Adamec: five questions with USABasketball Big | The Boneyard

Adamec: five questions with USABasketball Big

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://snyuconn.com/uconn/5-questions-with-usa-basketballs-carol-callan-3/#more-16147

The link is to Carl's blog with one of the Bigs at USABasketball. He manages to get Katie's
name in there at some point!
Color me biased--but I love the potentially having "regional" games as part of the try outs. I think that good for WBB all around.
It's true KLS and her classmates shall learn quickly to play defense at Uconn. Geno has always been proud of his teams that play defense--Defense helps to win games. In the NCAA tourney this year Stewie's defense was a impactful as the scoring of others.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
It only has to get as good as KML's

Took the words off my fingertips. The other 4 starters are all above-average defenders. Jefferson and Stewart are way, way above average. To me her elite shooting outweighs whatever defensive issues she might have.

I don't think Katie Lou has the physical tools to be a great defender - as long as she retains the system and hustles she'll be fine. Also, lanky perimeter players sometimes get underrated on D. One on hand, they have trouble staying in front of wings and are too slight to defend the post well. So they frequently get beat individually, but they also contribute to defensive rebounding and shot blocking above what the typical wing does.

There's a couple inches height difference but KLS reminds me quite a bit of Delle Donne. Fun fact: Delle Donne was 6th in the WNBA in block rate last year.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
But I’d love to see our WUG and Pan-Am Games teams play each other and see who would win.”

I know which team I'd bet on. :D

Reaction Score
Agree about Katie's defense. Got to improve and it why I have Collier starting before Katie does.
Wbb - Collier could start before Lou and probably Butler starting before both frosh.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Color me biased--but I love the potentially having "regional" games as part of the try outs. I think that good for WBB all around.
While I would love to attend a regional tryout I don't think such events would be good for WBB. Let's say for the sake of argument Texas has a regional selection, a kid that gets cut from Texas regional selection could easily be one of the best players available. Centralized is the only fair selection process IMO to ensure that you select the best players available. 150+ sounds like a lot of players but I believe this (U16) is the last time they have such a large pool of applicants.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
But I’d love to see our WUG and Pan-Am Games teams play each other and see who would win.”

I know which team I'd bet on. :D
I would not bet against Stewie.

Reaction Score
While I would love to attend a regional tryout I don't think such events would be good for WBB. Let's say for the sake of argument Texas has a regional selection, a kid that gets cut from Texas regional selection could easily be one of the best players available. Centralized is the only fair selection process IMO to ensure that you select the best players available. 150+ sounds like a lot of players but I believe this (U16) is the last time they have such a large pool of applicants.
The big issue for WBB, pro or College, is that few people get any encouragement to see them. It's been my experience that top WBB college teams in their areas people don't know about them. Here you have in a region High School kids with friends who have friends trying out for the USA BB---I can see attendance increasing. Hey Coco--short of having ISIS women play like the old Harlem Globetrotters around the country, what else is there?? It's a superb game and it needs a lot of hyping.. I guess the burka's would inhibit great play.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The big issue for WBB, pro or College, is that few people get any encouragement to see them. It's been my experience that top WBB college teams in their areas people don't know about them. Here you have in a region High School kids with friends who have friends trying out for the USA BB---I can see attendance increasing. Hey Coco--short of having ISIS women play like the old Harlem Globetrotters around the country, what else is there?? It's a superb game and it needs a lot of hyping.. I guess the burka's would inhibit great play.
The opportunity for friends and family to see local kids play is already present by AAU, HS, Allstar games & Sate Championship. The selection of the "national" age group team is for those select few who already have excelled in the previously mentioned events. The National stage should be for the best of the best -pardon the cliché- and should be a fair as practical. Regional down-selection would be unfair IMO.
ISIS women bballers? Humm, Burkas aside, I'm not sure I could support that no matter how much game they had.

Reaction Score
The opportunity for friends and family to see local kids play is already present by AAU, HS, Allstar games & Sate Championship. The selection of the "national" age group team is for those select few who already have excelled in the previously mentioned events. The National stage should be for the best of the best -pardon the cliché- and should be a fair as practical. Regional down-selection would be unfair IMO.
ISIS women bballers? Humm, Burkas aside, I'm not sure I could support that no matter how much game they had.
USA Regionals would be WAY above those venues/contests you mentioned. USA wouldn't bring teams but they'd bring all the best players into local/regional contests. AAU who except those playing or their coaches know where or when their games are played?? Tolivar coached by her daddy (who last I heard still coached) was big time stuff in my areas--but few outside of AAU knew of any of her games.
You may be right---but if something different or any thing isn't tried--outside of a select group--who will be following WBB?? Until Regional contests are initiated you'll never know if they work or will be FAIR. Progress is made by walking outside of your comfort zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom