A tale of two philosophies. | The Boneyard

A tale of two philosophies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So two weeks ago against Navy backed against our own goal line up by 3points late in the game, we run the ball 3 straight times, get off a bad punt which is promptly returned for a net of 12 yes in field position or there abouts.

This week SU backed against their end zone facing 3rd and 7 after two runs, decides go over the top on us completes what a 55yd pass?

This is nothing more than the mindset of an offensive minded Coach vs a defensive minded Coach. Our coach was trying to nurse a 3pt lead and run out the clock, the SU Coach up 7, tried to put his foot on our throats.

The situations were almost identical, the approach a total opposite. I think the SU Coach guessed right, we would bring no pressure.

This is why even Diaco wins out and gets hired elsewhere, I don't hire another defensive minded headcoach. They're simply too predictable in almost every aspect. Diaco is even risk averse in returning punts for crying out aloud.

Reaction Score
Other teams see the field opening up in front of them. Diaco sees the End Zone sneaking up on him from behind. And yet the pressure he fears he refuses to return when the coin is flipped. It's like he's playing a gentlemen's game while the opposition is going Mad Max.

Reaction Score
So two weeks ago against Navy backed against our own goal line up by 3points late in the game, we run the ball 3 straight times, get off a bad punt which is promptly returned for a net of 12 yes in field position or there abouts.

This week SU backed against their end zone facing 3rd and 7 after two runs, decides go over the top on us completes what a 55yd pass?

This is nothing more than the mindset of an offensive minded Coach vs a defensive minded Coach. Our coach was trying to nurse a 3pt lead and run out the clock, the SU Coach up 7, tried to put his foot on our throats.

The situations were almost identical, the approach a total opposite. I think the SU Coach guessed right, we would bring no pressure.

This is why even Diaco wins out and gets hired elsewhere, I don't hire another defensive minded headcoach. They're simply too predictable in almost every aspect. Diaco is even risk averse in returning punts for crying out aloud.

If I am the DC and I had SU pinned inside its own 10 yard line, I would bring an all out blitz and not take the chance and let their WR run 50 yards up the field. I would not even give their WR the time to run 50 yards before I get to their QB. At least that's what I do when I play NCAA football on my PS3.

Reaction Score

I think our OL is our biggest issue right now. But problem 1A is our lack of a pass rush.

Reaction Score

Was good to see us actually return a punt yesterday, but as far as winning out, don't quite see that happening. With 3 tough games coming up, I think we're looking at 2-5 unfortunately.

Reaction Score
I think our OL is our biggest issue right now. But problem 1A is our lack of a pass rush.
And yet how many times did you notice Luke Carezola drop into coverage defending the flats? I saw him out there at leaSt 3 times.

We seldom blitz. I think our scheme is based on getting pressure by virtue of defending the passing game well. Yesterday their #1receiver, had his way with out top CBS. Nothing changed, which is disappointing because I believed they were good at in game adjustments. But after the 1st 2 scores we held them at bay until they started their game clinching drive on the 1 yd line.

Reaction Score

I"m sorry Noey, but what a total crock. I am not pleased at what we got out of the coaches yesterday, but your comparison is running on 3rd and long at Navy and Syracuse passing on 3rd and long yesterday? While conveniently leaving out that we threw on 3rd and long from our end zone yesterday AND IT RESULTED IN A PICK 6 AND ARGUABLY THE SINGLE KEY PLAY IN OUR LOSS? Or did I miss you complimenting our staff from learning from the Navy game and trying to throw there?

Come on. Criticism is both fine and appropriate. But that's just intellectual dishonesty.

Reaction Score
I"m sorry Noey, but what a total crock. I am not pleased at what we got out of the coaches yesterday, but your comparison is running on 3rd and long at Navy and Syracuse passing on 3rd and long yesterday? While conveniently leaving out that we threw on 3rd and long from our end zone yesterday AND IT RESULTED IN A PICK 6 AND ARGUABLY THE SINGLE KEY PLAY IN OUR LOSS? Or did I miss you complimenting our staff from learning from the Navy game and trying to throw there?

Come on. Criticism is both fine and appropriate. But that's just intellectual dishonesty.
I forgot to add that.

Problem is our pass game philosophy is to throw a pass on the run with a QB who struggles at that into a crowded box. Was that pass even to the necessary yds for a 1st down? The receiver was going to be down where he caught it. By throwing deep if the SU pass was picked it effectively was a punt. By throwing short our worst case scenario was a pick 6, and was realized.

I knew this was going to be the response, we threw and something bad happen, but even the approach to the passed are total opposites. One was a low reward, high risk throw the other was the opposite.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
We can argue about the basic philosophy all day, but our basic philosophy has put us in a situation where we've been in all four games right to the end. That's what BD wants, and we're a competitive team. It's not like playing defensive football is losing us games. What's losing us games is clock management, red zone offense, abysmal o line play and far too many unproductive qb runs. Now that doesn't excuse BD and Verducci at all, but I do think that the premise that the reason we don't win is because we don't play an air raid offense is pretty silly.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I would love to see BD driving a car with an EZ pass transmitter come up to a toll booth with 9 available lanes.

He'd be the guy 100 yards from the booth in the break down lane with his hazards flashing. For like 2 hours.

Reaction Score

We threw on a roll out pass for ten yards, cutting the field in half, and squeezing the field vertically. BS does not throw well on the run. It was a terrible play selection. The time to pass was 1st or 2nd down from inside the pocket down field 20+. On 3rd, they were defending the 1st down marker and waiting for a crossing route or QB option. Verducci was obviously anticipating a blitz when SU was playing field position. In that instance, the only plays were either a pocket pass midfield beyond the backers or a run where SU would have gladly given 6-8 yards. When the pattern is hyper conservative, risk adverse pass schemes. The D can count on short passes to sideline, especially in that situation. I cannot in any manner figure out how an OC fails to recognize he's playing right into the strength of the D and also relying on execution of a play that is contingent on BS doing what he doesn't do well.

I don't find the criticism misplaced on a whole.

Reaction Score
We can argue about the basic philosophy all day, but our basic philosophy has put us in a situation where we've been in all four games right to the end. That's what BD wants, and we're a competitive team. It's not like playing defensive football is losing us games. What's losing us games is clock management, red zone offense, abysmal o line play and far too many unproductive qb runs. Now that doesn't excuse BD and Verducci at all, but I do think that the premise that the reason we don't win is because we don't play an air raid offense is pretty silly.
Completely misses the point.

It's a matter of preference. We've had 3 consecutive defensive minded, conservative coaches. I would like to see what an offensive minded Coach would bring. Diaco is basically trying to run out the clock from the opening kick, and less he Is down 2 scores you can expect runs on 1st and 2nd down.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Completely misses the point.

It's a matter of preference. We've had 3 consecutive defensive minded, conservative coaches. I would like to see what an offensive minded Coach would bring. Diaco is basically trying to run out the clock from the opening kick, and less he Is down 2 scores you can expect runs on 1st and 2nd down.

I get it. I suppose that I just don't really care how we win at this point, I'd just like to have a winning football team. I totally understand that lots of folks want to see exciting football for once.

Reaction Score
I get it. I suppose that I just don't really care how we win at this point, I'd just like to have a winning football team. I totally understand that lots of folks want to see exciting football for once.
If we WERE winning I'd keep my mouth shut or at least my twitter fingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom