A'ja Wilson to Visit So. Carolina | Page 4 | The Boneyard

A'ja Wilson to Visit So. Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Eric and others - I know A'ja has the height, but I really wouldn't call her a post based on the USA film I saw, and not even a traditional PF. (I would say the same about Breanna as well.) And while people do not call Graves a post, she proved with USA BB that she can play and defend that position very well even without the height. So whether or not we get A'ja I do not think it really helps the 'post' position or the need to find someone in 2015. On the current roster and even including A'ja the best 'post' player we have beyond 2015 is probably Morgan.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Eric and others - I know A'ja has the height, but I really wouldn't call her a post based on the USA film I saw, and not even a traditional PF. (I would say the same about Breanna as well.) And while people do not call Graves a post, she proved with USA BB that she can play and defend that position very well even without the height. So whether or not we get A'ja I do not think it really helps the 'post' position or the need to find someone in 2015. On the current roster and even including A'ja the best 'post' player we have beyond 2015 is probably Morgan.

I thought she defended well. She led the team in blocks and rebounds. She will be a 3/4 in college. A great fit for UConn if she decides to go there.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I thought she defended well. She led the team in blocks and rebounds. She will be a 3/4 in college. A great fit for UConn if she decides to go there.
Agree completely - just not a traditional post or 'power forward'.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Agree completely - just not a traditional post or 'power forward'.

From what I saw, I disagree as far as her ability to defend in the post. I think that given her age at the time (16) and development she looked very capable defending players on the lane. Not fronting as undersized players will do, but defending from behind. She has very good length and she is plenty strong to defend the post at the next level by the time she arrives at D1. So I would say she could very easily defend traditional posts in the paint. IMHO.

Having said that, it seems clear she wants to play an all-court game so she could be defending forwards and even wings as well. I think she's agile enough for that, too, except for the elite/fastest wings.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
She's going to be special. I think we miss out on her. Which I believe is why Geno and co. are already looking at post players from 2015.

Reaction Score
She's going to be special. I think we miss out on her. Which I believe is why Geno and co. are already looking at post players from 2015.

Well even if we do land her... Kiah Stokes would be a senior her freshman season. That would leave Stewie and Tuck along with Wilson. I think Geno HAS to look for post players in 2015....

I could be wrong but I think for there to be a good team we need at least four or five strong post players. At least three or four excellent guards... of which at least three of them should be shooting guards...

Last year: Heather, Stef, Kiah, Morgan, Stewie for post players
Guards: Bria, Brianna, Moriah, Caroline....

Then add in the people who can do anything... like KML, Faris, Stewie could be here as well....

Reaction Score

Also Recall the TASSK class. Ashja, Tamika, and Swin all at 6'2". Coming in when we had Kelly Schumacher at 6'5" (I believe)... Stacey Hansmeyer (6'1"???, Paige Sauer (6'4"?).... And then we had BIG RIGS at 6'6".

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Geno also really likes a 'post' player, someone who spends the majority of their offensive time fighting for position in the low block, with pop outs to the free throw line extended for the occasional J and to pass into a rotating forward. Defensively he wants someone with enough bulk and strength to disrupt and push opposing post off their spots. Neither Breanna nor at this point (she is young) A'ja are that body type so the search will continue regardless of A'ja's choice.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Yeah, I agree with Uc. I hope we land her, but the beat goes on....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom