ACC Network to launch by August 2019 | The Boneyard

ACC Network to launch by August 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sources: ESPN-backed ACC Network set for '19

Because of this and articles like the Fox report below, it seems likely that UCONN will be added as the 16th member.

Why Notre Dame football could end up joining the ACC

As the Fox article states the new network revenue will make up for the loss of NBC $ for ND's 7 home games.

ESPN should be watching the numbers and performance of UCONN football against VA, Cuse and BC with keen interest. Winning and hopefully dominating will further strengthen UCONN's chances of an invite to the ACC.

ESPN and the ACC will also be paying close attention to the UCONN-CUSE men's Bball game at MSG on Dec.5th as the battle for who is New York's team will intensify.

Further, the UCONN woman's dynasty in basketball coupled with tremendous rivalry's and competition against ND, Cuse, NC, Villanova and Duke will contribute added revenue streams to the new network as a result of the ACC having the most dominant Women's basketball conference in the USA!

While I would love an opportunity to follow Rutgers and MD into the B1G, UCONN becoming a member of the ACC makes more sense for these and other reasons. Although UCONN would have to accept a Big 12 invite, if asked, UCONN in the ACC seems much more reasonable and attractive.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
image.jpeg

Reaction Score
So there are 2 things I've stopped following completely because of the nonsense. Recruiting and CR.

I would think this, coupled with the Big 12 news puts us in a good spot yes?

Reaction Score
So there are 2 things I've stopped following completely because of the nonsense. Recruiting and CR.

I would think this, coupled with the Big 12 news puts us in a good spot yes?

I'm no wizard but I just get the feeling that with all that is happening and especially the news of the ACC, network and how it could mean more$$$ for
the Irish coupled with their need to be in a play off game, these can only be good signs for UCONN. ND has a contract with NBC til 2025 but that's why we have lawyers. No doubt with all the moola something can be negotiated.

Reaction Score
ND gets a full ACC Network share without having to join in football or even commit to one additional game.

There is no incentive to join. These new ACC deals say that ND football does not have to join the ACC for the next 20 years.

David TeelVerified account

‏@DavidTeelatDP

1-on-1 w/Swoff: Says Notre Dame will receive full share of #ACCNetwork revenue, as opposed to the 1/5 share it gets from overall rights.

Teel has also repeatedly said that without ND, not ACC Network deal would have occurred.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
So I guess we should hope ND gets snubbed from the playoff!

Reaction Score
ND gets a full ACC Network share without having to join in football or even commit to one additional game.

There is no incentive to join. These new ACC deals say that ND football does not have to join the ACC for the next 20 years.

‏@DavidTeelatDP

1-on-1 w/Swoff: Says Notre Dame will receive full share of #ACCNetwork revenue, as opposed to the 1/5 share it gets from overall rights.

Teel has also repeatedly said that without ND, not ACC Network deal would have occurred.
Thats very believable.... take what you can...you deserve a full share in that case...hopefully they don't grow to resent it somewhere down the line!?! Personally i don't like special treatment in conferences but Swoffy had no alternative with all the conflicting interests and agendas in the ACC's strange composition/geography!!!

Reaction Score
Sources: ESPN-backed ACC Network set for '19

Because of this and articles like the Fox report below, it seems likely that UCONN will be added as the 16th member.

Why Notre Dame football could end up joining the ACC

As the Fox article states the new network revenue will make up for the loss of NBC $ for ND's 7 home games.

ESPN should be watching the numbers and performance of UCONN football against VA, Cuse and BC with keen interest. Winning and hopefully dominating will further strengthen UCONN's chances of an invite to the ACC.

ESPN and the ACC will also be paying close attention to the UCONN-CUSE men's Bball game at MSG on Dec.5th as the battle for who is New York's team will intensify.

Further, the UCONN woman's dynasty in basketball coupled with tremendous rivalry's and competition against ND, Cuse, NC, Villanova and Duke will contribute added revenue streams to the new network as a result of the ACC having the most dominant Women's basketball conference in the USA!

While I would love an opportunity to follow Rutgers and MD into the B1G, UCONN becoming a member of the ACC makes more sense for these and other reasons. Although UCONN would have to accept a Big 12 invite, if asked, UCONN in the ACC seems much more reasonable and attractive.
Nothings sweeter than beating the conference teams that done all they could to sink you...a few in particular....my guess if ND ever considers going all in they'll get to choose the 16th team....I doubt anyone would object!?! I wonder would they suggest Navy? I'm doubtful the Naval Academy would accept for obvious competitive reasons.

Reaction Score

‏@DavidTeelatDP

Okay but I have to think part of the ESPN/ACC network deal had more to do with Notre Dame than is being made public. John Swofford had ND sign a contract that states if they join a conference it must be the ACC. Read what Tim Brando said about why he thinks Notre Dame will become a full ACC member in three years. I believe he said it before the ACC contract was done. Nothing is for sure but to me as I have said the ACC, Network and Notre Dame becoming a full member can only be good for UCONN. If the B12 comes a calling beforehand it's a moot point. If the ACC wants UCONN bad enough, then perhaps the B12 expansion news will help to facilitate matters in some way.

On The Audible with Bruce Feldman and Stewart Mandel, FS1's Tim Brando explained why he thinks Notre Dame will eventually end up joining the ACC:

"I believe it will happen when Notre Dame understands it's in their financial best interests to be in a conference, because they cannot command the same dollar from NBC or any other network by simply having seven home games televised. If you look at the revenues generated by both the Big Ten and the SEC and the ACC without a network, as a conference member full-time [Notre Dame] would do much better than they are doing with their current arrangement ... In three years, I believe you'll be looking right down the pike at an ACC Network, and I think the reason will be Notre Dame elected to become a full-time member.

"Talk to the coaches about preparing for a schedule that is off-the-charts as theirs is year in and year out. I don't think there's any doubt [head coach Brian Kelly] would prefer being in a conference. Both publicly and privately I've spoken to him about it, and that's his true belief. But the major reason why you do it, fellas, is not because the coach wants it. It's because it makes economic sense. It will make even more sense as these [TV] rights fees continue to move upward. A lot of things about the television business are being compressed, but rights fees are not.

"Notre Dame as an individual institution, maybe a few years ago a deal like the one they have with NBC was a seminal moment in broadcasting and sports for a school to have its own network television deal. That's not true anymore. That was before the SEC was raking in all of this cash, and before [Big Ten commissioner] Jim Delaney was able to put a deal together like the one he did with FOX and still has a looming second tier to negotiate. As a conference, you are stronger than any one institution, and yes that does include the great Notre Dame."

Lastly, Kelly wants to be in a conference and all of the other ACC coaches want Notre Dame to become a full member as well: Coaches: Notre Dame should be in a conference

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Carl, the nice thing about your hypothesis is that it will be test over the next 3 months. If we are to be #16, Swofford will get around to calling Susan very - very soon.

Reaction Score
Brando brings a lot of solid reasons why ND should join the ACC full time but I think he &many others are overlooking a move that would still allow ND to maintain independence while increasing revenue for ESPN/ACC/ND & that is simply assigning their football rights to the ACC's TV package.

Reaction Score
Okay but I have to think part of the ESPN/ACC network deal had more to do with Notre Dame than is being made public. John Swofford had ND sign a contract that states if they join a conference it must be the ACC. Read what Tim Brando said about why he thinks Notre Dame will become a full ACC member in three years. I believe he said it before the ACC contract was done. Nothing is for sure but to me as I have said the ACC, Network and Notre Dame becoming a full member can only be good for UCONN. If the B12 comes a calling beforehand it's a moot point. If the ACC wants UCONN bad enough, then perhaps the B12 expansion news will help to facilitate matters in some way.

On The Audible with Bruce Feldman and Stewart Mandel, FS1's Tim Brando explained why he thinks Notre Dame will eventually end up joining the ACC:

"I believe it will happen when Notre Dame understands it's in their financial best interests to be in a conference, because they cannot command the same dollar from NBC or any other network by simply having seven home games televised. If you look at the revenues generated by both the Big Ten and the SEC and the ACC without a network, as a conference member full-time [Notre Dame] would do much better than they are doing with their current arrangement ... In three years, I believe you'll be looking right down the pike at an ACC Network, and I think the reason will be Notre Dame elected to become a full-time member.

"Talk to the coaches about preparing for a schedule that is off-the-charts as theirs is year in and year out. I don't think there's any doubt [head coach Brian Kelly] would prefer being in a conference. Both publicly and privately I've spoken to him about it, and that's his true belief. But the major reason why you do it, fellas, is not because the coach wants it. It's because it makes economic sense. It will make even more sense as these [TV] rights fees continue to move upward. A lot of things about the television business are being compressed, but rights fees are not.

"Notre Dame as an individual institution, maybe a few years ago a deal like the one they have with NBC was a seminal moment in broadcasting and sports for a school to have its own network television deal. That's not true anymore. That was before the SEC was raking in all of this cash, and before [Big Ten commissioner] Jim Delaney was able to put a deal together like the one he did with FOX and still has a looming second tier to negotiate. As a conference, you are stronger than any one institution, and yes that does include the great Notre Dame."

Lastly, Kelly wants to be in a conference and all of the other ACC coaches want Notre Dame to become a full member as well: Coaches: Notre Dame should be in a conference

Read Jack Swarbrick's quotes a week or so ago that his mandate is to preserve independence and that is still ND's goal:

Jack Swarbrick: Football independence and no playoff expansion are ND's goals

But the question remains: Had the Irish hung on to win but Oklahoma still made the Playoff instead on style points, would that have prompted a serious evaluation on Swarbrick’s part about whether full conference affiliation is needed?

“No, not at all,” he replied. “It’s not any 11-1 finish. Had we played differently against Wake Forest and Boston College and finished 11-1, it might raise a different question. But we had lost the edge we carried into those games relative to the Selection Committee’s view of us. In some ways that hurt us more than the Stanford outcome.”

Because the Irish finished No. 8 in the Selection Committee's poll at the end of the regular season, they could have gotten in with the eight-team Playoff in 2015. However, Swarbrick sees no groundswell of support in the collegiate ranks to expand to eight teams — and he would oppose it even if there was.

“There is zero momentum in that regard, and I am not in favor of it,” Swarbrick replied about an eight-team format. “I think the four works, and in many ways it has exceeded our expectations. I think it has preserved interest in the other bowls, which we were worried about. It’s made for a compelling, compact playoff.

“And when you talk about this, as we do, the Committee talks to the schools that have been through the process. The prospect of playing a third game in the playoff window — we’ve yet to find a coach who thought that was a good idea after they played two. It’s just tough.”

The four-team Playoff is ideal to Swarbrick for two other main reasons.

One, it doesn’t dilute the importance and every-week-is-a-playoff excitement of the regular season. No sport, college or pro, has a more gripping regular season than FBS football, and the leaders want to keep it that way.

Second, the bowl tradition is maintained and remains significant to many teams throughout college football.

What if Notre Dame is blessed to have a few 11-1 regular seasons now through 2025, and still gets left out of the four-team Playoff?

Swarbrick is not swayed by this hypothetical. One of the foremost mandates through his first eight years on the job has been to preserve Notre Dame’s football independence however possible and as long as possible.

“We have accepted from day one that there will be years where our independence will work against us in getting into the College Football Playoff,” he said. “I don’t know what year that will occur, but we’re very comfortable with that trade-off, that the benefits of independence are worth the inevitability that there will be a year where our independence hurts us. We’re fine with that trade-off.”

Here’s the deal: Notre Dame has lost a minimum of three games in 21 of its last 22 football seasons (2012 the exception). Thus, it would be nice to first become a good enough program to where 11-1 becomes a potential “problem.”

https://notredame.n.rivals.com/news/notr...n-as-goals

There are no "secret" deals to bring ND football into the ACC.

Reaction Score
Carl, the nice thing about your hypothesis is that it will be test over the next 3 months. If we are to be #16, Swofford will get around to calling Susan very - very soon.

Brando follow up on ACC/ND/UCONN 7/27/16

"I’ve spoken to Irish coach Brian Kelly on the air and off. He has expressed how disjointed his schedule against those in major conferences has become. The ACC Network deal with ESPN gives the Irish appropriate options, long term. My thoughts are since they’ve got to be in the ACC if they choose to join a league between now and 2036, they’ll join sooner rather than later. If that happens and the ACC gets Notre Dame as its 15th member, the 16th is likely Connecticut – as long as the folks in Storrs don’t panic. “Panic” always is a key word because it plays a role daily in intercollegiate athletics, whether it is in policy or the hiring and firing of coaches."

He has a different slant on B12 expansion. In the same article he predicts, BYU, Colorado State, Houston and Memphis. Unfortunately it does not include UCONN. Remember he said we shouldn't panic. I believe that the ACC or the B1G are better homes for UCONN than the B12 anyway.

"Here is my new look Big 12: Bowlsby’s first move (in my opinion) is to BYU. The only hindrance is scheduling because of the school’s religious affiliation (no Sunday games), but working around it shouldn’t be a problem. Once you move to the Mountain Time zone, you need another school that is a geographic fit. I love the advances made in Fort Collins and Colorado State is really well supported. Get CSU as the 12th team."

"Now it’s here where the Big 12 should pivot and become proactive and go to 14 teams. Fans need to understand that at this point, TV markets and financial backing really counts. Texas needs to allow Houston to join. If that doesn’t happened, you get Fred Smith at Federal Express on the phone and see if his commitment to Memphis is real. If the answer is “yes,” take the Tigers as number 13. Ideally, Houston and Memphis are the choices. If the Cougars can’t shake old-fashioned Texas politics, you have plenty of options, and the two that make the most sense are UCF and Cincinnati."

Here's the rest of the whole article:
Big 12 Expansion: Conference needs to make bold move NOW

Because of the New York market, UCONN is still a remote possibility for the Big 12 but from everything I've read lately, it seems unlikely. That said UCONN needs to be dominant in the AAC and persistent in its quest to join a P5.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't think you have read the same thing that I read. I believe UConn is definitely in the mix for the Big 12. I think an invite to the B1g or ACC is not going to happen, whether they are better for UConn or not. Those conferences are now closed. Brando thinks ND will be joining the ACC as a full member. Just not going to happen. With the new ACC GOR extended to 2036, and future expansion of football playoff, there will never be a need for ND to join the ACC or any other conference for that matter. For UConn it is now or never, as well. The Big 12 would be wise to make an eastward expansion. Money and population should be what it is all about.

Reaction Score
I don't think you have read the same thing that I read. I believe UConn is definitely in the mix for the Big 12. I think an invite to the B1g or ACC is not going to happen, whether they are better for UConn or not. Those conferences are now closed. Brando thinks ND will be joining the ACC as a full member. Just not going to happen. With the new ACC GOR extended to 2036, and future expansion of football playoff, there will never be a need for ND to join the ACC or any other conference for that matter. For UConn it is now or never, as well. The Big 12 would be wise to make an eastward expansion. Money and population should be what it is all about.

Obviously we obtain our info from different sources. This is a blog and it is made up of a bunch of knuckle head fans like me voicing opinions that come from articles written by other knuckle heads. I hope you are right and UCONN gets an invite to the Big 12. Many would agree that the b12 isn't ideal but 99.9% would gladly accept. Nothing I have read of late has UCONN high on the Big12 list. I am prepared for the rejection and if that happens, I am hopeful UCONN will someday, somehow get an invite from either the ACC or the B1G.

Reaction Score
Obviously we obtain our info from different sources. This is a blog and it is made up of a bunch of knuckle head fans like me voicing opinions that come from articles written by other knuckle heads. I hope you are right and UCONN gets an invite to the Big 12. Many would agree that the b12 isn't ideal but 99.9% would gladly accept. Nothing I have read of late has UCONN high on the Big12 list. I am prepared for the rejection and if that happens, I am hopeful UCONN will someday, somehow get an invite from either the ACC or the B1G.
Thank you. I hope you have twenty years to wait. I don't. Thus my angry posts.

Reaction Score

Good read about UCONN inclusion in ACC in Tar Heels blog:

UNC has endless possibilities with new ACC Network

What does that have to do with UNC? In two words, "nothing" and "everything". The new network is going to push the ACC basketball schedule to 20 games. By adding UCONN, the ACC would be in position of gaining a powerhouse basketball school who also fields a football team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom