A Little Vance Stat | The Boneyard

A Little Vance Stat

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Per ADB (Sports Therapy: Kentan Facey, Vance Jackson and the UConn Women - A Dime Back):

"Remember right before New Year’s when we told you that UConn was an awful three-point shooting team, in part due to Jackson’s sub-thirty percent output? Since that article, Jackson has gone 17-33 from three. That’s 51.5 percent!"

50%+ is not sustainable over the course of the season, but Vance hitting his 3s at an appropriate clip makes this a different team.

Different how? Like they lose by 20 instead of 30?

I like Jackson a lot - but a small sample size of hot shooting when you lose every night doesn't really change anything.

Reaction Score
Per ADB (Sports Therapy: Kentan Facey, Vance Jackson and the UConn Women - A Dime Back):

"Remember right before New Year’s when we told you that UConn was an awful three-point shooting team, in part due to Jackson’s sub-thirty percent output? Since that article, Jackson has gone 17-33 from three. That’s 51.5 percent!"

50%+ is not sustainable over the course of the season, but Vance hitting his 3s at an appropriate clip makes this a different team.

Vance shooting 3s reminds me so much of Niels Giffey. Set your feet, go straight up. Don't fade to the side.

With Niels and Vance, you can tell if it's going in as soon as it leaves their hands, and conversely, you know it is off even before it leaves their hands, like last night when Vance shot from the corner and hit the backplate. He was drifting left before he even got the ball up to shoot.

With Jalen Adams, you never know. He seems to be able to shoot while drifting.

With Rodney, it's just all luck anyway.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Different how? Like they lose by 20 instead of 30?

I like Jackson a lot - but a small sample size of hot shooting when you lose every night doesn't really change anything.

Or it's a 6-point win instead of a 4-point loss.

The more shots he knocks down instead of missing as he had been earlier this year, the tougher it is for the team to blow late leads i.e. OSU, Auburn, Tulsa. Most (if not all) of the collapses we've seen this year have been due to offensive stagnation. I remember plenty of conference games the past couple years when the team would go cold for long stretches in the last 10 minutes. Someone who is a) a talented 3-point shooter and b) actually shows it off in games is a better salvo than what we've had.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Or it's a 6-point win instead of a 4-point loss.

The more shots he knocks down instead of missing as he had been earlier this year, the tougher it is for the team to blow late leads i.e. OSU, Auburn, Tulsa. Most (if not all) of the collapses we've seen this year have been due to offensive stagnation. I remember plenty of conference games the past couple years when the team would go cold for long stretches in the last 10 minutes. Someone who is a) a talented 3-point shooter and b) actually shows it off in games is a better salvo than what we've had.

Well it changes the team when it actually impacts a game.

He's my favorite player on the team but until he changes a result it's sort of academic.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
When Rodney spots up for three it feels like spinning a dreidel and hoping you get gimel.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
One thing I've noticed about Vance Jackson is that his outside shots seem to have an extra slow movement to them. The ball seems to hang in the air for a long time before making it to the basket.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I like Vance's shooting as of late as much as anyone.

It should be noted that he didn't do diddly squat until the game was decided in the second half. He's a frosh and there's a lot to work with going forward.

Next step is for him to impose his game early on while it matters.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I'd be fine with Vance splitting his 3pt FG% in half and giving the other half to Vital.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Vance shooting 3s reminds me so much of Niels Giffey. Set your feet, go straight up. Don't fade to the side.

With Niels and Vance, you can tell if it's going in as soon as it leaves their hands, and conversely, you know it is off even before it leaves their hands, like last night when Vance shot from the corner and hit the backplate. He was drifting left before he even got the ball up to shoot.

With Jalen Adams, you never know. He seems to be able to shoot while drifting.

With Rodney, it's just all luck anyway.

So true.

Those guys aren't elite shot makers because they can't really hit shots when their form, catch, space etc. isn't perfect.

But they have good form and when you start to see them gather smoothly it's easy to tell when they're gonna be on.

Reaction Score
When Rodney spots up for three it feels like spinning a dreidel and hoping you get gimel.

I want to know what happened to the guy from last year.

Yes, he was cold last year, with games of multiple misses, but there were times when he hit 5 straight 3s.

Reaction Score
I want to know what happened to the guy from last year.

Yes, he was cold last year, with games of multiple misses, but there were times when he hit 5 straight 3s.

I agree. We can turn this season around, we just need to "Make Rodney Purvis Great Again"! Can someone make some hats with this slogan so it'll come true?

Reaction Score
"When Rodney spots up for three it feels like spinning a dreidel and hoping you get gimel.
I want to know what happened to the guy from last year."

"Yes, he was cold last year, with games of multiple misses, but there were times when he hit 5 straight 3s"

A big maybe of speculation here. Rodney seems to me to be an instinctive player relying on his ample physical gifts. Last spring NBA scouts may have told him he needed another year in school and things to work on. This season Ollie told him to be this that and the other thing. I think he's confused.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
"When Rodney spots up for three it feels like spinning a dreidel and hoping you get gimel.
I want to know what happened to the guy from last year."

"Yes, he was cold last year, with games of multiple misses, but there were times when he hit 5 straight 3s"

A big maybe of speculation here. Rodney seems to me to be an instinctive player relying on his ample physical gifts. Last spring NBA scouts may have told him he needed another year in school and things to work on. This season Ollie told him to be this that and the other thing. I think he's confused.

You may be on to something, though we have no way of knowing. I will say this - I like his game more when he pulls up and shoots floaters from 6-9 feet rather than trying to get all the way to the rim. He has short arms and small hands and although he's a powerful leaper he loses the ball and/or gets blocked far too often by the longer players, and sometimes even by the shorter ones. And with those floaters if the D comes to him he can lay it off to a Facey, a Brimah, a Jackson.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Well it changes the team when it actually impacts a game.

He's my favorite player on the team but until he changes a result it's sort of academic.
For your wish to come true he'd have to hit 15 threes a game. He's the third maybe even second best player out there. It's not his fault purvis doesn't show up and brimah can't stay on the floor. Game would've been different at SMU if Adams didn't play like shllt

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom