ACC Network picking up steam | The Boneyard

ACC Network picking up steam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Summary:

- Clemson AD Dan Radakovich interviewed for the story

- "The ACC Network, according to Radakovich, is the first thing ACC Commissioner John Swofford thinks about when he goes into his Greensboro, N.C. office every day. Talk of a conference network will be one of the hot button items on the agenda when the league’s athletic directors get together in Amelia Island, Fla., for their annual spring meetings in a couple of weeks."

- He doesn't think that they'd catch up to Big Ten but can come close with network in place

- Says that contracts with MSOs are reasons for delay

- Sees something worked out with providers in 2018, 2019 and 2020

- Says people would want to access content in other ways even with cord cutting

- Expresses confidence in ESPN as a partner to monetize the content they've purchased

Reaction Score
The only thing picking up steam in the ACC is the frustration level of its premier programs who understand they are failing way behind the SEC/BIG.

The day Swofford publicly states the ACC is not getting a network is the day the ACC implosion becomes official. All the ACC can keep saying is a network is coming whether it is true or not.

The ACC never expanded to build a network (losing Maryland, not taking UConn, Rutgers and WVU while adding BC, Cuse, Pitt, and Louisville.)

It would be great for UConn if an ACCN was coming as UConn could easily sell an ACCN in CT+...but why would ESPN pay more to the ACC for a product they are getting for less now?

Reaction Score
Even if it's all rhetorical, I like this for UConn's CR chances. If it's BS, at least it makes the B12 consider expanding in the near future to keep up with ACC. If an ACCN really does happen then obviously UConn can sell that in CT (as mentioned above).

Reaction Score
If ESPN already owns most of the ACC's 1st, 2nd and 3rd tier rights, how would the ACC substantially increase its revenue by way of a network? Is this just the ACC using the network push to try to renegotiate its deal?

Reaction Score
ESPN knows how to make money on sports programming.

If they can make a buck or two off of an ACC network, they will have one. If not, they won't.

I am sure that they are figuring it out....

The 15 year contract with ESPN, signed in 2012, called for "look ins" in year 5 (2017) and 10 to maximize resources. Who knows what that means?

Reaction Score
The Clemson AD, back in 2012 discussed the look in....and it could be the source of the increased rights fee that has been bandied about...

"Phillips specifically mentioned two aspects of the ACC's recent media rights deal, reportedly worth $3.6 billion over the next 15 years. He mentioned two "look-in" windows -- one at five years and one at 10 years -- where the conference could potentially see an increase in the rights fee. He also revealed what many have assumed for a long time. Even in the ACC, football is driving media rights negotiations."

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Remember when for 20 years UConn was going to replace the Field House.

Looking forward, what will happen first?

1. Gampel's ceiling replaced
2. ACCN

Reaction Score

Summary:

- Clemson AD Dan Radakovich interviewed for the story

- "The ACC Network, according to Radakovich, is the first thing ACC Commissioner John Swofford thinks about when he goes into his Greensboro, N.C. office every day. Talk of a conference network will be one of the hot button items on the agenda when the league’s athletic directors get together in Amelia Island, Fla., for their annual spring meetings in a couple of weeks."

- He doesn't think that they'd catch up to Big Ten but can come close with network in place

- Says that contracts with MSOs are reasons for delay

- Sees something worked out with providers in 2018, 2019 and 2020

- Says people would want to access content in other ways even with cord cutting

- Expresses confidence in ESPN as a partner to monetize the content they've purchased
I would call your take wishful thinking, but I think delusion is more accurate.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Eh, the ACC might get a network, but it won't be like the BTN, PACN or SECN. From the scuttlebutt around the webs, it won't be a dedicated single channel, but a channel over several platforms, including Raycom and streaming. I highly doubt that it will catch the ACC up to the SEC or Big10, but who knows?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
ESPN knows how to make money on sports programming.

If they can make a buck or two off of an ACC network, they will have one. If not, they won't.

I am sure that they are figuring it out....
It seems that ESPN has figured it out and a network isn't happening.

Reaction Score
Eh, the ACC might get a network, but it won't be like the BTN, PACN or SECN. From the scuttlebutt around the webs, it won't be a dedicated single channel, but a channel over several platforms, including Raycom and streaming. I highly doubt that it will catch the ACC up to the SEC or Big10, but who knows?

An ACCN does not need to beat the B1G or SEC networks, it just has to beat a XII network.

Reaction Score
Ok "look in" describes the mechanism but still sounds like a tall order to me. I'm sure there is always more to the story but, in this case, it sounds like the ACC is arguing that ESPN (i.e., the entity s that knows how to monetize) is leaving money on the table. Even if the ACC is right, it can't be that much money. Given that it appears that ESPN is not willing to pay B1G money to the B1G for B1G rights ESPN does not own, I can't see how ESPN would be willing to pay anything approximating B1G money for ACC rights it already owns. More power to you though. I admit my view is colored by a deep hatred of all things ACC (individual fans/present company excluded, of course - I hate the game not the playa).

Reaction Score
It seems that ESPN has figured it out and a network isn't happening.

I was busy drafting and you succinctly made the point 5 minutes ago.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If you read the article using a normal set of human eyes connected to a normal human brain, you start to understand that the working title for the article should have been, "Clemson hopes ACC Network is not as dead as it seems."

It is what it is.

We live in a P2 world. Behind the P2 is the G3 - the ACC will have to accept that is where they now fit in the food chain.

Will Florida State and Clemson get used to making about half of what Rutgers and Maryland make off their television rights? No, but that's life. They should just be happy they're not part of the F5 representing the group of five screwed conferences beneath them.

Reaction Score
So, why do we think an ACC Network is good for UConn?

Do people here really think that an ACC Network is hanging on the 900,000 TV sets in the Hartford/New Haven DMA?

Reaction Score
Pac-12 can easily expend into Texas. It'll be P3. West coast has people, too. 3 conferences have the best control of their markets.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
This is nothing more than ESPN/ACC's semi-annual story they pump out to get people to talk about how nice it would be if they had a network. In less than a week, someone from the B1G or SEC will rip a bong hit through a gas mask that was lit with a gazillion dollar bill and the people at FSU and Clemson will remember that their goose is cooked if they stay in the ACC.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't think their goose is cooked - they're just going to have to make due with a smaller goose.

For better or worse, they're stuck in the ACC. Maybe, in a future life, Florida State can dream about the Big Ten, but the SEC isn't calling either one and the Big 12 might be a similar mess.

They have to just make due in the shallow end.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I don't think their goose is cooked - they're just going to have to make due with a smaller goose.

For better or worse, they're stuck in the ACC. Maybe, in a future life, Florida State can dream about the Big Ten, but the SEC isn't calling either one and the Big 12 might be a similar mess.

They have to just make due in the shallow end.

Of course you can write my thoughts better than I can. I meant the FSU goose is cooked - it's smaller than the geese at Rutgers, Northwestern, Illinois and Purdue, but it'll feed more mouths than our goose, which is still out there pecking around woods looking for deer droppings to snack on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom