A note on recruiting, and competition. | The Boneyard

A note on recruiting, and competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There was an ongoing piece in the New York Times several years ago, talking about football, and what goes into playing the game. Tracking players, and coaches, in all the hours and days, weeks and months, that go in between those couple of days a year where you get 3 1/2 hours of football on game days.

There is no other sport like football, nothing comes close to the level of competition in all aspects that goes into this game, I love it, but before I digress.

The buzz around recruiting this year is unparalled in UConn football history. I have no reason to think it won't continue.

But this is NOT basketball people. It's not. The guys coming in, most of them, we probably won't see on the game field for a year or two at least. I'd expect the transfer players, and junior college players to see the field before the true freshmen, but you never know.

So what is there to be excited about? If we're not going to see these guys?

It's understanding the game. Understanding that about 90% of the time that a football player puts into being a football player, is spent in the training rooms, in the weight rooms, in the film rooms, in the meeting rooms, and mostly - on the practice field. Maybe 10% of the time that a player puts into the game, into being part of team - is what fans really see.

I will dig for that series and see what I can find and post it. I think it was KC Joyner. Not sure. But anyway.

What is there to be excited about? In my not so humble opinion, in the past year, this coaching staff has put together a COMPLETE roster of players that resembles a 1-A football program. I think it may be the first time in our 1-A history, that come fall, you can look at roster and from the #1's to the #4's and redshirts, it will clearly look like a 1-A roster - at every single position group and single position.

That means I'm excited as all hell about the compeition that will be going on in that 90% of the time these guys do their thing - that we fans don't see.

So - it's great to see everybody's interest in knowing who these kids are, where they've been and what they've done, because we aren't going to see them anytime soon on the field. What we can be assured of, is that the guys ahead of them, are on notice.

And that's the way it should be - every year. You want to be the best on the field on game day. You better have the guys that are the best on the practice field, and you get to be the best by competition.

I love football practice.

Reaction Score
I think the question would be is what freshman will make an impact right away? I think Sylva and Myers has a good chance in alot of playing time.

Reaction Score
Because I just can never stop, I'll write a little bit more.

There are many, many, many football players, that put in their work, put in the sweat, blood and pain, that never get more than a fraction of time on the game field, and recognition from the fans.

It was BL's posts on games that drew me to this website a long time ago, I loved reading somebody that recognized all the players out there, that don't have their names in the box scores, and aren't the ones that everybody can pick out of a lineup by their face, rather than a number, let alone even match a name to a number.

It's on days and nights, like last night, that players like that, get the recognition from fans that they deserve.

I was so damn happy last night.

Welcome to all class of 2012 members, high schoolers, transfers and juco's alike.

Reaction Score
I think the question would be is what freshman will make an impact right away? I think Sylva and Myers has a good chance in alot of playing time.

Don't look for who's going to make the field as a freshman, that's just not realistic. Look for who's going to come in and make the biggest, hardest, loudest impact on the practice field.

That said, we had a roster full of holes in competition last year.

I think all you need to do is look at last year's roster, sort it out by position groups, and and look at the all the players coming in, and compare to who's leaving, and you'll get a clear idea of who's got the realistic shots at coming in and seeing the field on game day immediately. I'm not naming names.

I think the competition at linebacker, is going to see some pad cracking on the practice field that you'll be able to hear at the Dairy Bar.

I think that there is going to be some serious competition for the center spot, and for all the OL spots, but mostly for center.

I think there is going to be a real QB competition for the first time in a long, long, long, long, long, time at UConn. and I'm looking for big things from #2....BTW

Frankly,I can't think of a single position on the field where there isn't going to be MAJOR competition on the practice field for playing time, between upperclassmen, and all the way down to redshirts.

mmm Redshirts, that's a discussion that hopefully will go away. No player is coming into this program anymore with the given concept of a redshirt developmental year. That concept is gone, gone, gone.

Coaches will redshirt players that they decide they can keep in a glass case that says "crack in case of emergency".

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i think a wr and a db who are both frosh will be on 2 deeps. maybe sylva/hicks/myer don't rs. most of the class will rs when its all said and done. my guess is that both williams/whitmer/mcneal all have big impacts.

Reaction Score
LB competition will be incredible. The nice thing is if Hicks and Sylva can come in ready to compete they may make the two deep and be special teams monsters!

Reaction Score
On the defensive side the last few years, those who had the best careers ALL redshirted.
D.Butler, Lutrus, Wilson, Reyes, Wreh-Wilson, S.Moore. Most were 4 year starters.

I think all OL should redshirt.

Reaction Score
The competition on offense will be nuts next year. I expect Griffin to start at TE, every other spot is up for grabs. By my count we MIGHT have 7 positions filled by players from this year's recruiting class alone.

QB: Whitmer
Center: Bockeloh
Guard: Mateus
WR: Phillips, McNeil
Fullback: Clax
RB: Williams

I also expect Hemingway and Gus Cruz to push for jobs on the line.

Reaction Score
On the offensive side of the ball . . . the more change, the better. That is for sure. 2011 . . . not pretty.

Reaction Score
But this is NOT basketball people. It's not.

Carl, stop posting things like this. They are an insult to everyone on the board.

Reaction Score
I think that you'll see very few freshman actually play. maybe defensive backs and a reicever, but I htink it is more likely that the we'll see a lot from the transfers and Whitmer, I'm betting is the leader at the turn to start at quarterback. The offensive linemen, on the other hand almost always redshirt for two reasons. First to lean the system. But secondly and more importantly, because they spend that year adding weight and muscle. the 285 pound guys will be 310 when they take the field. The 300 pounders will be 315-320. You might see some defensive playerss. isn't the old adage thefurther you are away from the football, the less your chance of redshirting.

Don't get why McCoombs still isn't getting any love though. All he did was run for over 1000 yards, play nearly every down, get named a frosh All-American, improve as a blocker as the year went on, and people have him getting replaced by a guy they've never seen, and know nothing about. Serves him right for not being Jordan Todman, I guess.

Reaction Score
I agree totally with freescooter. I think the coaches are going to look to fix what our obvious problems were (passing and catching the football and finding open receivers) and will not spend too much time with the parts of our offense that worked! McCombs did a great job given the circumstances and with a more effective and diverse offense he could be even better. I too am excited with what Joe Williams may bring to the table but I don't see him replacing Lyle but possibly spelling him in a two headed attack. Although you always want competition every year I don't know that we should sit someone that has proven it on the field until they show they are not up to the task.

Reaction Score
I agree totally with freescooter. I think the coaches are going to look to fix what our obvious problems were (passing and catching the football and finding open receivers) and will not spend too much time with the parts of our offense that worked! McCombs did a great job given the circumstances and with a more effective and diverse offense he could be even better. I too am excited with what Joe Williams may bring to the table but I don't see him replacing Lyle but possibly spelling him in a two headed attack. Although you always want competition every year I don't know that we should sit someone that has proven it on the field until they show they are not up to the task.
In regards to Joe Williams, I also really liked his highlight film. But it is a stretch to say he is or should take over for LM. Obviously you never know, but the more likely scenario in my mind is that LM gets the majority of touches. Also for the very little bit I saw (and i mean a very little bit) Deshon Fox in games, I really liked him. He seemed to have a quick burst and with a year to get bigger and stronger he should be a nice replacement for LM when needed.

Again you never know with any of these kids, but to expect a true freshman to come in and beat out a RS soph who was named freshman All American is unrealistic.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
rb- combs-dj-joewill
qb- whitmer-mc(wildcat)-neb-casey(rs)
wr- smith-phillips-mcneal-....
te- griff
fb- clax-vinci
ol- ??

Reaction Score
Personally I don't want to see shoemate out there. I have 0 confidence in him holding on to the football. I rather see Fox or max in there. He's not even close in being better than LM. So unless he's a FB shouldn't be on the field.

Reaction Score
I think DJ is a terrific athlete and can help this football team. There is nothing to suggest he is a workforse TB or even a 10 carry a game back. FB, pass catcher out of the backfield, special teams.....sure. He's not Anthony Sherman that I can see, but I can see him helping in those type of ways.

Lots and lots of hype from the USC pedigree and stars from the recruiting sites. At the end of the day, that stuff doesn't mean jack and your performance on the field means everything.

He starts putting the ball on the ground any more and he better like kick-off coverage a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom