ACC network officially happening | The Boneyard

ACC network officially happening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Brett McMurphy
ACC Network will launch by August 2019 & ACC extends conference grant of rights thru 2036, sources told @ESPN

"The ACC will never get a network"

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Brett McMurphy

ACCs new grant of rights means if Notre Dame joins football conference before 2036, it has to be ACC

Reaction Score
ACC closing in on network deal with ESPN – DeCock

Reworked television deal with ESPN to include ACC cable channel, innovative online components

Announcement could come as soon as Thursday, when commissioner John Swofford speaks at ACC football kickoff

Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski: “You talk about the five power conferences, you have to be a power conference in every way”

Read more here: ACC closing in on network deal with ESPN – DeCock

Reaction Score
Brett McMurphy
ACC Network will launch by August 2019 & ACC extends conference grant of rights thru 2036, sources told @ESPN

"The ACC will never get a network"

You understand that "sources told @ESPN" is absurd, right? The network would be with ESPN......

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Wonder what this does for the UNC/UVa to Big Ten theories.

It makes them the same as they always were, a load of moonshine memories. The ACC wants to stay together. The only schools that would find a good home can last on what they have outside of their contract. The others? They need the ACC more than the ACC needs them.

Will this make a load of money? Don't know, but ESPN has made their choice and is going to roll with the ACC over the Big12. If I were Big12 teams not named Texas or Oklahoma, I would start putting some of that vaunted Big12 money aside for when the TV contract runs out.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Haven't been paying too much attention to conference realignment.
Does anyone have any insight as to how/if this affects UConn and their chances of getting into a P5? Does this force the Big 12's hand to expand and get a conference network in any way?

Reaction Score
Haven't been paying too much attention to conference realignment.
Does anyone have any insight as to how/if this affects UConn and their chances of getting into a P5? Does this force the Big 12's hand to expand and get a conference network in any way?

At this point, anything happening regarding realignment, rights, and networks is good for UConn outside of news that another team(s) was selected. Basically, if wheels are turning on any front it's probably good news for us

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Game over. It was fun while it lasted guys. As if there was any hope before...

Reaction Score
ACC schools will be locked up for the next 20 years. There is no getting out of a newly signed GOR. The ACC schools better think long and hard if they want to sign their life away until 2036.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Game over. It was fun while it lasted guys. As if there was any hope before...
I mean... in theory, this could provide the B12 with the necessary motivation to develop a network, maybe with a similar time frame as the ACC. Buuuuut no. Dysfunction. Dead conference walking.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score

Fire up the Oklahoma / Texas to ________ rumors. What? They're already fired up?

BUConn10

Reaction Score
I mean... in theory, this could provide the B12 with the necessary motivation to develop a network, maybe with a similar time frame as the ACC. Buuuuut no. Dysfunction. Dead conference walking.
People are saying this is positive because it's any CR news, which must be good for us. Yet the way I see it the GOR extended through 2036 means that no one will leave the conference, but also more importantly that no one will likely enter the picture once the pen hits the paper.

The one true fit for our program, the one that doomed us a few ears ago, has now officially said its door is closed. The only realistic options now are a conference that is making so much money as it stands right now that it seems like unnecessary risk and more mouths to feed with expansion, as well as a fully dysfunctional conference that is being run by a program hell bent on destroying it for the others for their own gain.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
People are saying this is positive because it's any CR news, which must be good for us. Yet the way I see it the GOR extended through 2036 means that no one will leave the conference, but also more importantly that no one will likely enter the picture once the pen hits the paper.

The one true fit for our program, the one that doomed us a few ears ago, has now officially said its door is closed. The only realistic options now are a conference that is making so much money as it stands right now that it seems like unnecessary risk and more mouths to feed with expansion, as well as a fully dysfunctional conference that is being run by a program hell bent on destroying it for the others for their own gain.

Well, you still have the question of who is #16 if ND ever goes hard for the ACC.

That said, I kinda of always felt #16 could be something crazy like Houston in order to expand the tv footprint.

Don't forget, when OU and Texas leave the B12 in 2026, maybe new opportunities will be created.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So a big part of the B12 not expanding was that better (G5) options were available. They aren't. Does that move them to expandcwith G5 schools?

Reaction Score
Maybe the ACC could use a few more households to pay for the new network? Just give us 10 mill for the next 10 years. Remember we're desperate. :eek:

BUConn10

Reaction Score
Maybe the ACC could use a few more households to pay for the new network? Just give us 10 mill for the next 10 years. Remember we're desperate. :eek:
I just can't see how adding UConn, even in a rhetorical sense, would truly boost the ACC's value with this new development. As it is in CT you can catch pretty much every single ACC game on extended cable, for example the BC NESN exclusives are on across all of New England households.

I hate to be cynical, but I feel as though much of the value us boneyarders claim UConn brings in the form of TV sets is overblown. If the ACC wanted their network in the CT households, there seem to be plenty of avenues available to them outside of forcefully adding us just to add a historically un-important college sports market. I hate, hate, hate everything about college athletics these days.

Reaction Score
First off, ESPN. Go die in a goddam forest fire.
Secondly, Malloy you truly are a massive pu__

Third, the B1G has to be a little caught off guard with this if they were truly thinking long term they were going to take a nosedive down into VA/NC/GT/FSU territory. That's gone.

Now I assume they will look toward the Big 12 and PERHAPS UConn.....if they go to 18 they can take KU, OK, TX and UConn. If they go 16 maybe we can still make out if OK goes SEC and Texas goes PAC or joins ND to push the ACC to 16.

But again, ESPN. It kills me that the company we are giving tax breaks to is infiltrated with Orange hacks who are distributing money left and right to local privates while a top 20 public university in ESPN's backyard is shopping at Family Dollar.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Will be interesting to see what the television piece looks like. 2019 is a long way away they did the SEC network in 14 months.

I'm pretty surprised didn't think they were getting a network.

Bad for UConn - but at least all the Twitter fools look like complete idiots.

Reaction Score
I may be drinking my own bath water but I think this puts us in a better position than before. Now we are the only realistic option left available on the east coast for the foreseeable future. And next to New York. Even if UConn is viewed as a fixer upper, it should sell. B1G, B12 and ACC are still potential buyers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom