Always A Zone When Natalie Plays? | The Boneyard

Always A Zone When Natalie Plays?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I have noticed that UConn nearly always seems to go to a zone defense when Natalie is in the lineup. That makes sense, since it allows Natalie to stay under the basket and not have to roam the court to guard a specific opposing player. But I also wonder if it isn't a device to "hide" (i.e., limit the consequences of) her lack of mobility. I recall that the same thing was done several years ago when Kaili MacLaren played.

Maybe it will only happen when the opposing team has a lot of small, fast players. I wonder if it will be the case when an opponent like South Carolina uses another player in the same mold as Natalie, i.e., Alaina Coates. But against Kentucky, Coates showed more mobility than I expected, and more than I have seen from Natalie thus far.

It will be interesting to see if Natalie gets minutes outside of garbage time against the Gamecocks, and if she is trusted to guard Coates one-on-one. If she is, and proves that she can do it with some level of effectiveness (and avoid fouls), that will almost certainly produce a double-digit UConn victory. But I am inclined to think that realistically, Natalie won't see the floor much against South Carolina. On the other hand, if she plays because Stewart / Tuck / KLS / Collier are all in foul trouble, that would be a very negative sign (like Heather Buck defending Griner).

Reaction Score
I have noticed that UConn nearly always seems to go to a zone defense when Natalie is in the lineup. That makes sense, since it allows Natalie to stay under the basket and not have to roam the court to guard a specific opposing player. But I also wonder if it isn't a device to "hide" (i.e., limit the consequences of) her lack of mobility. I recall that the same thing was done several years ago when Kaili MacLaren played.

Maybe it will only happen when the opposing team has a lot of small, fast players. I wonder if it will be the case when an opponent like South Carolina uses another player in the same mold as Natalie, i.e., Alaina Coates. But against Kentucky, Coates showed more mobility than I expected, and more than I have seen from Natalie thus far.

It will be interesting to see if Natalie gets minutes outside of garbage time against the Gamecocks, and if she is trusted to guard Coates one-on-one. If she is, and proves that she can do it with some level of effectiveness (and avoid fouls), that will almost certainly produce a double-digit UConn victory. But I am inclined to think that realistically, Natalie won't see the floor much against South Carolina. On the other hand, if she plays because Stewart / Tuck / KLS / Collier are all in foul trouble, that would be a very negative sign (like Heather Buck defending Griner).
You myst have forgotten how well Heather played BG.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

Ugh. Why'd you have to bring up that Buck vs Griner night? Ugh.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

It has mostly been zone, but then Uconn has not played many games against traditional centers, and I can't think of one since Natalie made it back to the line-up. This was also true for most of Kiah's minutes last year as she too was much better near the basket than outside. SC with Coates and Wilson both being mostly low post players may alter that equations - haven't watched a lot of the SC games this year, but they seem to run very traditional low post offense almost exclusively and it may be the first game where Natalie would look comfortable in a man defense.

Reaction Score
Stokes understands what Butler hasn't learned yet. When you have the size advantage on the opposition, you keep them at arms length. That's why she can't play effective man to man defense yet. Probably 90% of shot blocking fouls are caused by the body contact, not the actual block. That's why coaches teach the bigs not to fall away on their shots but to go straight up into the defender. Most times the contact will be called on the defense. If asked to play Coates man to man, Butler will be gone very quickly. IMO, her best usage would be in a match up zone with double help from Stewart and Tuck. And that would be in short spurts. I think UConn's best bet would be to make SC's bigs run the floor until they can't. Which of course means minimal floor time for Butler.

Reaction Score

Heather defended Griner pretty darn well iirc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom