all the other north east football teams are a mess | The Boneyard

all the other north east football teams are a mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
it's hard to believe that Cuse's situation is arguably the least clusterf'ed out of our local rivals. Rutgers just made the worst coaching hire since the Jets took Rich Kotite, BC is continuing to sputter under a coach that just isn't good enough to be even mediocre in the ACC, and PennState obviously goes without saying.
i really can't imagine a scenerio where we'll have more opportunity than right now to take the program up a notch. i think our coaching situation with P leaves us with the stability and experience necessary to really crank this thing into high gear.

Reaction Score
Rutgers just made the worst coaching hire since the Jets took Rich Kotite BC took the interim tag off of Spaz. Which was the worst coaching hire since the Jets took Rich Kotite

There, that's better

Reaction Score
Agree with the original post. P has become the most recognizable coach of the bunch. He has to win soon to capitalize and catapult UConn to the forefront in northeast recruiting.

Clock is ticking.

Reaction Score
Agree with the original post. P has become the most recognizable coach of the bunch. He has to win soon to capitalize and catapult UConn to the forefront in northeast recruiting.

Clock is ticking.

PP is what . . . 63 years of age. Talk about belaboring the obvious - "the clock is ticking". How long before negative recruiting starts (i.e., "he won't be around by the time you are a soph, or a junior or a senior).

Reaction Score
Eh, that is not old for coaching. The man is in great shape and he could easily sell his age by saying it is definitely his last job. For some odd reason you strike me as a glass half empty guy when it comes to UConn no matter the scenario. Newsflash, Nick Saban ain't coming to UConn and our recruiting classes are not going to be stacked with five star players.

Like Al Davis would say, just win baby.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately our QB situation has held us back. Dont see things drastically changing until 2013 when the young QBs finally have some experience under their belts.

Reaction Score
PP is what . . . 63 years of age. Talk about belaboring the obvious - "the clock is ticking". How long before negative recruiting starts (i.e., "he won't be around by the time you are a soph, or a junior or a senior).

people said that about JoePa since 1990. besides, how is a young coach any more likely to be around in 5 years?

i'm optmistic about our passing game this year. despite having arguably our worst situation at QB in since DanO, DeLeone was able to accomplish one of our more prolific passing seasons. between everyone having another season, and adding Whitmer and Cochran, i think we're much better off at the position than last year. assuming we can keep a QB healthy all season, i'm going on record as predicting a 3000 yard passing season.

Reaction Score
If we can win the league next year this program will take off. P will not be leaving for a better job and he will start to close on some of the top recruits in the area.

Can we win the league next year? I expect we will see a drop in our play at center, defensive tackle, and field goal kicker, I expect to see improvement at every other position especially QB, and I expect our coaching staff to be improved because now they are no longer strangers to this team and the players know the system. I think its possible we can win this league. Ya gotta believe!

Reaction Score
Unfortunately our QB situation has held us back. Dont see things drastically changing until 2013 when the young QBs finally have some experience under their belts.
Um, not too sure about you, but I suspect that while nobody will say it outright, Chandler witmer wasn't brought in to play back up to Johnny Mac. The kid threw for over 3000 yards last year with 25 touchdowns against only 14 interceptions. I think the position just upgraded signifcantly for next season.

Reaction Score
Eh, that is not old for coaching. The man is in great shape and he could easily sell his age by saying it is definitely his last job. For some odd reason you strike me as a glass half empty guy when it comes to UConn no matter the scenario. Newsflash, Nick Saban ain't coming to UConn and our recruiting classes are not going to be stacked with five star players.

Like Al Davis would say, just win baby.

No, Saban ain't. But the program could use a big dose of energy - stepped up recruiting (PP may be getting that done), an exciting brand of football (ahh, that didn't happen last year) and the prospects of better things to come (better home OOC games, stadium expansion, better bowls when they don't win the BE's BCS slot, more prime time TV exposure). Trouble with an older coach is that he's gonna be nearing 70 before this is in place.

For a program like UConn, having a rising star is probably the fastest and surest way to get to be a top program.

Reaction Score
[quote="For a program like UConn, having a rising star is probably the fastest and surest way to get to be a top program.[/quote]

And the fastest way for the coach to bolt for greener pastures.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
[quote="For a program like UConn, having a rising star is probably the fastest and surest way to get to be a top program.

And the fastest way for the coach to bolt for greener pastures.[/quote]
+1 Too early to be so critical of PP

Reaction Score
I don't know that you can be too critical of Pasquoloni so far. I was just thinking how he seems to be upgrading the recruiting this year...remember, last year was all about holding on to guys Edsall recruited. We are going up against other programs and actually winning a few battles. He had nothing for quarterbacks last year and an unproven running back and managed to get at least something out of it. We have 2 experienced recievers coming in as transfers. We have a quarterback who threw for 3000 plus yeards as a JUCO so he should be able to get them the football. They are working to put in place an exciting brand of offense. they simply lacked the bodies to get it done last year. The bowls are certainly out of the control of the coach. The out of conference schedule is improved this year, but just like every single other 1A program, will have at least 1 FCS and one MAC level game. If I told you in 2010 that Maryland, coming off a 9-3 season with the ACC offensive player of the year was coming, you'd probably think that was a pretty good game to get. Alas, after last season it isn't quite so attractive. Michigan comes in 2013, Tennessee in 2015. NC State next year. And a series with Virginia in the future. And with our location, games with the ACC are our "natural" rivalies. I'd prefer we try and get a couple of Big 10 games in the future, maybe a series here and there with another SEC team or another B-12 series, but the ACC is easily reachable and matches up pretty well, so there it is. The other issue you need to face up to in scheduling, touchdownhusky, is that the teams you want us to play have no interest in playing road games. If they can arrange it, they only want to play conference road games. It has nothing to do with UCONN or Rentschler Field. They just don't want to play on the road. Over the next 4 years, for example, Ohio State is playing 2 nonconference road games. Next season, alabama is playing one non-conference game away from home and it isn't a true road game. It is a neutral site game against Michigan. LSU has none this year, none next year. So scheduling the "bigger names" tha twe would all love ot come to the Rent is a huge problem. We are the only team not named Notre Dame that Michigan has scheduled for a true road game through 2016. Now they have some openings, but if you listend to their AD, they ain't looking to add trips anywhere in filling those slots. Bottom lin eis that as far as non-conference scheduling, you really are going to have to be happy with the ACC and Iowa State type teams from other leagues, and hope to get lucky from time to time like we did with Michigan and Tennessee and Notre Dame.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
i'm optmistic about our passing game this year. despite having arguably our worst situation at QB in since DanO, DeLeone was able to accomplish one of our more prolific passing seasons. between everyone having another season, and adding Whitmer and Cochran, i think we're much better off at the position than last year. assuming we can keep a QB healthy all season, i'm going on record as predicting a 3000 yard passing season.

I know people like to harp on the QB position, but 2010 and 2008 were both worse years statistically at QB... I'm not saying that our QB was an asset, but it's not the only reason we didn't go bowling... I think the DBs out side of Blidi were a bigger issue. I think the coaching staff have done all they can do to upgrade the QB position... I'm optimistic.

Reaction Score
For a program like UConn, having a rising star is probably the fastest and surest way to get to be a top program.

did you really just say the surest way for us to progress is to hire a "rising star"? "rising star" by it's definition is not a sure thing. do you really think taking a rising star like Steve Kragthorpe worked for UofL, or taking rising star RRod worked out for Michigan? taking someone like that only guarentees that they won't be here long if they are successful

Reaction Score
Um, not too sure about you, but I suspect that while nobody will say it outright, Chandler witmer wasn't brought in to play back up to Johnny Mac. The kid threw for over 3000 yards last year with 25 touchdowns against only 14 interceptions. I think the position just upgraded signifcantly for next season.

Yeah I think he gets a real good look in whatever competition there is. I do see Nebrich and McEntee clicking at his heels though. Should be an upgrade at starter and depth no matter how it sorts out. If the RB situation adds some depth and the line and RB's get their blocking assignments straightened out we'll actually have some balance and consistency. Oh, I forgot about the dropped passes....hmmm. That kinda messes things up.

And I really don't care about what a mess we think the other teams are in. We need to make some recruits think we're the best place to go and win some of those battles. Let's have a surprise or 2 tomorrow and get that straightened out. It's not terrible but it needs to be better.

Reaction Score
did you really just say the surest way for us to progress is to hire a "rising star"? "rising star" by it's definition is not a sure thing. do you really think taking a rising star like Steve Kragthorpe worked for UofL, or taking rising star RRod worked out for Michigan? taking someone like that only guarentees that they won't be here long if they are successful

Exactly, Pitt hired a rising star last year too. Did Maryland hire a rising star?

All we did was hire the winningest coach in Big East history whose former school had an epic collapse after they fired him.

Reaction Score
Exactly, Pitt hired a rising star last year too. Did Maryland hire a rising star?

All we did was hire the winningest coach in Big East history whose former school had an epic collapse after they fired him.
And a guy who had only 3 losing seasons in 20 years as a head coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom