ACC Tournament | The Boneyard

ACC Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If you are stuck inside this afternoon and bored, the first rounds of the ACC Tournament are on NESN starting at 1.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Is it True that Greyhound is one of the Sponsors of the ACC Tournament.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Is it True that Greyhound is one of the Sponsors of the ACC Tournament.
Nah, one of their bus drivers ran over some Duke players about a week ago, so the sponsorship had to be pulled.

But Toyota is an official sponsor for the ACC event so maybe they can provide a bus for any of the teams if needed.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
And despite being 2-14 in the ACC this year (though they did just beat a team that beat Notre Dame), perennial doormat Wake Forest is threatening to win its 7th straight ACC tournament opener stretching back to 2008-09. Boston College having problems again.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
And despite being 2-14 in the ACC this year (though they did just beat a team that beat Notre Dame), perennial doormat Wake Forest is threatening to win its 7th straight ACC tournament opener stretching back to 2008-09. Boston College having problems again.
Yep. A pretty bad (2-14 in ACC) Wake team is handling a somewhat bad BCU team (5-11 in ACC) and Dearica Hamby is en fuego with 21 points so far. Kid's got game for sure!

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Duke's loss to a BC team that will likely be ranked around #125 in Sagarin is certainly going to be a bad tire mark during selections. And it's that time of year when you pray that UConn's OOC opponents don't lay an egg in their conference tournaments, though with Vandy I still hope they get kicked some more.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Duke's loss to a BC team that will likely be ranked around #125 in Sagarin is certainly going to be a bad tire mark during selections. And it's that time of year when you pray that UConn's OOC opponents don't lay an egg in their conference tournaments, though with Vandy I still hope they get kicked some more.
Question though - Given that UCONN beat the #2 and #3 teams in the nation by an average of 22 points or so, does it really matter what our OOC opponents do in their tourneys? Our SOS could be 50 and UCONN would still be the overall #1 seed IMHO...

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Absolutely right as far as UConn's placement, but personally I would prefer that ND fans didn't come over here and say, "Look, your RPI SOS just dropped back to #40." As you well know, the old time UTenn fans would have a field day with that, and RPI is the orangey-gold standard over there. Who cares if they cackle, I know, but I'm just a mean person who doesn't like to see them have their fun with their brain-dead toys.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
And on another conference championship note, who would ever have thought a few years ago that a team rated #77 by Sagarin would be the #3 seed in the B12 tournament? TCU with a bad rating and a 9-9 conference record still won the tie-breaker for the #3 seed there, and Creme has the Frogs as one of the Last Four In, though that was before the 34 point crushing at Texas. Think TCU and WVU really need to do well in the B12T.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Yep. A pretty bad (2-14 in ACC) Wake team is handling a somewhat bad BCU team (5-11 in ACC) and Dearica Hamby is en fuego with 21 points so far. Kid's got game for sure!

Anybody remember the last time Boston College had a good women's team? Have they ever had a good team?
And likewise on the men's side?

Sometimes it seems to me that after they left the Big East, their athletic fortunes for major teams took a dive - but I admit I haven't followed the Eagles very closely and it's only a casual observation.

Reaction Score
Question though - Given that UCONN beat the #2 and #3 teams in the nation by an average of 22 points or so, does it really matter what our OOC opponents do in their tourneys? Our SOS could be 50 and UCONN would still be the overall #1 seed IMHO...

SOS could be 1000 and UConn would be #1 overall seed...

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Anybody remember the last time Boston College had a good women's team? Have they ever had a good team?

Sometimes it seems to me that after they left the Big East, their athletic fortunes for major teams took a dive - but I admit I haven't followed the Eagles very closely and it's only a casual observation.
Back in 2004 when my old junior high principle's daughter Cathy Inglese was coaching the Eagles they were good enough to beat the Huskies in the Big East Tournament and win through to the Sweet Sixteen in the NCAAT. They were generally a pretty tough team in the early-mid 2000s, but when Gene DeDysfunctional started getting rid of all the decent coaches in all sports when they moved to the ACC, women's basketball tanked liked the rest of the sports but hockey.

Reaction Score
Do the hokie pokie..... Virginia Tech upsets NC State.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
NC State was the first of Creme's Last Four Out teams, so with the Wolfpack pushed off the table it means one less team on the bubble to compete with if Tulane can do well in the AACT. Still a long shot though.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
NC State was the first of Creme's Last Four Out teams, so with the Wolfpack pushed off the table it means one less team on the bubble to compete with if Tulane can do well in the AACT. Still a long shot though.
How was NC State even sniffing the NCAA's? 16-14 overall with a 7-9 record in the ACC, and losses to the very Tulane team you just mentioned. They do h ave a win over Duke, but it's the only good win they have. So many "bad" losses including one to BC, among others. But I do agree Tulane's loss to Tulsa probably sealed their fate, if it wasn't already sealed.

I do think the AAC will be decent next year - UCONN, USF, Temple, Tulane, ECU and Tulsa are all respectable. Would be great to see 4 teams from the AAC get into the tourney...

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
How was NC State even sniffing the NCAA's? 16-14 overall with a 7-9 record in the ACC, and losses to the very Tulane team you just mentioned. They do h ave a win over Duke, but it's the only good win they have. So many "bad" losses including one to BC, among others. But I do agree Tulane's loss to Tulsa probably sealed their fate, if it wasn't already sealed.

I do think the AAC will be decent next year - UCONN, USF, Temple, Tulane, ECU and Tulsa are all respectable. Would be great to see 4 teams from the AAC get into the tourney...

It's amazing to me (having watched how the Big East improved over time) to see that the new conference, AAC, is improving the same way. UConn has a very positive impact on everyone. Geno must be very proud...

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score

Not only was the women's team a solid program barely a decade ago, but the men's team was too (although there was some scandal, gambling-related, in their history too). A quick google search would reveal this info, if you're too young to go back 10 years or better.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score

Besides that win over Duke, the next most respectable win was over a Miami team that Creme has as one of the Last Four In with a win over ND but just a pile of road losses to bad teams. I guess otherwise the best you can say for NC State was that they had some respectable losses -- by 7 points to Louisville and ND and by 4 points to UNC. Every year has some questionable bubble teams, but this year's bubblers really do seem to have mainly just froth.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Besides that win over Duke, the next most respectable win was over a Miami team that Creme has as one of the Last Four In with a win over ND but just a pile of road losses to bad teams. I guess otherwise the best you can say for NC State was that they had some respectable losses -- by 7 points to Louisville and ND and by 4 points to UNC. Every year has some questionable bubble teams, but this year's bubblers really do seem to have mainly just froth.
Bingo on the last point! I don't put a lot of stock in Creme, but this year its a combination of things that make it more mysterious than ever. Basically, there are not a lot of good tournament candidates out there, IMO. As a general fan of the game, I don't particularly put it down to the gap between UConn, the next group, the next group and the rest. Rather, it just seems that unlike many seasons, a lot of teams are very flawed.

I think there is an impact also in that the OBE brought 8 teams to the table and between them the American and new BE are not bringing anywhere near that number at this point. And the former OBE teams that are going from their "new" conferences are not, IMO, "adding" to their new conference's number, just replacing another team as things have worked out.

Reaction Score
And on another conference championship note, who would ever have thought a few years ago that a team rated #77 by Sagarin would be the #3 seed in the B12 tournament? TCU with a bad rating and a 9-9 conference record still won the tie-breaker for the #3 seed there, and Creme has the Frogs as one of the Last Four In, though that was before the 34 point crushing at Texas. Think TCU and WVU really need to do well in the B12T.

Considering their level of talent, I think Coach Peabley (sp?) has done pretty well this year. I look for them to get better as I think she's one of the better young coaches in the nation. With all that said, TCU (and the other frothy bubble teams) would not even be considered in other, more competitive years.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Conference tourneys already getting upsets. #22 Syracuse goes down to Wake Forest (13th in ACC) 85-79.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Conference tourneys already getting upsets. #22 Syracuse goes down to Wake Forest (13th in ACC) 85-79.
Orange crushed. Roadkill in the Demon Deacons' wake.

And that should drop Syracuse out of the top 25 when losing to a team that went 2-14 in conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom