After reading several Big XII boards | The Boneyard

After reading several Big XII boards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've come to the conclusion they really don't understand what Conference Realignment is really about.

The thought that they consistently throw out is that a certain team doesn't have enough viewers not that have a lot of cable boxes. They posted that RU and MD just don't have enough viewers to be in the B1G, they are so bad.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
They fail to understand that it's about cable providers forcing their customers to pay for the BTN or SECN, whether or not anybody in those particular cable TV households ever watch a minute of programming on those channels. Rutgers may be on the BTN in 9 million cable TV households and only a million of those might ever watch a Rutgers game. It doesn't matter since the Big 10 is still getting paid for the 9 million cable receivers.

Reaction Score
For the most part, I think the bulk of this board understands the issues as well as anyone, but if you wander over to, say, the woman's board they are as clueless as anyone.
You mean the woman won't be heading the way of ODU and La Tech if we don't make it to a P5 conference

Reaction Score
Some fans of those B12 programs outside Texas, OU, and Kansas simply don't have a clue about realignment. They are sitting in a P5 right now just because they were grandfathered in. However, that will change in an instant when CR trains come around the corner. There is a reason why B1G is ending their new media contract around the same time as ACC and B12 media GOR expiration date. B1G is thinking long term and that is to grab even more valuable schools that can help the B1G network. Schools like KSU, ISU, TCU, WVU, OSU, Texas Tech, and Baylor need to be seriously worried. Without a network, they are doomed. WVU should know exactly what UCONN is going through now. They were there in the final days of the BE.

If B12 does not expand or get a network, they f..ked. There is no other way to put it. This has nothing to do with UCONN one way or another. All those schools outside OU, Texas, and Kansas will probably be in the same boat as UCONN when the current GOR expires.

Reaction Score
For the most part, I think the bulk of this board understands the issues as well as anyone, but if you wander over to, say, the woman's board they are as clueless as anyone.

I post on all the Boneyard sports, I think that people who have no,or not much,interest in football, don't quite understand quite what is going on with CR.

Reaction Score
They fail to understand that it's about cable providers forcing their customers to pay for the BTN or SECN, whether or not anybody in those particular cable TV households ever watch a minute of programming on those channels. Rutgers may be on the BTN in 9 million cable TV households and only a million of those might ever watch a Rutgers game. It doesn't matter since the Big 10 is still getting paid for the 9 million cable receivers.

And Lordy, how I hate this.

I have 250 channels of mush that I don't want to get 10 channels that I do...30 channels that hawk stuff, 10 religious channels, God knows how many cartoon and kids channels, food channels, CSpan, and on and on...

Reaction Score
Some fans of those B12 programs outside Texas, OU, and Kansas simply don't have a clue about realignment. They are sitting in a P5 right now just because they were grandfathered in. However, that will change in an instant when CR trains come around the corner. There is a reason why B1G is ending their new media contract around the same time as ACC and B12 media GOR expiration date. B1G is thinking long term and that is to grab even more valuable schools that can help the B1G network. Schools like KSU, ISU, TCU, WVU, OSU, Texas Tech, and Baylor need to be seriously worried. Without a network, they are doomed. WVU should know exactly what UCONN is going through now. They were there in the final days of the BE.

If B12 does not expand or get a network, they f..ked. There is no other way to put it. This has nothing to do with UCONN one way or another. All those schools outside OU, Texas, and Kansas will probably be in the same boat as UCONN when the current GOR expires.

I cannot understand why Kansas is safe. Small population and football is not so good. Plus, no hockey

Reaction Score
Force is never a long term strategy.

Reaction Score
They're in the club already. They don't need to understand the complex requirements for getting into the club.

Hopefully the people making the decisions do.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I cannot understand why Kansas is safe. Small population and football is not so good. Plus, no hockey

People over value schools like Kansas. I said it in another thread... even Duke is a bad hire post Coach K away from being in a precarious position. The only advantage Kansas has is that the are a large land grant opposed to a small private school. TCU and Baylor should be terrified of the Big 12 being raided.

Reaction Score

It is clear that Rutroh's only qualification for P-5 entry was cable boxes in a geographic area. But, do you think that even a million might ever watch a Rutroh game? More like a handful, right? Like maybe just the parents of the players.

Reaction Score
Rutgers changed the traditional line of thinking. You could be bad, real bad. But what it really comes down to is 'potential eyeball's' and a 'cable-boxes'... not many private schools can truly drive those metrics.

Reaction Score
I understand the issue. We are not in a P-5 conference. :)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I understand the issue. We are not in a P-5 conference. :)
Really? I didn't know that.
upload_2016-5-23_22-51-16.png

Reaction Score
People over value schools like Kansas. I said it in another thread... even Duke is a bad hire post Coach K away from being in a precarious position. The only advantage Kansas has is that the are a large land grant opposed to a small private school. TCU and Baylor should be terrified of the Big 12 being raided.

The only reason they might be safe is that B1G were looking at them and OU. It is possible B1G take KU over us to pair with OU. KU does have that KSU little brother problem, which could cost them major problems if B12 is dead. State of Kansas might just let Kansas go on its own if P5 conference does not want KSU. It is better they get one of their schools into the P5 vs. none at all. KU is also AAU.

I think it would be a mistake for B1G to invite Kansas over us, but you can't ignore the AAU factor.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
The only reason they might be safe is that B1G were looking at them and OU. It is possible B1G take KU over us to pair with OU. KU does have that KSU little brother problem, which could cost them major problems if B12 is dead. State of Kansas might just let Kansas go on its own if P5 conference does not want KSU. It is better they get one of their schools into the P5 vs. none at all. KU is also AAU.

I think it would be a mistake for B1G to invite Kansas over us, but you can't ignore the AAU factor.

Yeah I could see that happening... but it's still not the end of the world for us. Big 12 instability either way is better for UConn. If Texas and OU leave the Big 12 there's still a decent slate of schools, when compared to the AAC. You get a pretty decent conference if you take the top of the AAC and what's left in the Big 12. It's not great but it's much better than the AAC. What is bad for us is the status quo.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yeah I could see that happening... but it's still not the end of the world for us. Big 12 instability either way is better for UConn. If Texas and OU leave the Big 12 there's still a decent slate of schools, when compared to the AAC. You get a pretty decent conference if you take the top of the AAC and what's left in the Big 12. It's not great but it's much better than the AAC. What is bad for us is the status quo.

Exactly. Right now, that's our worst case. A weaker Big XII that adds from the AAC, and maybe the MWC/BYU.

If OU went SEC, and UT and KU B1G, then the Big XII would need 5 schools. UConn, Cinci, BYU, Houston, and pick one between Memphis and CSU. It would still be a big step up from the AAC. Would keep a P5 designation.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
I've come to the conclusion they really don't understand what Conference Realignment is really about.

The thought that they consistently throw out is that a certain team doesn't have enough viewers not that have a lot of cable boxes. They posted that RU and MD just don't have enough viewers to be in the B1G, they are so bad.
It's about MONEY.

Reaction Score
People over value schools like Kansas. The only advantage Kansas has is that the are a large land grant opposed to a small private school.
KU: AAU, and large public, yes, but not a Land Grant institution. Hoops history, a few titles, and, Gayle Sayers. Cmon, he was good in the early 60s and nice to Brian Piccolo ... makes all of the difference being in the club. ;)

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
KU: AAU, and large public, yes, but not a Land Grant institution. Hoops history, a few titles, and, Gayle Sayers. Cmon, he was good in the early 60s and nice to Brian Piccolo ... makes all of the difference being in the club. ;)
Not sure KU goes anywhere before us if they somehow end up in our purgatory.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The KU candidacy depends on three things.

1. The media rights money they generate.
2. The composition of their research capabilities. If it's mostly agricultural that's bad.
3. The other school being invited. If it's UT or OU, that's good. If it's UVa that's bad.

Again UConn finds itself trying to thread the CR needle and Rule 1.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The KU candidacy depends on three things.

1. The media rights money they generate.
2. The composition of their research capabilities. If it's mostly agricultural that's bad.
3. The other school being invited. If it's UT or OU, that's good. If it's UVa that's bad.

Again UConn finds itself trying to thread the CR needle and Rule 1.

I'm with Fishy on this who posted sometime in the past couple days that the B1G is going to be all about UVA and UNC in 2025. They are thinking with 50 year timelines and so large population states or major MSAs markets are a must which leaves no room for Kansas or OU....unless something happens with the ACC which causes them to think the doors are permanently shut, but even then, they are better to wait it out until the right coastal or large state assets are ready for the picking.

To me OU has to look at SEC for an escape while Kansas has only a slim chance of finding a home outside of B12. Its about long term demographics and cable boxes, both are necessary to pay for CRA today and in the future.

I think by 2028 the AAC and the B12 remnants will combine for a very strong "franken" conference.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not sure KU goes anywhere before us if they somehow end up in our purgatory.
Look, I'm as big of an optimist as anyone of us when it comes to UConn and CR but there is just no truth behind this. Even if it's wrong, KU is leaps and bounds ahead of us as far as attractiveness in regards to CR. It sucks and it's sad but it's true.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Look, I'm as big of an optimist as anyone of us when it comes to UConn and CR but there is just no truth behind this. Even if it's wrong, KU is leaps and bounds ahead of us as far as attractiveness in regards to CR. It sucks and it's sad but it's true.
using which metrics? Don't forget they were nearly a member of the Big East when TX , OU, etc. were reported to be headed to the Pac12.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom