Adamec: Huskies ready to turn words into action | The Boneyard

Adamec: Huskies ready to turn words into action

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Auriemma is in agreement with the reigning national Player of the Year that things have to change.

“Some games are lost before they’re even played, and by that you look at the circumstances leading up to the game.” Auriemma said. “What Stewie meant was that our practice habits are not very good. It takes us a long time to get things done. Some of that is incorporating our new guys. Then people go, ‘How comes the young guys didn’t play?’ Well, we didn’t want to lose by 30. You couldn’t put those guys in that situation in that environment.

“Every day we have to get them to understand that we don’t win by outscoring the other team. That’s not how we win at Connecticut. You don’t win big games on the road by outscoring them. Our practice habits have not been good defensively.

LINK

Reaction Score
A couple of quotes jump out at me:

RE: Lack of playing time for the freshmen:
“Some games are lost before they’re even played, and by that you look at the circumstances leading up to the game.” Auriemma said. “What Stewie meant was that our practice habits are not very good. It takes us a long time to get things done. Some of that is incorporating our new guys. Then people go, ‘How comes the young guys didn’t play?’ Well, we didn’t want to lose by 30. You couldn’t put those guys in that situation in that environment."

Clearly Geno feels the freshmen (minus Kia) were not ready and playing them would have done more damage than good for their confidence.

RE: Defense and the role in the loss:
"The sad part is that we were up 10 with six minutes left. But knowing what I know now, maybe the worst thing that could have happened is if we would have won. You can’t just show up and not defend and still win on the road against a quality team"

Defense has always sparked the offense for UConn. I bet the players now have a much better understanding of how important defense is to UConn's success.

RE: Stewie:
“Her first two years she didn’t have to say boo. What’s becoming evident to her is she’s going to have to take on a bigger role. That involves physically as well as vocally. After the Stanford game she was pretty vocal.”

Can she maintain this and become the vocal leader this team needs? My gut says yes.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
UConnChapette said:
A couple of quotes jump out at me:

RE: Lack of playing time for the freshmen:
“Some games are lost before they’re even played, and by that you look at the circumstances leading up to the game.” Auriemma said. “What Stewie meant was that our practice habits are not very good. It takes us a long time to get things done. Some of that is incorporating our new guys. Then people go, ‘How comes the young guys didn’t play?’ Well, we didn’t want to lose by 30. You couldn’t put those guys in that situation in that environment."

Clearly Geno feels the freshmen (minus Kia) were not ready and playing them would have done more damage than good for their confidence.

Gee that sounds awfully familiar... I wish someone on the boneyard had thought of that...

o wait...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Gee that sounds awfully familiar... I wish someone on the boneyard had thought of that...

o wait...
Yes, I was one of the ones that said that. :D

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
yes it still reminds me of Chiney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors