for a game in the middle of a weekday two days before Christmas. I seriously doubt that most concession people have this as their main job. Friday was not a holiday so those folks likely were working their main jobs.

Hopefully UConn won't be stupid enough to schedule a weekday 2:00 game again.

Obviously that is part of the problem - but UConn doesn't pick the time and Symetra's job is to run the place.

Literally anyone with a clue could improve some of it in two seconds.

The bar for example is a disaster because of the amount of time it takes them to run credit cards.

Separating the areas into cash versus credit and you've improved. Create actual queues instead of just pure chaos.

Sell the cans of beer instead of the slow pouring tap beer.

And like WestHtfd said. Buy Jock Jams 2... mix it up.

Reaction Score

Jock jams is tradition. Just sayin'

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The bar for example is a disaster because of the amount of time it takes them to run credit cards.
Separating the areas into cash versus credit and you've improved. Create actual queues instead of just pure chaos.
Sell the cans of beer instead of the slow pouring tap beer.

So you don't like that they treat the bar like a bar? They could really speed things up if they dropped the mixed drinks, too.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score

Personally, I would rather fight off a terror attack than try to separate a woman from her handbag,

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So you don't like that they treat the bar like a bar? They could really speed things up if they dropped the mixed drinks, too.

I guess we should just ignore that every other arena in the country can handle simple things like this.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I guess we should just ignore that every other arena in the country can handle simple things like this.

They should have had more people working and they didn't have any stand-alone beer kiosks for the game. That's bad management. They should bring back the Two Roads stand-alone they had behind 111 for the Boss. But the bar area is a bar and it's the same at bar areas in other arenas I've been to when it's crowded. This thread is so Connecticut. Massive bitching at minor (or non-existent) issues. I asked what was so bad and the answers were: Crowded bar area, lousy music during time outs, a noisy bathroom and not liking the color of the paint. Talk about first-world problems.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
They should have had more people working and they didn't have any stand-alone beer kiosks for the game. That's bad management. They should bring back the Two Roads stand-alone they had behind 111 for the Boss. But the bar area is a bar and it's the same at bar areas in other arenas I've been to when it's crowded. This thread is so Connecticut. Massive bitching at minor (or non-existent) issues. I asked what was so bad and the answers were: Crowded bar area, lousy music during time outs, a noisy bathroom and not liking the color of the paint. Talk about first-world problems.

When you are fighting for every last body in the seats versus other entertainment options and television.

Guess what - you need to solve first world problems.

Not everyone just accepts sub-par experiences, even if you do.

Reaction Score
When the on-court product is substandard [mid-major conference, lack of buzz-worthy games, etc] then everything surrounding the event needs to be first-class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom