Adamec: Saniya...in the classroom! | The Boneyard

Adamec: Saniya...in the classroom!

Reaction Score
Chong's degree of difficulty; Huskies visit Tulsa in search of win No. 92

Carl has an interesting piece on Saniya....not so much on her solid play on the court but in her pursuit of a degree.

Great job by Saniya!

Here's a salute to Saniya and all student athletes!! The 100% graduation stat for the women's team is terrific. (BTW, Pat Summit had the same stat at Tenn.; dont know what their current coach has.) Women's teams generally have higher graduation rates than the men's teams, which are slowly improving but still have a long way to go.

Reaction Score
the American dream realized....

"That I'm going to get my degree, it means so, so much to me," Chong said. "I'm going to be the first one in my family to graduate from college. My father was only able to go to a community college and my mother didn't get to go at all because she had my brother. I take a lot of pride in it because I know how proud my parents and family are of me for doing that. To get the basketball scholarship, to get this education, it means a lot to me because it meant so much to them."

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Different day, different school, different athletes.

But for this old emeritus, this is a story I got to live for forty years, seeing and assisting kids like Saniya. The feeling of pride you feel in their growth and achievement never leaves you. You go, Saniya! Rock on!

Just reading her story made my day.

Reaction Score
Here's a salute to Saniya and all student athletes!! The 100% graduation stat for the women's team is terrific. (BTW, Pat Summit had the same stat at Tenn.; dont know what their current coach has.) Women's teams generally have higher graduation rates than the men's teams, which are slowly improving but still have a long way to go.

Two different animals entirely. If the women's game allowed players to leave early for the WNBA, and if the rookie contracts were in the millions and not the tens of thousands, the graduation rate would be vastly different.

Reaction Score
I know we are going to see Saniya's best basketball from now on. I saw her play in h.s. She is gifted. She can score and pass. Her defense has improved tremendously !

Reaction Score
Two different animals entirely. If the women's game allowed players to leave early for the WNBA, and if the rookie contracts were in the millions and not the tens of thousands, the graduation rate would be vastly different.

Even after adjusting for players who leave for pro contracts, the male graduation rates are MUCH worse than those of the women. There is a huge difference.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Congrats to Saniya! I think Charde and some others were the first people in their families to get a college degree. That IS a big deal.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Congrats to Saniya! I think Charde and some others were the first people in their families to get a college degree. That IS a big deal.

Take it from one who was also a college "firsty," yes! It is a very big deal. Not so much at all to the rest of the universe, but the inner feeling of personal confidence you get is significant. I have never met another person who said "I wish I had not bothered to get my degree."

Education comes in many forms, both formal and informal. I have embraced both. No regrets.

When I see the UConn women speaking publically about their programs and their progress, it makes me feel that they, their generation and their colleagues are going to do more great things, both before and after graduation. As several others have written here,

"Enjoy the Ride!"

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
From a retired educator, band director, and first in my family to earn a college degree, a big shout out to Saniya on this accomplishment!

These are the stories that tell the true meaning of college athletics and coaches who demand excellence in all areas.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom