AAU Status and B1G | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AAU Status and B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
To get an idea of how far UConn needs to go just on the numbers, the National Science Foundation recently ranked UConn 82nd in the United States on R&D expenditures. Not one of the Ivy League schools, nor MIT, were in the top 10. Cincinatti was 50.

https://ncsesdata.nsf.gov/profiles/site?method=rankingBySource&ds=herd

Ouch Nebraska is # 80. I wonder what our numbers would look like with the $90 million of med school research added in? It looks like that would bump us up to a more respectable #64. Keep in mind that number doesn't show the impact of UConn's NextGen and STEM campaigns. We've got a ways to go but it is not as bad as it appears at first blush.

pj

Reaction Score
Ouch Nebraska is # 80. I wonder what our numbers would look like with the $90 million of med school research added in? It looks like that would bump us up to a more respectable #64.

I believe that number includes the Health Center.

Some of the institutions ahead of UConn are not AAU competitors (e.g. Mt Sinai medical Center, UT Southwest Medical Center at Dallas, etc).

To be a shoo-in for AAU UConn needs to get into the $350 mn region with Virginia and Georgia (#61 and #62). Some of the more marginal AAU members are Iowa State (#74) and Kansas (#77) but matching them probably wouldn't be enough for an invitation. We're comparable right to Oklahoma (#83) and Florida State (#84). At least our main realignment competitors are not better than us academically.

CL82

Reaction Score
I believe that number includes the Health Center.
Are you sure? Other schools list their med schools separately.

pj

Reaction Score
Are you sure? Other schools list their med schools separately.

Yes. It's largely a matter of distance and/or institutional structure. For example, most of U of Cincinnati's research is at their medical school, which is included in theirs. The ones that distinguish medical centers from universities have independent management and/or more than 75 mile distance.

CL82

Reaction Score
Yes. It's largely a matter of distance and/or institutional structure. For example, most of U of Cincinnati's research is at their medical school, which is included in theirs. The ones that distinguish medical centers from universities have independent management and/or more than 75 mile distance.
Oh then...
Emily+LItella.jpg

I thought that someone, maybe Pudge, had said that UConn's med school was not included. I guess I'm wrong or it was for a different listing.

Reaction Score
Using just that metric, UConn is already ahead of several AAU schools. Just to name a few... Indiana, Missouri, Stony Brook, Carnegie Mellon, Oregon...I stopped comparing, so probably more I did not notice.
IU took a big hit 3 or 4 years ago when they separated the IU Med Center in Indianapolis from the Bloomington campus totals and started calculating IUPUI as a separate school. I believe most of the research dollars now under IUPUI was under IU before. Note that IUPUI is 71st now and IU is 100th. Just FYI nothing more.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
IU took a big hit 3 or 4 years ago when they separated the IU Med Center in Indianapolis from the Bloomington campus totals and started calculating IUPUI as a separate school. I believe most of the research dollars now under IUPUI was under IU before. Note that IUPUI is 71st now and IU is 100th. Just FYI nothing more.

Nebraska got hit because they dropped USDA agricultural grants from top tier "phase 1" to the second tier "phase 2." Being Nebraska, the aggie grants from the USDA were huge in their metrics. Most of their funding came from the USDA. When they dropped them in importance, their metrics dropped below the criteria. The AAU claimed that these grants ". . . generally aren't allocated through competitive, merit-review processes." Link to Document

Now, one could argue that they changed the criteria to put Nebraska below the threshold. I really don't know. It was a really close vote and made it only by 2 votes.

pj

Reaction Score

Average research dollars per professor is more important than total numbers so these separations don't necessarily change AAU standing much. Also, some of the R&D expenditures aren't counted by AAU (e.g. not peer reviewed).

Reaction Score
Here's PSU. Looks familiar minus the medical school. Ours is located in Hershey, PA. If you haven't been there leave now and go. The entire town smells like chocolate. More to the point of the thread, other than a smaller enrollment UCONN fits the profile. The B1G is 100% where you guys belong. I've always believed that and hope to see it come to fruition.

I can vouch the the chocolate scent in Hershey. I took the family there for a long weekend. Still waiting for my wife to return :)

PS - Just remember if UConn does join the B1G, UConn's Dairy Bar > Penn St's Creamery :cool:

Reaction Score
If we were 'offered AAU status,' why would we not accept it? I can't imagine the University turning it down for any reason.
Catholic schools may turn down membership / not seek affiliation with AAU, Notre Dame being a case in point. Research into areas contrary to theological doctrine would be a problem. I do not believe (could be wrong) there are any Catholic schools presently in AAU. Nor is BYU…perhaps for similar reasons.

Reaction Score
Catholic schools may turn down membership / not seek affiliation with AAU, Notre Dame being a case in point. Research into areas contrary to theological doctrine would be a problem. I do not believe (could be wrong) there are any Catholic schools presently in AAU. Nor is BYU…perhaps for similar reasons.

Orkney Rd. in Brighton/Brookline?

Reaction Score

Just took a look, while some of the private AAU members did have a religious founding, such as most of the Ivy League, it looks like all look to be independent today. No BYU, BC, ND, etc.

http://www.aau.edu/about/default.aspx?id=16710

Reaction Score
Nebraska got hit because they dropped USDA agricultural grants from top tier "phase 1" to the second tier "phase 2." Being Nebraska, the aggie grants from the USDA were huge in their metrics. Most of their funding came from the USDA. When they dropped them in importance, their metrics dropped below the criteria. The AAU claimed that these grants ". . . generally aren't allocated through competitive, merit-review processes." Link to Document

Now, one could argue that they changed the criteria to put Nebraska below the threshold. I really don't know. It was a really close vote and made it only by 2 votes.

If the schools funding comes from political pork, the AAU holds it against you. As for hospitals, the AAU wants to know how much research is going on. A lot of schools have high research budgets for their medical centers, but the reality is that the money is being used otherwise. For teaching, for instance.

Reaction Score

BYU tenures faculty for.... NOT conducting research and NOT publishing or writing.

CL82

Reaction Score
I can vouch the the chocolate scent in Hershey. I took the family there for a long weekend. Still waiting for my wife to return :)

PS - Just remember if UConn does join the B1G, UConn's Dairy Bar > Penn St's Creamery :cool:
Gotta say I was at Penn State recently and, of course, tried their ice cream. They are a worthy #2.

Reaction Score
So, B1G....Are we in?
Well, let's jump in the TARDIS; set the controls for 2014. We're going back in time to a B1G campus. A university with a collection of colleges of engineering that are ranked fifth in the nation--tops in the B1G. On this fall afternoon, the university is hosting a bioengineering symposium while celebrating breaking-ground on its first college in six decades--a bioengineering medical school.

Two hundred invitees are present. The five member organizing committee, with the close involvement of the university's president, invites twenty-eight university representatives to appear on the guest speakers list. All speakers are from AAU member universities, except two...
3SwOpLa.jpg

Attachments

• badges.jpg
    badges.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Reaction Score
Find UConn's Guest Speaker Edition. Front row. Fifth from left to right
2CYQxIp.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.