Aim for excellence! | The Boneyard

Aim for excellence!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pj

Reaction Score
I am a college sports fan, not a pro sports fan, because I like seeing kids and teams develop. I like watching players improve week to week. I like watching teams improve. I like to see them developing their own style of play, figuring out how each player fits into that style, getting better at executing it. I like seeing the players make fewer mistakes than they did the week before. I like seeing the coaches put together a strategy that gives the players the opportunity to reach the highest heights their abilities permit, and seeing the players give their utmost to try to reach those heights.

The one thing I do not want to watch is a team that doesn't try to execute its strengths or develop its talents, that doesn't aim high, that doesn't have a strategy or a style. And on the offensive side of the ball, that's what I'm being compelled to watch. It's no fun to watch and I doubt it's fun to play. And it doesn't develop the team, so it drains us of hope for the next week.

GDL, work at consistently developing an aggressive, attacking offense and give your players a chance to fail at it. When they do, coach them how to not repeat that failure in the future. Don't ask them to execute a strategy that, even if they execute it to perfection, would generate at most 13 points a game. Ask them to execute a strategy that will generate 40 points if they play well, and see how they can do. They may still only get to 3 or 13 points, but there will be many teachable moments out of it and we'll all be excited to see if they can do better the next week. It would be a lot more fun for everyone.

Reaction Score
GDL would rather sit on a lead against Buffalo than take a chance.

pj

Reaction Score
Yes ... his comments after the Buffalo game really soured me on him. That attitude proved he doesn't belong as a FBS offensive coordinator. It was totally incompatible with the spirit of college football, which is DEVELOPMENT of players and teams. You don't sacrifice development for an extra 1% chance of victory over Buffalo. If you're worried about beating Buffalo, your mindset is "I need to make sure I go 4-8 rather than 3-9." It's not, "I need to use every play to help my players grow their ability to execute plays so that we maximize our chance of beating top teams later, and reaching and winning a BCS bowl game."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro
Top Bottom