A Statistical Look At Star Ratings | The Boneyard

A Statistical Look At Star Ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Recruiting rankings do matter, but talent development and coaching continuity is even more important. I saw some very good, consistent programs on that "1" star list.

You can be a fringe top 25 team with all 2 star and 3 star players. It is HIGHLY unlikely, however, that you will have a legitimate top 20 team. TCU and Boise are the exceptions to this rule.

Reaction Score
You can add Utah, and this year Houston. I agree that recruiting rankings matter SOMEWHAT, but college football is becoming about the passing game. Get me a Kellen Moore, Case Keenum, Alex Smith, or Andy Dalton and you'll have a team on cusp of the top ten. Those are all top flight college QBs overlooked by the big boys. If we had an average qb play when we went to the the Fiesta, I think we stroll in there 10-2, or better and we don't hear all the backlash about not belonging.

For the life of me, I've never understood why/how we struggled so bad post Orlovsky to find QBs. We've had a passer go over 2k yards twice since then and one was JMac last year.

Reaction Score
You can add Utah, and this year Houston. I agree that recruiting rankings matter SOMEWHAT, but college football is becoming about the passing game. Get me a Kellen Moore, Case Keenum, Alex Smith, or Andy Dalton and you'll have a team on cusp of the top ten. Those are all top flight college QBs overlooked by the big boys. If we had an average qb play when we went to the the Fiesta, I think we stroll in there 10-2, or better and we don't hear all the backlash about not belonging.

For the life of me, I've never understood why/how we struggled so bad post Orlovsky to find QBs. We've had a passer go over 2k yards twice since then and one was JMac last year.

I think people in the college game get too hung up on prototype size and arm strength when judging high school players. Give me intelligence and accuracy on short and intermediate throws every day of the week. I want a qb who can read a defense, make quick decisions, and deliver the ball from 6-15 yards with accuracy. Thats it, 6-15 yards. Accurately.

Kellen Moore, Chad Pennington, Jeff Garcia, Graham Harrell, and Matt Flynn are some of the many examples.

Reaction Score

In a word . . . Randy. FHCRE couldn't recruit the QB position, couldn't (or wouldn't) coach up the position, and didn't believe in the forward pass. Randy used the passing for 3rd (or fourth) and long. When nobody was fooled that UConn was passing on those downs and cover all receivers well, Randy would become discourage and run,run,run some more. Soon big time playmakers (WRs) apparently were deciding not to come to UConn because there existed little, if anything, resembling a passing game (are you really gonna bring in a Haseem Nicks just to block?).

Reaction Score
In a word . . . Randy. FHCRE couldn't recruit the QB position, couldn't (or wouldn't) coach up the position, and didn't believe in the forward pass. Randy used the passing for 3rd (or fourth) and long. When nobody was fooled that UConn was passing on those downs and cover all receivers well, Randy would become discourage and run,run,run some more. Soon big time playmakers (WRs) apparently were deciding not to come to UConn because there existed little, if anything, resembling a passing game (are you really gonna bring in a Haseem Nicks just to block?).

Did you ever wonder WHY it got harder for Edsall to recruit QB's? It was his program, not his ability to find talented players and recruit them. edsall never had a problem finding talented players and recruiting them, his problem is that he had reached the point he built his program to reach by 2007, and then did nothing to change anything to allow it to continue to grow.

What Edsall did was build a program that was tailored to compete for titles in the Big East conference. He was quite successful, and we've been in competition for big east titles for several consecutive years now. We haven't been completely out of the conference picture at any point in recent years, and if we do end up out of it, that's the sure sign that we're going down, and not up with Pasqualoni. So far, in year one, we have not gone down, we were in position to win a title still, in late November.

Orlovsky played one season in the Big East if I'm not mistaken, and he wasn't even supposed to play in the big east, as we weren't goign to be a big east member until 2005 when he first came on.

Edsall built a program that would be competitive against big east competition. He built a defense that could stop the run, and hold up against a decent passing game, and be easily interchangeable with players, as each role on defense was about executing a checklist of assignements correctly, and there was very little reliance on 1-1 athleticism in the defense.

On offense he built an offense system that relied on trapping and motion, and pulling with the offensive line in the running game, rather than head to blocking. He progressively gave up on the passing game, as the cost of turnover in the passing game, or a lost down and time with no change in field position was enough to significantly hurt our chances to win.

Randy Edsall built a football program that did exactly what it was supposed to do - compete for titles in the Big East conference. At the same time, it progressively pigeon holed us into a style of play that was very, very predictable, and made it very hard to recruit players for the key positions on offense that actually move the ball in large chunks of field position.

I, blieve it or not, did not want Randy to go. I wrote as much here in fall 2010. What I wanted, was for him to recognize the need to change, and then do it.

He went to Maryland, and didn't change a thing. We are now much better off, to take that foundation of competition in the Big East that Edsall built, and expand it the way that it needs to be expanded, to now become not just relevant in the Big East conference, but relevant nationally.

Reaction Score
it seems like we're getting higher rated recruits than ever before, but we're still around 70th or so nationally recruiting. now that this recruiting is becoming such a business, does anyone else think grades overall are being inflated? i wonder if rivals and scout are pandering to customers by grading more leniently than in the past. or maybe the excessive information available now is resulting in more 3 and 4 star recruits overall. does anyone have the numbers on total number of 3, 4 and 5 star recruits this senior class compared to those in the past several years?

Reaction Score
it seems like we're getting higher rated recruits than ever before, but we're still around 70th or so nationally recruiting. now that this recruiting is becoming such a business, does anyone else think grades overall are being inflated? i wonder if rivals and scout are pandering to customers by grading more leniently than in the past. or maybe the excessive information available now is resulting in more 3 and 4 star recruits overall. does anyone have the numbers on total number of 3, 4 and 5 star recruits this senior class compared to those in the past several years?

Yes. There is no question that they pursue grade inflation to make money. Just like private schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom