Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Welcome to the American!

dead+goose.jpg

Reaction Score
Give Rutgers an extra $50 million over current (and that ain't happening) and they get close to FSU's total athletic income.. Maybe after 2021 for a short while.

FSU is happy as long as they can play at a high level, compete for the major prizes, and play on the big stage where the spotlight gets smaller..

This board, I am convinced, is God's favorite sit com.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Give Rutgers an extra $50 million over current (and that ain't happening) and they get close to FSU's total athletic income.. Maybe after 2021 for a short while.

FSU is happy as long as they can play at a high level, compete for the major prizes, and play on the big stage where the spotlight gets smaller..

This board, I am convinced, is God's favorite sit com.

Rutgers isn't your problem, schools like Michigan, OSU, Alabama, LSU, Florida, Georgia and Texas are. These schools make and are able to spend millions more than you can. So far, FSU has held its own. Chances are they will keep on for the next decade or so. When the other football kings start using that money to make upgrades on their program, that's when you will see the difference.

Reaction Score
The Big Ten teams have been making millions more for a lifetime..........spending money isn't an automatic ticket...if it was, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Texas A&M, Arkansas, Georgia, etc would have won recent national championships....

Florida has always made more money than FSU and always will.....it is recruiting, recruiting, recruiting.

Heck...FSU has won three national championships since Georgia's last....and two since Michigan's.

Reaction Score
I do not think that the ACC programs will ever make as much as the SEC nor the Big Ten....neither will the Big 12 and much of the PAC 12.

But...currently...FSU made more in athletic revenue than 10 of the Big Ten schools and eight of the SEC schools. I do believe that there may be a little bit more left to access in media money for the ACC, but that is not enough to be a difference maker.

As Texas found out, you can really spend so much money...and it doesn't always buy you real success. Clemson makes about $50 million less a year than Oklahoma but that didn't help Oklahoma the last two seasons when Clemson beat them by 20 points.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
As UCONN has proven time and again, it isn't the money- it's the people

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So, why do we think an ACC Network is good for UConn?

Do people here really think that an ACC Network is hanging on the 900,000 TV sets in the Hartford/New Haven DMA?
Do I really think an ACC Network is hanging on the Hartford/New Haven DMA? No, I think an ACC Network is a carrot dangled to keep a mix of public and private schools with different needs and goals together as long as possible. It will never happen, thus the Hartford/New Haven DMA is irrelevant to it.

FYI-
Hartford/New Haven DMA
#31 DMA in America
2.7 million people

Population 18+ 2,086,421
Median Age 49.2
Median HHI $66,618
College Education 59%
Employed 59%
Own Home 66%

Median HHI – $69,092; Median Age – 54.6

That doesn't include just under a million Fairfield County residents.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Do I really think an ACC Network is hanging on the Hartford/New Haven DMA? No, I think an ACC Network is a carrot dangled to keep a mix of public and private schools with different needs and goals together as long as possible. It will never happen, thus the Hartford/New Haven DMA is irrelevant to it.

FYI-
Hartford/New Haven DMA
#31 DMA in America
2.7 million people

Population 18+ 2,086,421
Median Age 49.2
Median HHI $66,618
College Education 59%
Employed 59%
Own Home 66%

Median HHI – $69,092; Median Age – 54.6

That doesn't include just under a million Fairfield County residents.

UConn is MUCH more than the Hartford/New Haven DMA. Football is top 5 in NYC and Boston. Plus there are UConn fans throughout the northeast as part of the 11.4M TVs that live within 2 hours from Storrs.

Adding UConn to the ACC mix would have a very similar affect as adding Rutgers to the B1G. The ACC already has Syracuse and ND (for now) in it but still comes in as a distant 2nd to the B1G in New York. UConn would shrink the gap between the two. It also gives ND another northeastern partner for their alumni base and enough incentive to perhaps stay in the ACC on their sweetheart NBC deal. Is it enough for the ACC and ESPN to create a network? No. That ship has long sailed when the conference failed to add markets years ago and, instead, expanded based on whoever had a better football record that year. But adding UConn and our northeastern exposure would help keep the conference in tact and maybe lead to a few B12 schools jumping over (Texas on a similar ND sweetheart deal?).

Reaction Score
Yeah the ACCN "picking up steam" conversation went something like this between Clemson AD Dan Radakovich and Florida State AD Randy Spetman.

Clemson AD Radakovich - "Randy, hey its Dan over here at Clemson. Remember when we strong armed the ACC basketball schools into making short term football additions by threatening to leave?"

FSU AD Spetman - "Yeah Dan, we got a short term payout on Louisville and helped our football strength of schedule. "

Clemson AD Radakovich -"The problem is now the ACC needs a network and we did not obtain any of the teams we needed. I think we screwed ourselves."

FSU AD Spetman - "Damn I think you're right. How are we going to explain this one? I know, lets blame Commissioner Swofford and keep pretending a network is coming."

Clemson AD Radakovich - "Sounds like a plan. I'll put out a bunch of press statements saying Swofford is working on an ACCN now. Then when the obvious "no ACCN" announcement comes out we can push the blame on him."

FSU AD Spetman - "Sounds perfect. In all fairness this is honestly the smart ACC schools' fault. Why in the hell would they listen to us....we play football not school. From here on out Duke better get back in charge of thinking and stuff like that...

Clemson AD Radakovich..."well, like I always tell my players when they make a mistake...just keep denying everything. We will totally dump this on Swofford. See you on the gridiron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom