A very nice piece complimenting Breanna's Activism | The Boneyard

A very nice piece complimenting Breanna's Activism

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Just don't read most of the comments!
Thanks for the warning, I'll take your word for it.

Probably no worse than the twitter comments when she won the award in the first place.

One of the reasons I only post on moderated message boards - I may not agree with every opinion, but I don't have to read hate-spewings.

Reaction Score
“........ I’m trying to understand why we, as professional female athletes, don’t receive anywhere near the fame. This has to change.”

If she just wonders why there are not as many fans, I also wonder why. I do not watch the NBA, but I enjoy the WNBA style BB.
However, if she is talking about salaries, there is no puzzle and no legitimate controversy. Why does COSTCO make more money than BJ's? Because more people want their products and there is nothing wrong with that.

BTW, fame is not a right. It must be earned. I also do not believe LeBron's fame vs Stewie's fame is a gender issue.

side issue: Does anyone know how many WNBA clubs make a profit? How many are subsidized in some way? Is that info available? I am pretty sure that most CT Sun fans get in on comps for gambling ( two free ducats to each game). (At halftime, if the game is not a barn-burner, many "fans" leave because they cant stay away from the slots. I never had to pay to see the Sun.

Reaction Score
“... I’m trying to understand why we, as professional female athletes, don’t receive anywhere near the fame. This has to change.”

If she just wonders why there are not as many fans, I also wonder why. I do not watch the NBA, but I enjoy the WNBA style BB.
However, if she is talking about salaries, there is no puzzle and no legitimate controversy. Why does COSTCO make more money than BJ's? Because more people want their products and there is nothing wrong with that.

BTW, fame is not a right. It must be earned. I also do not believe LeBron's fame vs Stewie's fame is a gender issue.

side issue: Does anyone know how many WNBA clubs make a profit? How many are subsidized in some way? Is that info available? I am pretty sure that most CT Sun fans get in on comps for gambling ( two free ducats to each game). (At halftime, if the game is not a barn-burner, many "fans" leave because they cant stay away from the slots. I never had to pay to see the Sun.
Minnesota Lynx World's Richest WNBA Team With Value Of $4

Reaction Score
“... I’m trying to understand why we, as professional female athletes, don’t receive anywhere near the fame. This has to change.”

Supposedly 6 of the 12 teams showed a profit in 2014

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Actually, the comments varied in their support (or disagreement), but as controversial issues go, these comments pale in comparison to those venom-dripping flames that eventually resulted in USA Today eliminating comments altogether.

This reminds me of something my first boss in commercial radio taught me. "When you entertain in public media, a third of the audience will love you, no matter what you do; a third will detest you, no matter what you do; a third of them will not give a damn about you, one way or the other." For my money (and 50 years in the business), he was right.

I'd bet Breanna knows or has heard this too, at some point. It goes with the territory, whether we approve of it or not. I wish that could change, and soon.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Does anyone doubt the outcome of this poll of 20-40 American lassies: Given the choice would you rather attend a Taylor Swift concert or a WNBA semifinals deciding game? Indeed, I bet more than half would ask: What is the WNBA? There are a significant number of women interested in brats, beer and their hubby's favorite college football team's parking lot fall festival. Beyond that group, I don't know.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Solid solid piece. What'd be even better? A piece *complementing* stewie's activism...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom