Adamec: Huge weekend for recruiting...April 18-20 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Adamec: Huge weekend for recruiting...April 18-20

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
The men's team is potentially looking at redshirt juniors who have graduated and would be eligible to play right away. Would such a transfer opportunity be available for the women's team?

An experienced and moderately talented 6'2" player with post skills would seem to be a good addition, given how thin UCONN's front court will be next year.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The men's team is potentially looking at redshirt juniors who have graduated and would be eligible to play right away. Would such a transfer opportunity be available for the women's team?

An experienced and moderately talented 6'2" player with post skills would seem to be a good addition, given how thin UCONN's front court will be next year.
Geno is not a fan of JUCO transfers so I presume that he wouldn't be looking for a graduate student either. Remember Rashidat Sadiq? That did not work out well. Geno was quoted as saying having a player for 2 years wasn't enough; it took one year to break the player of bad habits and two more to get the good ones to be, well, a habit.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
My lack of inside information is trumped by my supreme confidence in Geno, so I believe that one reason he was able to shrug off Wilson's selection of USC is his confidence in reeling in a good haul from the 2015 class, perhaps with a catch or two this weekend. Relying on the incomparable phraseology of Mark Twain, Geno recruits great players ". . . with the serene confidence which a Christian feels in four aces."

On second thought, still thinking of my optimism and Mark Twain's wit/wisdom, here's his view: "Optimist -- a day-dreamer more elegantly spelled."

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Geno is not a fan of JUCO transfers so I presume that he wouldn't be looking for a graduate student either. Remember Rashidat Sadiq? That did not work out well. Geno was quoted as saying having a player for 2 years wasn't enough; it took one year to break the player of bad habits and two more to get the good ones to be, well, a habit.
Yes - I think Rita was the only really successful JUCO transfer and she was 'local' which I think probably helped. On transfers from D1 - Christina Rigby and Brittany Hunter are the only 'successful' ones I can remember though they had somewhat limited impact - Hunter obviously because of her injuries.

On edit - Rita also played three years at Uconn - not two. The first year was very limited.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
My lack of inside information is trumped by my supreme confidence in Geno, so I believe that one reason he was able to shrug off Wilson's selection of USC is his confidence in reeling in a good haul from the 2015 class, perhaps with a catch or two this weekend. Relying on the incomparable phraseology of Mark Twain, Geno recruits great players ". . . with the serene confidence which a Christian feels in four aces."

On second thought, still thinking of my optimism and Mark Twain's wit/wisdom, here's his view: "Optimist -- a day-dreamer more elegantly spelled."
Love Twain's humor and the first quote was new to me - thanks.

Reaction Score

Does he really have a choice? He knew Wilson wasn't coming and he moved on. I hope everybody else do the same thing...

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Yes - I think Rita was the only really successful JUCO transfer and she was 'local' which I think probably helped. On transfers from D1 - Christina Rigby and Brittany Hunter are the only 'successful' ones I can remember though they had somewhat limited impact - Hunter obviously because of her injuries.

On edit - Rita also played three years at Uconn - not two. The first year was very limited.
Geno recruited Rita out of high school but she was missing some class(es) and needed to go to a junior college to get all of her required courses before matriculating at UConn. It's a little different than recruiting a "new" player out of a junior college.

Tihana Abrlic was another transfer. She had some great games but was not very consistent. If she'd had 4 years at UConn she could have been a star, IMO, but didn't have enough time to learn all of the new habits Geno would have liked to instill.

Reaction Score
Am hoping for a class of 4 this year.
2016 roster has 8 players but 2 have a history of injuries

Reaction Score
Personally, I'm awaiting Geno's tweet about having "special guests" this weekend. :rolleyes:
Maybe to outdo a very "special coach", he'll say "special, special guests."

Reaction Score
Am hoping for a class of 4 this year.
2016 roster has 8 players but 2 have a history of injuries
I would be okay with a class of four or five out this group. Which two are you talking about with a history of injuries?

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I sort of remember Gino making a cryptic comment about signing four of the top five players in this class. Maybe someone else remembers the exact quote and the context; I can't, and no one seemed to pick up on it. Or maybe I dreamed it.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I sort of remember Gino making a cryptic comment about signing four of the top five players in this class. Maybe someone else remembers the exact quote and the context; I can't, and no one seemed to pick up on it. Or maybe I dreamed it.
He said he felt UCONN had a good shot to land 4 of the top kids UCONN was recruiting. People took his comment and jumped on it (more hoping than analyzing IMHO). There's a difference between saying "we have a good shot" and "we are getting...".

UCONN loaded up on guards from 2014 and some of them are very very good (Williams and Nurse). He's also going after Gorecki as well as Durr. I have to imagine both of those kids would look at Chong, Edwards, Williams, and Nurse and question if they really want to come to UCONN or not. I'm NOT saying they won't, especially Durr, who is Taurasi, Moore and Stewart good, because she'd end up starting over pretty much anyone else UCONN could recruit. But I could see from their perspective that they may feel UCONN is loading up too much on guards. It would be up to Geno and the staff to explain otherwise...

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Geno seamed really confident, and they were all over the place watching kids constantly it seamed- trying to stay ahead with Olympic commitments I think. He was almost like the cat that already had swelled the mice!

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
He said he felt UCONN had a good shot to land 4 of the top kids UCONN was recruiting. People took his comment and jumped on it (more hoping than analyzing IMHO). There's a difference between saying "we have a good shot" and "we are getting...".

UCONN loaded up on guards from 2014 and some of them are very very good (Williams and Nurse). He's also going after Gorecki as well as Durr. I have to imagine both of those kids would look at Chong, Edwards, Williams, and Nurse and question if they really want to come to UCONN or not. I'm NOT saying they won't, especially Durr, who is Taurasi, Moore and Stewart good, because she'd end up starting over pretty much anyone else UCONN could recruit. But I could see from their perspective that they may feel UCONN is loading up too much on guards. It would be up to Geno and the staff to explain otherwise...
Great observation unfortunately.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Pretty huge weekend indeed. Geno got one that he really wanted. Yay! Hopefully the rest of the kids bonded really well. Would love to see at least 1 more verbal this week!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom