A Geno With Stubble Gives Tough Love | The Boneyard

A Geno With Stubble Gives Tough Love

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is a very interesting piece...especially the snippet of Geno demonstrating the proper defensive stance. I remember Pat Riley saying that was the first thing he wanted to see from anyone trying out for the Lakers...if they didn't have it down, he wouldn't look at their two-handed reverse dunk.

I've spent many years studying what you know as Shaolin Kung F*...the art famously practiced by people like Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan. It too has fundamentals that have evolved over several thousand years, and the most basic one is the Ma Bu Stance...also known as the Horse Stance. It looks like this:

horse.jpg

When my teacher learned the art from a former Shaolin temple student, he was made to practice this stance for 6 months before he was taught any additional techniques. A proper Horse Stance will have the feet pointed forward, thighs parallel to the floor, with the buttocks pushed out, and the back "arched up" to keep the upper body from leaning forward. Some styles teach keeping the buttocks tucked in which is a more relaxed position so not as good for training purposes.

The reason for the emphasis on this stance is that it is considered the foundation from which all power is generated in the empty-handed arts. The practical aspect is that when you can sit in this stance comfortably for long periods of time, your ankles, knees, quadriceps and back become very strong. If you believe the folklore, the internal organs strengthen, as well. That beneficially affects your quickness, agility and speed; while providing the best preventative against problems like the high ankle sprain, the lower back strain, and the dreaded ACL. And it has the benefit of being practiced without the necessity of a gym, weight room...you don't even need shoes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is a very interesting piece...especially the snippet of Geno demonstrating the proper defensive stance. I remember Pat Riley saying that was the first thing he wanted to see from anyone trying out for the Lakers...if they didn't have it down, he wouldn't look at their two-handed reverse dunk.

I've spent many years studying what you know as Shaolin Kung F*...the art famously practiced by people like Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan. It too has fundamentals that have evolved over several thousand years, and the most basic one is the Ma Bu Stance...also known as the Horse Stance. It looks like this:

horse.jpg

When my teacher learned the art from a former Shaolin temple student, he was made to practice this stance for 6 months before he was taught any additional techniques. A proper Horse Stance will have the feet pointed forward, thighs parallel to the floor, with the buttocks pushed out, and the back "arched up" to keep the upper body from leaning forward. Some styles teach keeping the buttocks tucked in which is a more relaxed position so not as good for training purposes.

The reason for the emphasis on this stance is that it is considered the foundation from which all power is generated in the empty-handed arts. The practical aspect is that when you can sit in this stance comfortably for long periods of time, your ankles, knees, quadriceps and back become very strong. If you believe the folklore, the internal organs strengthen, as well. That beneficially affects your quickness, agility and speed; while providing the best preventative against problems like the high ankle sprain, the lower back strain, and the dreaded ACL. And it has the benefit of being practiced without the necessity of a gym, weight room...you don't even need shoes.
I also study Shaolin KF. Hadn't considered horse stance applicability to basketball, but what you say makes a lot of sense. Every morning I spend 2 min in a low horse stance at the end of a tai chi routine. Really does build strength - foundation for everything else.

Reaction Score
The list of Geno's use of hyperbole while coaching is almost legendary, and goes back many years. If you take him literally, you're gonna get a headache.
Yeah, you know what's funny is how some people outside the program seem to take offense to it and worry about the the girls' egos as if they're delicate little flowers that need us internet posters to come running to those damsels in distress, yet they all know not to take him literally and understand the point he is trying to get across because 99.9% of the time he is right. Watch the little piece ESPN did on Stewie and KML a couple of weeks ago.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
geno & team.jpeg

Without a doubt, Geno is:
1. Brilliant, a pure basketball genius.
2. Sarcastic as heck. :rolleyes:
3. Honest to a fault.
4. Able to get the BEST out of MOST of his players.
5. Going to win N.C #10, this year or next.... ;)

Go Huskies..!!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
This is Geno being Geno.

He is honest, almost to a fault. Yet, he uses his honesty to motivate the team to move forward and improve.

Reaction Score
It might just be the reason for UConn's extended period of excellence has everything to do with his directness and hyperbole. He doesn't settle for almost good enough. Diana said in the first installment of The Geno Project he tears you down, builds you up, tears you down again until at the end of the season "perfection" (or nearly so). As my mother would have said...there is the right way, the wrong way and Geno's way. We may not always agree with it but he has a pretty good track record to show his way usually works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom