A Song of Ice & Fire | The Boneyard

A Song of Ice & Fire

Reaction Score
BOOK SPOILERS!!! OBVIOUSLY

So I just finished reading all the ASOIAF books and noticed that on the "Game of Thrones Season 4" thread some people were asking for a new thread that separates the books from the show. Not sure how much attention this thread will get before Season 5 comes out in April but I figured somewhere along the line people will want to talk about the books, including when we should expect Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring to be released (hopefully soon).

Also, someone mentioned that they had expected "a certain someone" (female, I think) to appear in front of Jon at the end of Season 4 but did not. I'm wondering who we are talking about here... I feel dumb b/c I just finished all the books and am not quite sure who is being mentioned.

Reaction Score
BOOK SPOILERS!!! OBVIOUSLY

So I just finished reading all the ASOIAF books and noticed that on the "Game of Thrones Season 4" thread some people were asking for a new thread that separates the books from the show. Not sure how much attention this thread will get before Season 5 comes out in April but I figured somewhere along the line people will want to talk about the books, including when we should expect Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring to be released (hopefully soon).

Also, someone mentioned that they had expected "a certain someone" (female, I think) to appear in front of Jon at the end of Season 4 but did not. I'm wondering who we are talking about here... I feel dumb b/c I just finished all the books and am not quite sure who is being mentioned.

Lady Stoneheart.

Reaction Score
Oh right. I got confused thinking it was a character that Jon meets up with it. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm kind of guessing here, I didn't see the entire final season of the HBO show, but I've read all the books. I recall others saying she hasn't made an appearance yet.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm kind of guessing here, I didn't see the entire final season of the HBO show, but I've read all the books. I recall others saying she hasn't made an appearance yet.

She has not. It hasn't been decided whether or not the HBO writers will put her in the show at all. I suppose her appearance isn't entirely necessary unless she becomes more important in the 6th/7th books

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
UConnTrumbull said:
She has not. It hasn't been decided whether or not the HBO writers will put her in the show at all. I suppose her appearance isn't entirely necessary unless she becomes more important in the 6th/7th books

If she even does become more important in 6 or 7. only predictable thing about GRRM is his unpredictably. ( and his absolute lethargy in finishing this damn series)

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I was wondering myself who Jon met.

Martin has given HBO an outline of the last two books, so someone at HBO knows how the series ends. They probably have 2 more seasons before they completely run out of material, but the way Martin wrote A Feast For Crows and A Dance With Dragons to be simultaneous chronologically, the show will cover a lot of ADWD material in the next season. Some of the show's story lines, such as Bran's, have already caught up with the books through ADWD. My theory on that was that the actor that plays Bran was getting too big (he is probably 6' now) and leaving the character out of a season will give them a chance to recast the part.

Reaction Score
According to IMDB we will be seeing Michelle Fairley (Catelyn) playing "Hooded Woman" on the last episode of season 5...No confirmation from HBO if this is true but definitely interesting.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3866862/?ref_=ttep_ep10
Nice! IMDB doesn't lie. I would expect Winds of Winter to come out later this year but who knows. Since books 4 and 5 occur at the same time they can definitely get 1 more season of the show after this one but then it gets tricky without more source material.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
CTGoonie said:
Nice! IMDB doesn't lie. I would expect Winds of Winter to come out later this year but who knows. Since books 4 and 5 occur at the same time they can definitely get 1 more season of the show after this one but then it gets tricky without more source material.

Been announced that no new book this year, which means the TV show will blow past the books as I think it was announced that there will only be 7 HBO seasons. Expect this season to wrap most of books 4 and 5. I guess we already know the "red wedding style event" for this season.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Been announced that no new book this year, which means the TV show will blow past the books as I think it was announced that there will only be 7 HBO seasons. Expect this season to wrap most of books 4 and 5. I guess we already know the "red wedding style event" for this season.

I don't think anything was "announced". The producers and HBO executives have given interviews where they have said there will be 7 seasons. Or maybe 8. I believe Martin wants more.

http://www.ew.com/article/2014/03/11/game-of-thrones-7-seasons

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/13/game-of-thrones-will-end-with-season-7-or-season-8

I suspect the producers and HBO issue is more the reality of the actors and actresses. Several of the key actors are getting meaningful movie roles, and the kid actors are getting older. By producing much of a season simultaneously, they can keep shoot times down which enables actors like Williams, Dinklage, Clarke and Costaj-Waldau to do the show without impacting their other activities. At some point, the actors may just get too expensive to keep on the show.

I think they will get to season 8, but they will most definitely blow by Martin's material at this point.

I also think that Martin will eventually make a movie prequel of Robert's Rebellion. Just a hunch. Martin is a screenwriter first, which is a lot easier than writing novels. I also predict that the final book will suck worse than A Feast For Crows, and may never get released.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I don't think anything was "announced". The producers and HBO executives have given interviews where they have said there will be 7 seasons. Or maybe 8. I believe Martin wants more.

http://www.ew.com/article/2014/03/11/game-of-thrones-7-seasons

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/13/game-of-thrones-will-end-with-season-7-or-season-8

I suspect the producers and HBO issue is more the reality of the actors and actresses. Several of the key actors are getting meaningful movie roles, and the kid actors are getting older. By producing much of a season simultaneously, they can keep shoot times down which enables actors like Williams, Dinklage, Clarke and Costaj-Waldau to do the show without impacting their other activities. At some point, the actors may just get too expensive to keep on the show.

I think they will get to season 8, but they will most definitely blow by Martin's material at this point.

I also think that Martin will eventually make a movie prequel of Robert's Rebellion. Just a hunch. Martin is a screenwriter first, which is a lot easier than writing novels. I also predict that the final book will suck worse than A Feast For Crows, and may never get released.

Next Game of Thrones book The Winds of Winter won't be out until 2016

Reaction Score
I also predict that the final book will suck worse than A Feast For Crows, and may never get released.

I've long thought this too - it's going to be like the final episode of Seinfeld, a big confusing let-down.

Reaction Score
Apparently some folks came across the original outline that George Martin made to pitch the series. Seems George understood that the series might have to deviate from the book as his pitch contained quite a few things that would make readers of the books shake their heads. A love triangle between Jon, Arya & Tyrion? Oh my.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom