A Strange Article About Huskies Streaks Among Others | The Boneyard

A Strange Article About Huskies Streaks Among Others

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"After a while, enough is enough.

And that brings me to the University of Connecticut women’s basketball team, which appears destined for a rare sports double. Every game the Huskies play, they are both breaking records (their own) and setting records that will never be broken."

Bucky Gleason: Not all records will fall (and the Bills own one) - The Buffalo News

This is a stealth dump on UConn article by, of all things, a guy who's claim to fame is covering Buffalo's NFL franchise, the name of which eludes me.

Reaction Score
Nothing stealth about it and not a dump on the Huskies. He clearly acknowledges that they are great and don't have much competition. In a portion of the article that you didnt quote, the author simply states his opinion that Uconn being so much better than its competition is not good for WCBB.

That opinion is nothing new. It shouldn't bother you. I think if I wasnt a UConn fan I might espouse that opinion, as wrong as it is. The status quo pretty clearly is not good for fans of other teams, even as some of them are making strides to close the gap.

Reaction Score
A couple of reactions:

1. I do not know how anyone can say it is not s dump on UConn. He wrote, BAD FOR THE SPORT. If that's not a dump, what is?
2. Bad for the sport? How much you wanna bet this guy sees maybe an average of .289 women's college basketball games a year.
3. Have you ever seen the Buffalo News? One read should do it. "Nuff said.

Reaction Score
My commentary to him:

Bucky Gleason, you are DEAD wrong.

The UConn Huskies Women's Basketball team is NOT "...actually bad for their sport.". they are GOOD for it. You mentioned the rout USF suffered a week ago; that USF program is FAR better than they have been in the past, BECAUSE of UConn and Geno Auriemma's friendship with Jose Fernandez. There IS more parity in Women's basketball, because more young kids are growing up hoping to be the next Diana Taurasi, Maya Moore, or Breanna Stewart (or Candace Parker, or Britney Griner, or Elena Della Donne...), and are striving to achieve that goal. If they can't make the UConn roster, they go to other schools to get their shot, and make THEIR programs better, hoping to get a chance to meet UConn in the Tournament, and show them how good they became. More and more programs are making it to the highest levels of the sport; last year's Final Four had THREE first-timers; when was the last time THAT happened on the men's side? It's all part of what Geno and UConn have done to help grow the sport.

Furthermore, they are carrying the torch for Basketball Purity: the bounce pass, unselfishness on offense, tenacity and dedication on defense...when was the last time you saw a UConn player stand around waiting for a pass to shoot a 3, and then scowling/yelling at teammates because they didn't get the ball? You haven't; it doesn't happen...not on Geno and CD's watch. That would be a sure ticket to pine splinters on your backside.

Fans LOVE watching them, girls want to BE them, guys stand in awe of them, other programs strive to be what they are. As a sports fan, you have little choice but to either sing their praises on High, or turn in your badge and become a hopeless, homer curmudgeon like that fool DS from the BG.

Try watching a few games, and see which road you choose to follow.

Reaction Score
Nothing stealth about it (1) and not a dump on the Huskies. He clearly acknowledges that they are great and don't have much competition. In a portion of the article that you didnt quote, the author simply states his opinion that (1) Uconn being so much better than its competition is not good for WCBB.

That opinion is nothing new. It shouldn't bother you. (2) I think if I wasnt a UConn fan I might espouse that opinion, as wrong as it is. The status quo pretty clearly is not good for fans of other teams, even as some of them are making strides to close the gap.

1---- You've got to be kidding? Are you the author of the article or related to the author? You're saying someone isn't dumping on UCONN when in fact they are saying that UCONN is bad for the sport? That's not a dump?!!! You've got to be kidding.

2-- Sure if you were a fan of another team and there was no UCONN -- all of sudden you and 1,000,000 of your friends would all be diehard wcbb fans. LOL.

Got to love a Buffalo writer feeling a need to pick out a school and tell everyone how he feels they have ruined the sport. Why doesn't he just crawl back into his hole from Buffalo?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
This is from a guy who covers a team that definitely feels the Patriots are bad for the NFL and especially for the AFC East and more particularly for the Buffalo Bills.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom