Aaliyah & Adidas NIL | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Aaliyah & Adidas NIL

Reaction Score
Hold on, you're expecting the NCAA to fix this? Look how long it took for them to even do something about NIL.

Second, how much influence could the NCAA have on something that looks to be a federal issue? Highly doubt anything will happen for some time.
You are saying this somehow violates The Constitution or it is under some Federal Law? Come on, let us keep this under college control--you can't expect 545 DC People to know about College, can you?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
You are saying this somehow violates The Constitution or it is under some Federal Law? Come on, let us keep this under college control--you can't expect 545 DC People to know about College, can you?
The current legal issue is whether the NCAA's attempts to regulate NIL or the transfer portal violate the Federal antitrust law insofar as they constitute a "restraint of trade", i.e., they impair the ability of student athletes to negotiate any deal that they (or their parents and agents) wish to make with individual colleges and universities.

Arguably (not saying that I agree with this, or that I am even a lawyer) Federal law already forbids all the things that the NCAA is doing to regulate either NIL or transfers. So perhaps the most straightforward solution is for Congress to carve out an exception to the antitrust laws to allow the NCAA or other organizations to have some ability to regulate college athletics. They have already carved out an exception for Major League Baseball, so this would just be another step to preserve roughly the level of central control that the NCAA has exercised for decades. Presumably some greater freedom for student athletes (such as control over their own NIL) could be accommodated while still giving a significant role to the NCAA.

If courts take the position that nearly everything that the NCAA currently does is illegal, then only Congress can solve that problem.

Reaction Score
1) I'm not the one who said that the government should get involved with respect to visas. That was the poster I was responding to.

2) I may have this wrong as my basic understanding of US government is what I learned in high school, but isn't immigration something that is under the federal branch of government?

3) No I don't expect the Senate or Congress to know anything about college, no more so than those who lead the NCAA based on their actions over the decades. If they're anything like the Canadian government, they're likely using this to win points with their constituents instead of the athletes themselves.

Reaction Score
Hold on, you're expecting the NCAA to fix this? Look how long it took for them to even do something about NIL.

Second, how much influence could the NCAA have on something that looks to be a federal issue? Highly doubt anything will happen for some time.
I said that? This is a multi-faceted problem. The NCAA is part of the problem. They are extremely uncooperative in any area that threatens their power and monopoly. They had to be dragged by the nose through the whole NIL thing. Name 1 thing that the NCAA has done right for sports on their own initiative. Go ahead, I'll wait...

As intransient as the NCAA is, the larger part of the problem is the outdated student visas. The whole student visa and NIL was not thought through in typical government fashion. Only the Fed can fix the student visa problem so that all students have the same NIL opportunities. As stated in other posts, there is legislation being proposed. However, this being an election year, expect no action on anything unless it can be used as a polarizing issue by one side or the other. Student visa/NIL is not polarizing and no one wants to be seen holding hands and singing Kumbaya during an election year.

Reaction Score
I said that? This is a multi-faceted problem. The NCAA is part of the problem. They are extremely uncooperative in any area that threatens their power and monopoly. They had to be dragged by the nose through the whole NIL thing. Name 1 thing that the NCAA has done right for sports on their own initiative. Go ahead, I'll wait...

As intransient as the NCAA is, the larger part of the problem is the outdated student visas. The whole student visa and NIL was not thought through in typical government fashion. Only the Fed can fix the student visa problem so that all students have the same NIL opportunities. As stated in other posts, there is legislation being proposed. However, this being an election year, expect no action on anything unless it can be used as a polarizing issue by one side or the other. Student visa/NIL is not polarizing and no one wants to be seen holding hands and singing Kumbaya during an election year.
1). Your post never specified who was required to fix it which is why my brain went to the NCAA first.

2). My reply also acknowledged that the NCAA drag their feet in a lot of areas. Not sure how you got the impression I disagree with you.

3). I agree that it's a federal issue which is why I asked why you thought the NCAA could do anything. Again, "those" could mean a whole bunch of groups depending on how one interpreted your post.

Reaction Score

Some "clarity" on the deal. She can only leverage it when in Canada and Adidas isn't saying much to avoid the possibility of affecting her visa status is a negative fashion.

Reaction Score
1). Your post never specified who was required to fix it which is why my brain went to the NCAA first.

2). My reply also acknowledged that the NCAA drag their feet in a lot of areas. Not sure how you got the impression I disagree with you.

3). I agree that it's a federal issue which is why I asked why you thought the NCAA could do anything. Again, "those" could mean a whole bunch of groups depending on how one interpreted your post.
You are reading things into my post that simply are not there. I suspect you and I are in agreement, so no harm, no foul.

The only thing the NCAA could do is embrace the employer/employee situation in college sports. I think that would open the door for work visas for international athletes. However, this would be like killing a fly with a hand grenade. Lord only knows what the unintended consequences would be. And since the NCAA can't seem to do anything right, then they should lobby the fed for a fix.

Reaction Score
UCLA was unable to get an exception for Freshman Student-Athletes to enroll during COVID, due to Federal legislation.

That was a relative short-term situation, so I think eventually they should get around to this. However, I wouldn't be betting any money on it happening anytime soon but I would be happy to be proven wrong.

Edit: Happy for Edwards.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom