ACC network officially happening | Page 6 | The Boneyard

ACC network officially happening

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Unless the thought process was that eventually they would add UConn but since they always would be available there was no rush. There is a lot of evidence that UConn is about to become unavailable, at least in the short term. The question is how much the ACC values UConn. Enough to add now? Wait until later to add? Never add?

There is no way enough schools are going to vote to take a pay cut to add them.

Reaction Score
Basically the B12's TV partners have guaranteed the same money for any school they invite which is the same thing ESPN did when Louisville replaced Maryland. The difference is that the ACC made Syracuse,Pitt,Louisville fully vested members from day 1 while the Big 12 is looking to split that 60/40 .

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Unless the thought process was that eventually they would add UConn but since they always would be available there was no rush. There is a lot of evidence that UConn is about to become unavailable, at least in the short term. The question is how much the ACC values UConn. Enough to add now? Wait until later to add? Never add?
0% chance before 2024, same percentage as Notre Dame joining the ACC for football.

Question should be, what are the odds the rest of the P5 force Notre Dame into the ACC by requiring a conference championship for playoff eligibility? What's the incentive to do so? Why would other conferences want to strengthen the ACC like that?

UConn will never be an ACC school. It's stupid and senseless, but true.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Reaction Score
While I agree they won't take pay cuts to add them, I would never say never. We all said no way ESPN gives the ACC a network for content they already own. If they ever wanted UConn in they would find a way. They just don't want us. Could that change?

Reaction Score
Their's no incentive for the ACC to expand right now. In fact we may see a stronger SEC/ACC/ND alliance now that both will have networks under the ESPN umbrella.

Reaction Score

I don't think it's that hard to believe that the ACC could get a pro rata increase to expand. It creates more content for the media deal, so it's not like ESPN would have no incentive.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
The UConn to the ACC ship has sailed. ND gets a full share of ACCN revenue without having to be a full time member. They also get to keep 100% of their NBC profits to remain Indy. They are NEVER going to join the ACC. Ever. They would be foolish to join and give up their independence (read: NBC money). They are essentially now getting B1G money without having to park their sports in the B1G.

The last chance for UConn to the ACC was when UL leapfrogged us and got in. After that, everyone here should've shut and locked that vault door. And now that they have successfully launched an ACCN without adding another school that can bring markets (UConn), there is no need to add us now to create an odd numbered membership and the uneven scheduling that comes associated with it.

It's B12 or bust guys. Go buy football tickets. We are never going to join the ACC.

Reaction Score
whaler11 ... the FACT is that a chance these conferences have to change terms of a contract with a network, they have added/altered their conference makeup. They often see that as the point to "enhance" their gross revenue. I do see this like owning a Commercial property when lease terms open up. If the market exists, this is when they push for more.

This is ONE time that the ACC actions "may" benefit our beloved UConn AD. Building a ACC Network can lead to a better position for UConn. Don't tell BC though. They may go back and try altering things in their clueless campaign for New England domination.

Reaction Score
The UConn to the ACC ship has sailed. ND gets a full share of ACCN revenue without having to be a full time member. They also get to keep 100% of their NBC profits to remain Indy. They are NEVER going to join the ACC. Ever. They would be foolish to join and give up their independence (read: NBC money). They are essentially now getting B1G money without having to park their sports in the B1G.

The last chance for UConn to the ACC was when UL leapfrogged us and got in. After that, everyone here should've shut and locked that vault door. And now that they have successfully launched an ACCN without adding another school that can bring markets (UConn), there is no need to add us now to create an odd numbered membership and the uneven scheduling that comes associated with it.

It's B12 or bust guys. Go buy football tickets. We are never going to join the ACC.
Dooley, you know how appreciative everyone on this board is of your efforts. But if we are to share in your pessimism, one must wonder......"Sure, I will buy football tickets. But if we dont get into the Big12, can I get reimbursed? Only seems fair."

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I have said for years that UConn to the ACC is the right answer.

The difference is that the Big 12 deal already has the pro rata - for the ACC to be made whole they would have to agree to expand, agree who to expand with, get ESPN to pay them, deal with having 15 teams in the football league which is a mess.

At this point nobody has any idea how this network that launches in 2019 is going to work, what it's going to look like or how they are going to make any money.

Since they don't know those answers how could they even determine what UConn's value would be to them in the future state?

Reaction Score
They'll take Cincy or Temple before Uconn simply for the tv add money they can bring. That said, i doubt they expand.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The ACC isn't expanding because they don't have the pro rata clause.

To expand everyone else would need to take less money. This obviously isn't going to happen - which is why the speculation is silly that the ACC is going to randomly add UConn out of the blue.

Is that officially out there? More officially than the notion ACC could never have a network because of Raycom and the B12 is not expanding because UT doesn't want too? Unless the tv contract has been published, I hold out we don't know everything there is to know about the ESPN ACCn GOR extension. Of course, if the contract is out there, then I am ready to be corrected.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
They'll take Cincy or Temple before Uconn simply for the tv add money they can bring. That said, i doubt they expand.
That is a distinct possibility that many overlook and a disgusting thought.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Is that officially out there? More officially than the notion ACC could never have a network because of Raycom and the B12 is not expanding because UT doesn't want too? Unless the tv contract has been published, I hold out we don't know everything there is to know about the ESPN ACCn GOR extension. Of course, if the contract is out there, then I am ready to be corrected.

Well the opposite has never been said. So yeah I guess it's an assumption.

The ACC network exists because it's cheaper than paying them $45 million more a year. Note the 2019 date is because of the Raycom deals.

The Big 12 wasn't expanding until they felt they were doublecrossed by ESPN. If not for the pro-rata deal they wouldn't expand - they are just going to suck some blood out of schools racing to the bottom.

Reaction Score
The ACC isn't expanding because they don't have the pro rata clause.

To expand everyone else would need to take less money. This obviously isn't going to happen - which is why the speculation is silly that the ACC is going to randomly add UConn out of the blue.

An addition reopens the media contract negotiation...the question is..."Does ESPN value UConn enough to make it happen?"

They bumped for every other addition.

Reaction Score
Sometime view points get lost in time and bear repeating. Please re-read the following from Neal Pilson, former President of CBS Sports, as quoted in the NYT:

The most important data point in favor of Big 12 expansion, said Neal Pilson, a media consultant and former CBS Sports president, is the massive rights extensions the Big Ten reportedly struckwith Fox, ESPN and CBS, which would nearly triple that conference’s annual rights revenue (not including the Big Ten Network), to nearly a quarter of a billion dollars.

“A digital network the A.C.C. is talking about with ESPN — it’s a no-brainer, but it’s not a big revenue generator,” Pilson said Wednesday. “It’s added exposure. It looks good. It sounds good. But in terms of the real driver, which is revenue generation, I think the Big Ten is much more relevant.”

For that reason, Pilson advised the Big 12 to take a page from the Big Ten’s playbook. Much as the Big Ten, a traditionally Midwestern league, recently added Rutgers and Maryland to plant its flag near several East Coast population centers, the Big 12, whose members reside in Great Plains states and Texas (and West Virginia), ought to invite Connecticut to join, Pilson said.

“Having Texas and Oklahoma and the other major Big 12 schools playing in the Northeast would create additional revenue opportunities and make it a more attractive conference in terms of new sponsors and a better linear television deal,” Pilson said.

This quote makes the most sense of any I've heard re: the financial benefit of getting a foothold in the northeast (NYC). According to Pilson, the ACCN appears not to be such a big financial deal. It may just have been hyped because the ACC had to do something to placate the FSU and Clemson contingent. I agree that the ACC won't look at us any time soon. (And that's fine with me.) But the Big 12 looks like it will be knocking on our door and we are home.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
An addition reopens the media contract negotiation...the question is..."Does ESPN value UConn enough to make it happen?"

They bumped for every other addition.

They encouraged every other addition. Do they seem interested in encouraging any ACC expansion right now?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Dooley, you know how appreciative everyone on this board is of your efforts. But if we are to share in your pessimism, one must wonder."Sure, I will buy football tickets. But if we dont get into the Big12, can I get reimbursed? Only seems fair."

If I was someone at UConn, I'd offer UConn season tickets holders seat location grandfathering rights. Should UConn ever be invited into a P5 conference, you won't get bumped from your seats for XX years (as long as you renew).

Aside: I'd also offer a bundling option on season tickets too. Order football season tickets and save on hoops/hockey/whatever. Get 3 sports season tickets, get XX% off all your tickets and first rights to grandfathered seat locations on all 3 sports.

Reaction Score
NET NET

The Cartel economics are SET. The SEC and the B1G are far more lucrative than the ACC ... with the B12 soon to be settled and, apparently, the Pac12 struggling to keep up with their Network.

It is my expectation - ECON 101 - that this is not the final look; despite the warnings of onerous GORs. 20 years? Nope. I expect Cheating; Pestilence; Unexpected Consequences. There is no way a Mississippi State will longterm have more revenue than a UCLA or Texas or Texas A&M or North Carolina. Lowly populated states with less well-heeled alumni aren't as valued. I do expect at some point (much again to our UConn detriment) that the top tier of Revenue and Competitive will be 24-30 Programs.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I guess a UConn fan sees his program with a different color of glass in his lens than maybe a non fan.

Football:

1...UConn has never beaten a team while it played in the ACC that had a winning conference record..that's just a fact.
2...UConn has never finished a season ranked
3...in the BCS game year oft cited...UConn (8-5) was in a three way conference champ tie and was a three way co-champ of the Big East.

4....Louisville has beaten since 2000, 12 win Boise State in the bowl and 11 win BYU in the bowl and 11 win Florida in the Sugar BCS bowl
5...Louisville has won 7 bowl games since 2000
6...Since 2000, Louisville has finished AP ranked 6 times, twice finished #6 in AP

Louisville has a legit football program.

Not saying that UConn is not a good program...just that if you were looking at football, Louisville looked better.
It's true that Louisville has a better football program, but UConn is an infinitely better university. By taking Louisville the ACC lost it claim about academics being a priority. That's the legacy of FSU strong arming the conference to take 'Ville.

FWIW, though I'm pretty sure that you are right about season ending rankings, I think that we were ranked #25 going into the Fiesta Bowl.

Reaction Score
It's true that Louisville has a better football program, but UConn is an infinitely better university. By taking Louisville the ACC lost it claim about academics being a priority. That's the legacy of FSU strong arming the conference to 'Ville.

FWIW, though I'm pretty sure that you are right about season ending rankings, I think that we were ranked #25 going into the Fiesta Bowl.
Yeah but, who has better hookers. I used to laugh when @nelsonmuntz used to joke that Jurich offered the ACC presidents hookers and blow. Well, we know he had access to hookers at least.

Reaction Score
Dooley, you know how appreciative everyone on this board is of your efforts. But if we are to share in your pessimism, one must wonder."Sure, I will buy football tickets. But if we dont get into the Big12, can I get reimbursed? Only seems fair."
I don't think he is being pessimistic, just realistic. You could always not renew.

Reaction Score
It's true that Louisville has a better football program, but UConn is an infinitely better university. By taking Louisville the ACC lost it claim about academics being a priority. That's the legacy of FSU strong arming the conference to take 'Ville.

Please don't hate on me, it has been made very clear here ad infinitum, but this is constantly rehashed. Academics don't matter. FSU and BCU screwed UConn for whatever reason they can come up with. Despite what most think here, Mr. Manuel failed at his job at that time. (Hathaway was gone, and although he may have sown the seeds of UConn's destruction, he was not present when the fatal blow was landed.) Whomever is a better university doesn't matter. Louisville is now P5 and will be forever. UConn remains on the outside looking in and although UConn certainly has the P5 metrics, with politics in play in Texas, it is far from certain that the future of UConn is bright.

Reaction Score

Probably right, unless they think adding us is that much better for the conference in the long term. It could be if they value a stronger presence in NYC. Only they know the answer to that, not me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom