A'ja to Announce College Decision on April 16th (merged) | Page 10 | The Boneyard

A'ja to Announce College Decision on April 16th (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
EAST: I , for one, would be mighty reluctant to be putting my tongue in ROCKY's cheek. Mighty reluctant

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'm sure he showers on Fridays.

Right after my weekly teeth sharpening East - we do need a tongue in cheek emoticon, though we do have some close seconds available.

Last edited:

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
All this compared to the UConn kid who signed her LOI on the hood of her dad's car.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Why? Is there evidence of this or are you just making assumptions, or have a 'gut' feeling?

I haven't been following this saga, so have no opinion. However, UConn would seem to be the logical place for her -- assuming the former still is interested -- based on the few comments I've seen from her about what her criteria are. There may be factors she has not mentioned, or perhaps certain factors that carry more weight for her, so ...
Not evidence, or even scoop of any kind. Milford and I were talking about it tonight - I think she lives about 15 miles from the SC campus. Her family could literally drive to every home game. She has said she doesn't want to play center and UCONN hasn't landed one in 3 years now. Believe me - I know all the reasons why we think UCONN is the best choice for her, but ultimately I think she wants the chance to try to take SC to a final 4 and a NC. BUT maybe the NCAA performances have opened her eyes. If UCONN wins #9, perhaps that's enough to sway her our way.

Reaction Score
No surprise! It would be a given that she is SC bound. I mean she is going home after the game isn't she. And she does live in SC. lol

Reaction Score
IMO, if her decision is on TV, she's not coming to UConn. Good for her that she has achieved that level of interest already from ESPN, but it seems a little over the top for a high school senior. And I don't think that Geno would be too keen on being part of the tv hoopla.
Just yesterday he "casually" mentioned that Stewie signed her LOI on the hood of her car and then went to school. Also that she doesn't need handlers, all she wants to do is play basketball. I think Geno knows which way the wind is blowing and he is okay with it.
As I said, JMO.

I totally agree and I also think she has already given her verbal to South Carolina as well as told all the other coaches involved her intentions. IMHO she is just waiting for her Grandfather's birthday to announce it to everyone else.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I totally agree and I also think she has already given her verbal to South Carolina as well as told all the other coaches involved her intentions. IMHO she is just waiting for her Grandfather's birthday to announce it to everyone else.

Do you think she asked the other coaches to please keep it a big secret so she can have her big announcement? That's just silly. She's likely already made up her mind but I can guarantee that she hasn't told the other coaches. There's no point to doing that unless she wants her decision leaked out before she announces it.

Reaction Score
I read somewhere that she was going to declare her choice on ESPNU. Did anyone else hear that?

Reaction Score
Do you think she asked the other coaches to please keep it a big secret so she can have her big announcement? That's just silly. She's likely already made up her mind but I can guarantee that she hasn't told the other coaches. There's no point to doing that unless she wants her decision leaked out before she announces it.

First off coaches can not comment on recruits until they sign and secondly it happens quite a bit{not on such a big level} but it happens. The fact that you think it doesn't is "just silly"'

Reaction Score
Coaches cannot comment on recruits until they sign a LOI. Not altogether unlikely that she has told the other coaches of her decision. Geno's casual comment about Stewie's signing speaks volumes to me. He is a master communicator, whether direct or casually indirect. The fact that her announcement will be made on tv and he references this as a casual comment...it may not be a coincidence.

We don't get them all. Yet, Geno consistently gets the most out of the players he does get, in many cases more than the recruit even thought was possible. But the kid has to be willing to put up with some uncomfortable times of harsh and brutal honesty from the coaches and be willing to do things outside their comfort level. If a kid wants to have more say over what position they play how much time they play, etc. with the coaching staff, they will not be happy at UConn.

Good luck to A'ja where ever she goes. But, my gut tells me it will not be UConn. And I am ready to move on.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
First off coaches can not comment on recruits until they sign and secondly it happens quite a bit{not on such a big level} but it happens. The fact that you think it doesn't is "just silly"'

I never said anything about coaches "commenting," which I assume you mean to the media. Of course they can't and they wouldn't. Coaches tell assistant coaches who mention it to players who tell others and AAU people hear it and next thing you know it's out there on message boards and A'ja's big announcement is a little less big. She hasn't told the other coaches yet because there is absolutely no reason for her to do so. That's not to say a coach like Geno doesn't know which way the wind is blowing on this one; I think he's known for a while.

I don't know what you're suggesting happens quite a bit, but I do know it doesn't happen with big-time recruits who have planned big-time announcements. She'll call all 4 coaches on the day of her announcement.

Last edited:

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score

I agree with Cat. If she had told the other coaches, they would have told their staffs and someone would have leaked it to the press. In any event, I don't get all the predicting on this board that she will go to South Carolina. We can consult the Oracle of Delphi, or we can read tea leaves, or we can study Tarot cards, but all of that is pure bunk. UConn is still in the picture unless and until she says otherwise. I await her announcement and wish her well whatever choice she makes.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
I agree with Cat. If she had told the other coaches, they would have told their staffs and someone would have leaked it to the press. In any event, I don't get all the predicting on this board that she will go to South Carolina. We can consult the Oracle of Delphi, or we can read tea leaves, or we can study Tarot cards, but all of that is pure bunk. UConn is still in the picture unless and until she says otherwise. I await her announcement and wish her well whatever choice she makes.

I now very much doubt if A'ja is coming to UConn because I can't remember any other top recruit UConn got that committed via a national live presser. Such an individualized event seems to go against UConn's mantra of putting the team ahead of the individual - no names on uni's, earn playing time, team win over individual stats, etc.

That's not to say that Ms. Wilson isn't a perfectly lovely person who'll do fine elsewhere. But how she's announcing doesn't seem to fit w/UConn. Hope I'm wrong.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I haven't waded through the A'ja threads so I don't know if this is a repeat.
Carl reports in Friday's JI that her decision will be televised on ESPNU.
No mention of time...perhaps right after the school day?

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
I now very much doubt if A'ja is coming to UConn because I can't remember any other top recruit UConn got that committed via a national live presser. Such an individualized event seems to go against UConn's mantra of putting the team ahead of the individual - no names on uni's, earn playing time, team win over individual stats, etc.

That's not to say that Ms. Wilson isn't a perfectly lovely person who'll do fine elsewhere. But how she's announcing doesn't seem to fit w/UConn. Hope I'm wrong.

Perhaps ESPN is the instigator of all that? Just another thing to hype and maybe get a few more viewers. Maybe a high school senior would just go along without a second thought? Being susceptible to flattery isn't a huge crime.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Perhaps ESPN is the instigator of all that? Just another thing to hype and maybe get a few more viewers. Maybe a high school senior would just go along without a second thought? Being susceptible to flattery isn't a huge crime.
I expect that may be true.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I haven't waded through the A'ja threads so I don't know if this is a repeat.
Carl reports in Friday's JI that her decision will be televised on ESPNU.
No mention of time...perhaps right after the school day?
That is Wednesday a week from now on 4/16. Correct?

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score

Entirely possible. And it wouldn't be a 'crime' at all.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
this is what the starting 5 looked like in the next 2 games when they handily beat Maryland and Penn State in road games.
recruit rank as per ESPN
Hartley #14
Jefferson #2
Dolson #39
Stokes #42
Stewart #1

Certainly they had a talented team but not overwhelmingly so…

Not overwhelming?
4 All-Stars and a shot-blocking, rebounding machine
Ridiculous guard play and monster height inside.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Coaches cannot comment on recruits until they sign a LOI. Not altogether unlikely that she has told the other coaches of her decision. Geno's casual comment about Stewie's signing speaks volumes to me. He is a master communicator, whether direct or casually indirect. The fact that her announcement will be made on tv and he references this as a casual comment...it may not be a coincidence.

I had the same thought and agree with you 100%

JS

Reaction Score
She's likely already made up her mind but I can guarantee that she hasn't told the other coaches. There's no point to doing that unless she wants her decision leaked out before she announces it.
Case in point on this likelihood:

EDD's decision for UConn was leaked by the Tennessee staff and made it onto the Summitt even though EDD had promised the scoop to Hoopgurlz.

Reaction Score
Lets get real, She Told Nowbody, or the Press would have it all over the place.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom