Academic Redshirts Beginning in 2016 | The Boneyard

Academic Redshirts Beginning in 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
interesting that it mentions nothing about level of course taken and just about grade. An unintended consequence is kids will try to take the easiest level of course offered to maximize grades.

Reaction Score
Reminds me of the old prop 48 rule. Except I believe players lost a year of eligibility back then.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
If we think there are issues at schools like UNC now....holy hell.....wait until this goes into effect.

Reaction Score
this is great news for us IMO...I think it could potentially help even out the playing field even more..

Reaction Score
interesting that it mentions nothing about level of course taken and just about grade. An unintended consequence is kids will try to take the easiest level of course offered to maximize grades.

That's not a consequence of this. I assure you that most of the athletes in the major sports are already looking for the easiest courses and easiest majors (a lot of communications majors in that group). Not all of them, but the vast majority (especially ones that aren't capable of maintaining academic eligibility).

Reaction Score
That's not a consequence of this. I assure you that most of the athletes in the major sports are already looking for the easiest courses and easiest majors (a lot of communications majors in that group). Not all of them, but the vast majority (especially ones that aren't capable of maintaining academic eligibility).

you misread the rule. It's not a minimum college GPA its a minimum high school GPA. A player can get accepted into a college with a 2.1 high school GPA, but that player would have to redshirt his freshman year. At my high school we had 4 levels of classes going from very basic to AP level. What I am saying is that this may encourage kids to take the lowest level possible courses in order to meet the GPA requirement. This wouldn't exactly help out their education.

overall I think it's a good rule though.

Reaction Score
you misread the rule. It's not a minimum college GPA its a minimum high school GPA. A player can get accepted into a college with a 2.1 high school GPA, but that player would have to redshirt his freshman year. At my high school we had 4 levels of classes going from very basic to AP level. What I am saying is that this may encourage kids to take the lowest level possible courses in order to meet the GPA requirement. This wouldn't exactly help out their education.

If a players HS gpa is close to a 2.0-2.3, he isn't taking AP or Honors classes anyway.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
It won't make any difference. Freshman year is (obviously) the easiest year of college and with all of the additional resources the players are given there is no reason why any player in the country can't declare a comm major and achieve a 2.3 with absolutely no trouble. If it was thought to have any massive impact on top-tier schools the rule wouldn't be coming into effect.

Reaction Score

Ahh, didn't read the rule to be honest. Still, if they're the kind of student that is incapable of meeting NCAA qualifications, I seriously doubt they're taking anything more than the basic level of classes anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom