Alabama Scouting Report | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Alabama Scouting Report

Reaction Score
I think they will jack between 40-50 threes. I think they need to hit at least 19. Oats is going to turn them loose and hope he catches a heater. They are solid at attacking the rim too, but I think he knows that attacking Clingan is worse via metrics than jacking yet another contested 27 foot 3. They are going to let them fly early and often.
I completely agree.

The good news is that Alabama has already had a game against a top 5 opponent where they shot 19-46 from 3...and still lost (to Purdue, 92-86). Of course, Purdue also shot it well that game.

Reaction Score
I completely agree.

The good news is that Alabama has already had a game against a top 5 opponent where they shot 19-46 from 3...and still lost (to Purdue, 92-86). Of course, Purdue also shot it well that game.
And that is my biggest bugaboo or criticism of this UConn team so far in the NCAAT. Don't get me wrong, I loved and enjoyed how they have eviscerated the competition and I hope that continues for hopefully the next 2 games. However, their 3 pt shooting has not risen from the ashes. They have been missing some wide open 3s, too. Their last good 3 pt shooting game was at MSG vs St. John's. Here's to hoping that changes Saturday.

Reaction Score
If you're subscribed to StorrsCentral premium, there's a matchup preview with film clip gifs that is good content, IMO.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Saw on twitter that it sounds like Wrightsell will play. Thats a big boost for them.

Reaction Score
Saw on twitter that it sounds like Wrightsell will play. Thats a big boost for them.
I think the shocker would be if he didn't play. It was always more likely he was going to play.

Reaction Score
If Latrell Wrightsell plays, Alabama could go small and 5 out to draw Clingan away.

I assume he's playing, he said during media availability today that he feels 100%.

Reaction Score
I think they will jack between 40-50 threes. I think they need to hit at least 19. Oats is going to turn them loose and hope he catches a heater. They are solid at attacking the rim too, but I think he knows that attacking Clingan is worse via metrics than jacking yet another contested 27 foot 3. They are going to let them fly early and often.

Wouldn't surprise me. That's what they did against some other top teams like Purdue and Arizona. Though on the flip side, against UNC they only attempted 26. I assume we'll do our best to run them off the 3-point line to at least make the shots from Sears, Griffen and Wrightsell are always contested (though we know they're comfortable attempting shots from well behind the line, so easier said than done).

Reaction Score
So they are 23rd in offensive rebounding rate and 272nd in defensive rebounding rate. Pretty strange stats. They crush the offensive boards which is how they shoot so many 3s. On kick outs or long rebounds. But they ignore the defensive boards which means we will get lots of 2nd chance points. Key to the game may be to keep them off the offensive boards

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Wouldn't surprise me. That's what they did against some other top teams like Purdue and Arizona. Though on the flip side, against UNC they only attempted 26. I assume we'll do our best to run them off the 3-point line to at least make the shots from Sears, Griffen and Wrightsell are always contested (though we know they're comfortable attempting shots from well behind the line, so easier said than done).
Bacot isn’t a good rim protector. Decent rebounder, but Alabama could attack him.

Reaction Score
So they are 23rd in offensive rebounding rate and 272nd in defensive rebounding rate. Pretty strange stats. They crush the offensive boards which is how they shoot so many 3s. On kick outs or long rebounds. But they ignore the defensive boards which means we will get lots of 2nd chance points. Key to the game may be to keep them off the offensive boards
I can't explain the defensive rebounding, or lack of, but their offensive rebounding is so good in a similar way Illinois' offensive rebounding was good. Since they spread the defense out with 5 shooters and a lot of times it leaves the defense scrambling if they help out on penetration running further distances to contest the 3 pt shots. When this occurs the 3s create long and high speed caroms where and since the defense is already scrambling and out of position the Alabama players are not boxed out and they can do a short sprint to get these rebounds.

Reaction Score
Depth perception on deep 3’s in big arenas is tough. Will take the layups and dunks and let them shoot long contested 3’s

Reaction Score
I finished watching the North Carolina-Alabama game in the Sweet 16. I was at TD BankNorth Garden watching Iowa St-Illinois live while the North Carolina-Alabama game.

Some tidbits and observations:
-don't be surprised if Alabama parks Grant Nelson in the paint while guarding Stephon Castle. Nelson did this while guarding Eliot Cadeau or Seth Trimble. UConn can counter this by having Castle perform dribble handoffs to Newton, Spencer, or Karaban within their usual intricate offensive sets or some pick and rolls involving the same players. I am not opposed to Castle shooting a wide open 3, but he should do it when he feels comfortable not because he feels compelled to. Also, putting Castle in the dunker's spot, a la Jackson last year, Castle will be able to get some easy shots at the rim to convert for layups or dunks.

-Mark Sears and Aaron Estrada are very good left handed good guards .... offensively. They will, along with the others on that team, will bomb away from 3 and Sears can hit them far behind the 3 point line. They are good at driving to the basket as well, but they are left handed and very rarely finish layups or dunks going right. In fact, when they both go right, they are doing so with the purpose to spin dribble and go back to this left and finish with the left hand. Or when they go right they will step back and shoot even near the hoop for a 5-7 foot shot.
I think UConn will have their hands full defending against them, but are well equipped as well. They have experience playing against left handers such as Kolek, Kam Jones, and Baylor Schieirman. It was clear North Carolina in the first 10 minutes of game time were not used to defending against left handers as they allowed Sears and Estrada to go to their left. They adjusted late in the first half. Defensively, these Alabama guard are not all that good and they are short. As long as UConn solves the dorking defense Alabama will do, they should be able to score.

-Alabama uses a lot of pick and roll to free up Sears and Estrada. If Clingan's man sets the picks, Clingan can still play his drop coverage, but he shouldn't drop too far where Alabama shooters can shoot immediately dribbling off the pick. Alabama will run this for Rylen Griffen and I am sure they will do this for Latrell Wrightsell who missed the last 2 games.

Hopefully, UConn's 3 shooting is on. They have been missing too many open 3s. That has to change as we all know. I know I am Captain Obvious on this last point.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom