A UConn-centric perspective | The Boneyard

A UConn-centric perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
1. A lot of people talk about a lack of depth in WCBB, or that Geno only wins with a stacked deck. What tonight (and to a lesser extent, Stanford's loss last night) illustrates is that it's hard to win, even when you have the best player, even if there isn't as much parity in WCBB as there is on the men's side. You simply cannot diminish what Geno has accomplished, especially during the runs from 2000-04 and 2008-present. It hasn't always been perfect (though it's sometimes been) or pretty (though it's usually been), but damn, Geno knows how to assemble and coach up a team. Never forget that. It's absolutely fair to question some of things he says or the decisions he makes; he's not infallible. But he has created, maintained, and lived up to expectations that shouldn't be possible.

2. The 90 game win streak looks more amazing with each passing day rather than less. How the hell did that happen??? How was it almost never even in danger of not happening?

3. If UConn needed a wakeup call heading into the UK game tomorrow, it's gotten two.

4. Whatever happens in the last few rounds of this tourney, UConn is guaranteed to be #1 in my "team of the 2010s" ranking through four seasons. Stanford, Baylor, and ND all had an opportunity to catch UConn. Now that is no longer the case.

5. UConn, playing to its full potential this season, should have been a step ahead of everyone but Baylor. Health issues, a lack of a true PG, and Bria's struggles, have kept UConn from having the chemistry and continuity required to live up to that potential. Make no mistake, though; this team is pretty damn good. There isn't a team left in the field that really scares me. Don't get me wrong- UConn absolutely could lose to UK tomorrow if UK plays inspired ball and UConn doesn't (especially if Stef is hobbled- just look at the St John's game). UConn has lost three times to ND (albeit by a grand total of three points combined in regulation). And UConn could lose to whoever comes out of the bracket between Cal, UGa, Tenn, and Louisville. However, one thing is for sure: the team that hasn't been able to catch a break all season...just caught one.

Reaction Score
3. If UConn needed a wakeup call heading into the UK game tomorrow, it's gotten two.

Yep. If anything, I suspect this upset may have given teams like UK just a bit more confidence. UConn needs to be 100% focused on tomorrow - maybe that focus might come especially from the upperclassmen, helping to get the rest in line?

Women's college basketball can be quite predictable compared to the men's side, but it's never completely predictable.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Really like your points 1 and 2. I would also just add that Uconn having four undefeated seasons out of the seven total, and no other team having more than one is also an amazing thing. (And having the two longest undefeated streaks in WCBB division 1.)
I really thought Baylor had a chance to put together a long undefeated streak after last year, maybe even challenging the Uconn record, but that ended early this year. It really proves just how hard it is to be consistent game after game, with illness, injuries, travel, and school work, and all the other distractions in a college life.
Geno, CD, and all the assistants, managers, support staff, and administration do a really phenomenal job.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
This:
2. The 90 game win streak looks more amazing with each passing day rather than less. How the hell did that happen??? How was it almost never even in danger of not happening?

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
1. A

However, one thing is for sure: the team that hasn't been able to catch a break all season...just caught one.

I may be misinterpriting this, but I read this as Baylor being out of the tourney is a break for UConn. I suppose it does improve their chances of winning their last game, but I'd rather have seen UConn get a chance to play Baylor for the NC .... with everyone healthy. I'm not even sure the Huskies will make it beyond tonight, but if they should do what we hope, then an eighth NC by beating Georgia or whomever just wouldn't be as sweet.

Ohhh, and on the nightmarish side, what if UConn pounds Kentucky, buries ND by 50 (or Duke by 14) and then loses to TENNESSEE! That, of course, is unlikely, but it freaking could happen. Absolutely a nightmare. Worse than the one Baylor had yesterda and I bet some of the Baylor crowd in fact were starting to believe they must just be having a bad dream as insane shots continued to zip the net.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom