Am I being scammed for tickets? | The Boneyard

Am I being scammed for tickets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I figured I would go to fellow BYers for help. I am in contact with a guy that is telling me he has 2 $350 dollar tickets for Friday nights game in section 10 which are very good seats. I am not getting them through a ticket agency. Is this too good to be true? He says they are TicketMaster tickets and he has the TickerMaster receipt with him. Does anyone know how to match the receipt with the tickets to prove they are real? Does anyone have any ideas for a way that I can validate that these tickets are real? I just want to make sure I'm not getting jipped here...this seems way too good of a price to be true. Guy says he can't make it to the game. Any help is appreciated.

Reaction Score
. . . this seems way too good of a price to be true.
It always amazes me when people have the information they need to make a rational decision, which in this case is "no," but allow their emotional desires to overwhelm and murder their logic.

Ok. 3 obvious possibilities -

1. Guy doesn't know what he has. UNLIKELY. If he was enough of a fan to buy the tickets directly, he knows that they're hot.
2. Guy knows what he has but wants to unload them quickly for cheap. UNLIKELY. It's a hot ticket and would be easy to sell for close to FMV.
3. Guy is scamming you.

Reaction Score
Probably not. Some people sell their tickets at face value believe it or not and don't try to make a boatload. $350 seems about right for those. How about you meet up with the guy and get the tickets from him in person to verify the tickets and receipt.

Reaction Score
Probably not. Some people sell their tickets at face value believe it or not and don't try to make a boatload. $350 seems about right for those. How about you meet up with the guy and get the tickets from him in person to verify the tickets and receipt.

You can't verify the tickets just by looking at them. Lots of people have reported having tickets that looked real but when they got to the person scanning the barcodes.... disaster

Reaction Score
There's no way to verify. There's stuff online all about fake tickets AND receipts. Unless you are a ticketmaster expert you really have no way to know. Ticketmaster won't help, either. I wouldn't do it, man. 700 bucks is a lot of scratch.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
They could be that cheap if there right behind the pep bands.

If you ever notice at the civic center nobody sits at least 5-10 rows behind them.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
If it sounds to good, then it probably is. Does he have good reasons for selling them? Why did he buy? Is he a fan?

I got my tickets yesterday from stubhub and they were not "ticketmaster" tix. They were NCAA tickets with a Logo.

I was scammed a year ago with ticketmaster tickets and a ticketmaster email receipt. So I would say probably fake.

Reaction Score
For the big east tickets you could easily tell whether tickets were fakes or not when you bought on the streets:

1. Perforated lines
2. Back of tickets reveAled the big East logo when scratched with a coin

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
absolutely yes, it's a scam

if the price is far too low, scam
if it's a lower level and too good to be true, scam
if the seller is eager to provide proof of purchase, scam

if they insist on Western Union, scam

if the ticket has perfectly smooth edges, scam (they should be perforated)

I read a warning that said legit tickets were purchased with a stolen credit card and have been voided out, those tickets are located in Sections 116-118

if you buy the tickets around MSG and they want to meet two blocks away, scam (they don't want you to be able to quickly find them). They should be willing to meet you at or near MSG,

even if you meet near MSG, be more careful if the doors are not yet open, there's little risk you'll learn they're fake before they complete their scams

I bought fake tickets when we were playing St John's in the Ray Allen era, bought them near the Garden but before the doors open. Never happened to me again

I've seen all of the above scams in action too.

when we won the BET in 2011, somebody who was selling fake tickets (smooth edges), insisted we meet 4 blocks from MSG. I told the kid he was a #%$@!#$ a and through the tickets in the garbage

Reaction Score
At a minimum, I would want to see his ID and verify the name on the receipt is the same as the ID and the credit card. Lots of bogus tickets out there.

Reaction Score
At a minimum, I would want to see his ID and verify the name on the receipt is the same as the ID and the credit card. Lots of bogus tickets out there.
Good points above. If the guy has legit tickets he will not be apprehensive about disclosing some personal information that can be verified. His phone #, name and address should be disclosed right now BEFORE a transaction like this. I would verify this info before purchase using ZabaSearch. If it checks out the odds are you are dealing with a legit seller. Otherwise it is a SCAM.

JMHO...

caw

Reaction Score
Pay with paypal or something that will allow you to cancel the payment if fakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom