ACC Network Done Deal? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

ACC Network Done Deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I say expand all you want with Rutgers, Boston College, Indiana, Iowa State, Vanderbilt, FAU, FIU, etc.....But football fans won't watch low tier match ups at the rate that they watch better games. And eventually demand will have a meaning. Right now you can strng arm folks into paying for a cable channel that they don't watch. That may not be quite as true some time in the future.

The SEC just three years ago, distributed less conference revenue than the ACC....but the SEC was on a tear, winning 7 straight national championships. Now adding an eighth.

And SEC fans watch their teams play...watch big match ups...Alabama-LSU, Alabama-Auburn, Georgia-Florida, etc. It was that watching that made the SEC money in their contract revision and network, not vice versa.

Alabama had money before any contract increase....last year, if you subtracted $30 million from Bama's athletic budget...they still had more athletic department revenue than Georgia, South Carolina, Michigan State, Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Purdue, UCLA, Clemson and the like.

Of the Ten Most Watched Football Games of 2014...

#1 Alabama-Auburn
#3 Alabama-Missouri
#4 Miss State-Alabama
#6 Bama-LSU
#9 Florida-Alabama
#10 Texas A&M-Auburn

That's the power of the SEC....games that people watch.
Maybe, people just watch Bama.

Reaction Score
I'd love for people to chime in on this one, but UNC is the dominant program by far in that state. NC State is a little brother. All kids want to get into UNC, but many settle for NC State.

UNC and Virginia are the two big ones there, definitely not NCSU and VT.
My main argument isn't that UNC and UVA aren't the biggest draws in their respective states (holding all other factors equal). It's that the other factors won't be equal should the two schools accept offers to join the B1G.

If NS State and VaTech remain in the ACC while UNC and UVA move to the B1G, I will, again, cede the point that the Tar Heels and Cavaliers will continue to dominate sports interest in those states. However, if the SEC grants membership to NC State and VaTech, I don't think that domination is so certain.

I believe the public at large, especially in North Carolina and to a lesser degree in Virginia, identifies more with the SEC than the B1G. Who dominates in those markets would be very much in doubt should the B1G and SEC split the Carolina/Virginia schools. I don't think that's the risk Delany is eager to assume. In fact, I argue that, given the enormity of the current task of assimilating the entire Northeast, North Carolina is (at the moment) a bridge too far.

Secondarily, I'm not that sure that VaTech wouldn't be a better fit for the B1G than UVA. For one thing, the B1G is pushing technology and UVA just gives me the impression they're more interested in quoting Shelley than programming drones. Their athletic programs resemble Rutgers more than Wisconsin. Just MHO.

Reaction Score
Secondarily, I'm not that sure that VaTech wouldn't be a better fit for the B1G than UVA. For one thing, the B1G is pushing technology and UVA just gives me the impression they're more interested in quoting Shelley than programming drones. Their athletic programs resemble Rutgers more than Wisconsin. Just MHO.

VT isn't even an AAU school.

Virginia is up there with Berkeley and Michigan.

I mean, there is no question which school the B1G would prefer. Markets and academics.

Reaction Score
VT isn't even an AAU school.

Virginia is up there with Berkeley and Michigan.

I mean, there is no question which school the B1G would prefer. Markets and academics.
Not disputing UVA's academics.

Reaction Score
Under no circumstances would the B1G prefer Virginia Tech over Virginia.

That's not a knock on VTech, which is a fine school. But that's just reality.

Reaction Score
With FSU moving to the B1G this summer, the cow is already out of the AAU barn.

Red is the sarcasm font.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I say expand all you want with Rutgers, Boston College, Indiana, Iowa State, Vanderbilt, FAU, FIU, etc.....But football fans won't watch low tier match ups at the rate that they watch better games. And eventually demand will have a meaning. Right now you can strng arm folks into paying for a cable channel that they don't watch. That may not be quite as true some time in the future.

The SEC just three years ago, distributed less conference revenue than the ACC....but the SEC was on a tear, winning 7 straight national championships. Now adding an eighth.

And SEC fans watch their teams play...watch big match ups...Alabama-LSU, Alabama-Auburn, Georgia-Florida, etc. It was that watching that made the SEC money in their contract revision and network, not vice versa.

Alabama had money before any contract increase....last year, if you subtracted $30 million from Bama's athletic budget...they still had more athletic department revenue than Georgia, South Carolina, Michigan State, Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Purdue, UCLA, Clemson and the like.

Of the Ten Most Watched Football Games of 2014...

#1 Alabama-Auburn
#3 Alabama-Missouri
#4 Miss State-Alabama
#6 Bama-LSU
#9 Florida-Alabama
#10 Texas A&M-Auburn

That's the power of the SEC....games that people watch.

Yet in 2015, the Big10 had more games, including the top three:

No. 1: Michigan State at Ohio State 7.0 3:30 p.m./Nov. 21 ABC
No. 2: Ohio State at Virginia Tech 6.6 8 p.m./Sept. 7 ESPN
No. 3: Ohio State at Michigan 6.4 Noon/ Nov. 29 ABC
No. 4: Alabama at Auburn 6.3 5:00/ Nov. 29 CBS
No. 5: LSU at Alabama 6.3 3:30 p.m./Nov. 7 CBS
No. 6: Florida State at Clemson 5.5 3:30 p.m./Nov.7 ABC
No. 7: Michigan State at Michigan 5.1 3:30 p.m./Oct. 17 ESPN
No. 8: Oregon at Michigan State 5.0 8 p.m./Sept. 12 ABC
No. 9: Notre Dame at Clemson 4.8 8 p.m./Oct. 3 ABC
No. 10: Ole Miss at Alabama 4.6 9:15 p.m./Sept. 19 ESPN

The next most watched games was actually Ohio State and Indiana. I will never argue that the SEC is not the most watched, because it is. But to say that the Big10 has games no one will watch is just asinine.

Reaction Score

JIMHARBAUGHASSHAT2.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member