AAC Bowl game at Gillette? | The Boneyard

AAC Bowl game at Gillette?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=11861

According to sources familiar with the process, Patriot officials are in ongoing discussions with representatives from the American Athletic Conference about bringing a bowl game to Gillette Stadium, perhaps as soon as next season, although the window for creating another bowl game for 2015 is rapidly closing.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
If UConn isn't in this game and is against a CUSA/MAC team, I guarantee the teams, coaches, tv crew will out number the fans.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Don't think it's a good idea. I doubt that a P5 opponent would be involved.

Remember the successful bowl tie in formula requires all three things (or at least two)
1. attractive matchup (read P5)
2. attractive location (read warm or otherwise compelling, the NYC exception)
3. accessible location (read less than a days drive or a cheap flight)

Foxboro is 0 for 3 unless UConn is in it, but we aren't going to show for a December game against the A10 or MAC.

Reaction Score
With UConn, Navy, Temple all relatively close by this isn't exactly awful
Temple can't get their fans to their own stadium. I smell a UMASS invite in the works.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=11861

According to sources familiar with the process, Patriot officials are in ongoing discussions with representatives from the American Athletic Conference about bringing a bowl game to Gillette Stadium, perhaps as soon as next season, although the window for creating another bowl game for 2015 is rapidly closing.

Terrible idea. Nothing to do in the area. Cold weather bowl in NYC around New year's is one thing. This game would draw 20,000 tops.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Aac championship would be a good idea

You think it's a good idea to hold the AAC championship at a neutral site 1k+ miles from the teams that will play in the game?

Well you found a worse idea than Paul Pasqualoni. I look forward to how you top this one.

Reaction Score
With UConn, Navy, Temple all relatively close by this isn't exactly awful
Unless UConn is the rep., this game won't draw flies. Temple is a non issue as it really doesn't have much of a fan base for football as seen by its meager home game attendance. Navy has bowl tie ins (Holiday Bowl?) & will opt for them to maximize its national fan base. If the call comes from San Diego area codes, the Middies are there in a heart beat.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Temple can't get their fans to their own stadium. I smell a UMASS invite in the works.
Even if Umass makes it's way here, they would fill the stadium just as well as Temple would.

This has horrific written all over it.

Reaction Score
Random thought:
The Patriots are annually in the Playoffs. The regular season usually ends @ Christmas Weekend. A potential game would also be in that timeframe. As primary tenants, would the Patriots volunteer to annually play the last game of the regular season on the road to minimize wear & tear to the playing surface, OR, is Kraft considering installing artificial turf to the Razor?

Reaction Score
It's been artificial turf for several years now. Switched after brutal mud game against the dolphins I believe where Brady was slipping all over the place. Actually think it was against the jets.

Reaction Score
Unless UConn is the rep., this game won't draw flies. Temple is a non issue as it really doesn't have much of a fan base for football as seen by its meager home game attendance. Navy has bowl tie ins (Holiday Bowl?) & will opt for them to maximize its national fan base. If the call comes from San Diego area codes, the Middies are there in a heart beat.

I'm not sure it would draw even w/UCONN involved. How many Husky fans are going to be excited to watch their team play a horrible opponent in freezing ass January? No offense but could you imagine trying to fire up the fan base for a game against FIU, Eastern Michigan, or Utah State? Play the thing at Tulane's Stadium against a Sunbelt Opponent. Sure the stadium is small, but its a location people actually want to visit, and would likely draw well against a southern opponent.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I'm not sure it would draw even w/UCONN involved. How many Husky fans are going to be excited to watch their team play a horrible opponent in freezing ass January? No offense but could you imagine trying to fire up the fan base for a game against FIU, Eastern Michigan, or Utah State? Play the thing at Tulane's Stadium against a Sunbelt Opponent. Sure the stadium is small, but its a location people actually want to visit, and would likely draw well against a southern opponent.
FIU and Eastern MI have a combined 3 winning seasons since 1995, and why would an East Coast bowl offer (let alone a Western School accept, provided a better offer) a bid to a mid major program 2,500 miles away? I don't think it's a good idea, unless UConn is involved for personal reasons, but I sincerely doubt you could have come up with three worse hypotheticals than these.

Reaction Score
You think it's a good idea to hold the AAC championship at a neutral site 1k+ miles from the teams that will play in the game?

Well you found a worse idea than Paul Pasqualoni. I look forward to how you top this one.
well one of the teams is going to have to pony up for plane tickets no matter where it is played by the current rule so really nothinghas changed. Under the current rule the team with the best record hosts the game. We have an east and west division. Odds are one team will have to fly about 1000 miles and Boston is a big airport so airfare will be negligible so you have no point others than continuing to harp on pasqualoni.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Whatever. Gives kids a chance to play in a state of the art NFL site, albeit in 20 degree weather.
Close too.

Reaction Score
well one of the teams is going to have to pony up for plane tickets no matter where it is played by the current rule so really nothinghas changed. Under the current rule the team with the best record hosts the game. We have an east and west division. Odds are one team will have to fly about 1000 miles and Boston is a big airport so airfare will be negligible so you have no point others than continuing to harp on pasqualoni.

So if Houston were to play East Carolina, or Memphis vs Cincinatti, "nothing" would change if those games were played at Gillette instead of one of the schools?

That's such a terrible idea.

Reaction Score
So a half an hour in the air or fifty bucks a ticket at most is a terrible idea....... Ok. Although the cost per ticket would be negligible because cheaper to fly into Boston than Charlotte or anywhere in North Carolina.

Reaction Score
So a half an hour in the air or fifty bucks a ticket at most is a terrible idea.. Ok. Although the cost per ticket would be negligible because cheaper to fly into Boston than Charlotte or anywhere in North Carolina.
Honest question, are you high?

The only way UConn (and UConn fans) would want to play a conference championship game there is if we weren't the higher seed. Otherwise we'd rather play in our home stadium.

And nobody else in the conference would ever want the game there.

Reaction Score
Terrible idea. Nothing to do in the area. Cold weather bowl in NYC around New year's is one thing. This game would draw 20,000 tops.

Don't forget Aresco is a TV guy. This is not as much about cheeks in the seats as it is about TV exposure and ad revenue.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...es-attendance-bahamas-camellia-espn/20896969/

"Only one bowl game last year drew fewer than 1.2 million viewers on average, according to Nielsen. That's better than the 1.1 million who watched an opening day baseball game last year between the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox. Nationally broadcast regular season baseball games in 2012 and 2013 averaged about 680,000 viewers."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom