A forgotten option. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A forgotten option.

Reaction Score
Sticking up for the home team here (Butler):

Duke-Butler NCAA final generates highest TV rating since 2005

Dude come on. Take Duke out of the equation as Goliath to Butler's David and what kind of ratings would you be left with? People love to see if the little guy can knock off the big guy. Its an easy sell. That said take all the Goliath's out of the field and what are you left with? Would the casual sports fan tune in to watch Butler play Wichita State in the final?

Reaction Score
Let's be real. We will never again be able to compete in men's basketball.

Now that we have HCRE back, we should drop men's basketball and all other sports except football and women's basketball. Put all of our effort and money into those 2 sports. Add some of the more popular sports back only if and when football is finally on solid footing.

We should join the Mountain West for those two sports and call it a day.

If HCRE isn't able to turn the football program around, we should wait until Geno retires and then shut down football and the women's basketball program as well. With no athletic department to fund, the University's drain on the State's limited resources will be a lot less.

Reaction Score
Do you realize that the television proceeds from the NCAA basketball tournament generates $1 Billion per year of which the NCAA retains $800 million for redistribution across the sports and divisions? This means only $200 million of the tournament proceeds are provided to the actual teams/conferences participating in the tournament.

When people say football drives realignment and basketball does not matter that is only because of the way the money is distributed. Basketball currently does not matter as much as football because the P5 conferences keep all the money in football and the NCAA takes a lion share in basketball. Can you imagine how valuable basketball would be to realignment if the conferences/teams who participate in the tournament actually split the $1 billion pot?

The P5 could very easily create their own tournament and as long as it generated more than $200 million they'd be in the black. BTW if and when the P5 does that, the non P5 basketball programs just got demoted to FBS levels. Good luck recruiting at Villanova if there is no opportunity to play in the P5 tournament. The P5 would then monopolize the money while at the same time killing the non P5 competition.

But hey, lets go back to the new Big East cause there is no way the P5 would ruin a conference for money and control....

The ironic part of this, of course, is that if football paid its proportionate share of the NCAA's budget, meaning football revenues were taxed and most of the basketball proceeds were given to competitors, we never would have been in this mess to begin with because we would have had much greater economic value to any conference.

Reaction Score
I read somewhere a while ago that the women's NCAA tourney does not get any money except for expenses. Is this true?

Reaction Score
New Big East for everything but football...and Mountain West for football. I think it's a decent plan. I believe us and Cincy could get football-only spots in the MW as they would probably allow us the Hawaii rule due to geography. We would help their conference brand-wise and with eastern TV. They would help us by allowing us to keep our football at basically the same level while upgrading our basketball while we wait for a better offer (which we would make clear with them). We would have to give travel subsidies, but we would make much more with the NBE so that would be ok.

The divisions would look like this:
Mountain: UConn, Cincy, Boise State, Wyoming, Air Force, New Mexico, Colorado St.
West: San Jose St., Utah St., UNLV, Fresno St., Nevada, SDSU, Hawaii

Possible schedule down the road in this alignment: NC State, @BC, Illinois, @Indiana, Cincy, @ Boise State, Air Force, @Wyoming, New Mexico, @Colorado St, @UNLV, Nevada

This would pave the way for NBE basketball, which hopefully would still be a massive double round robin with Cincy (22 games), which would leave us with 9 OOC games (3 tournament, Syracuse @MSG, 2 decent h/h, 3 pay games).
When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead
And the white knight is talking backwards
And the red queen's off with her head
Remember what the dormouse said
Feed your head, feed your head

Reaction Score
UConn's men's basketball has been devalued in the American.

The dreamers who preach patience in the American while hoping for an invite from the ACC should realize that the longer UConn remains in the American the more trivialized it becomes.

UConn basketball needs the Big East as much as the Big East needs UConn.

7 wins and 10 losses ain't what we use to be.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
UConn's men's basketball has been devalued in the American.

The dreamers who preach patience in the American while hoping for an invite from the ACC should realize that the longer UConn remains in the American the more trivialized it becomes.

UConn basketball needs the Big East as much as the Big East needs UConn.

7 wins and 10 losses ain't what we use to be.

Yeah, UConn needs to be in a conference that will ensure no P5 league ever looks at us again. That way, when the P5 cartel breaks off and kicks the rest of DI out of the tournament, we can at least be clinging onto warm and fuzzy memories while ACC and B1G schools compete for national championships.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Yeah, UConn needs to be in a conference that will ensure no P5 league ever looks at us again. That way, when the P5 cartel breaks off and kicks the rest of DI out of the tournament, we can at least be clinging onto warm and fuzzy memories while ACC and B1G schools compete for national championships.

There's pretty much no hope as it is, and that's simple math.

Most predictions of the final power play result in a P4 of 64 teams. There are currently 65 teams (including ND) comfortably ensconced in a big money conference. The only way UConn gets in is if some of them get the boot. Probably only candidates for that are Baylor and Wake. Both would have to get booted and UConn would need to be the top choice among all schools under consideration.

It's a tall order.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

Most predictions of the final power play result in a P4 of 64 teams. There are currently 65 teams (including ND) comfortably ensconced in a big money conference. The only way UConn gets in is if some of them get the boot. Probably only candidates for that are Baylor and Wake. Both would have to get booted and UConn would need to be the top choice among all schools under consideration.

It's a tall order.

Better than throwing our tails beneath our legs and being content with spending the 2040s playing Georgetown and Villanova in high school gyms.

Reaction Score
The P5 could very easily create their own tournament and as long as it generated more than $200 million they'd be in the black. BTW if and when the P5 does that, the non P5 basketball programs just got demoted to FBS levels. Good luck recruiting at Villanova if there is no opportunity to play in the P5 tournament. The P5 would then monopolize the money while at the same time killing the non P5 competition.

But hey, lets go back to the new Big East cause there is no way the P5 would ruin a conference for money and control....

Since we are discussing hypothetical scenarios, in the above scenario, AAC hoops is dead as well.

The way I see it is that, right now, the non-P5 hoops powers are in separate conferences. If that power can be consolidated in the Big East by adding UConn (and, for sh&ts and giggles, Cincy), maybe the Big East becomes a viable competitor to P5 hoops, making it harder to ignore/leave behind. The threat/barrier to the P5 would be about optics not contracts. For example, this might be the case if the (honest) pundits start calling the BE the best basketball conference. I think the P5 is taking it slow because they are sensitive to optics.

If the Big East is able to improve its stature to P5 (or better) level, naturally the P5 would want to destroy it. The P5's/ACC's modus operandi in such a case has been to raid. If it gets to that, we should be the top target (or at least a top 2 choice) to be poached given the rest of the BE does not play FB. After such a raid, the optics of a P5 hoops split might be palatable.

The question to me is whether the AAC will ever get to a level that it could be viewed as a threat/barrier to the P5 splitting away in either FB or hoops. If the answer is no, aren't we dead in the AAC? The P5 can just let the AAC and UConn die on the vine - no reason to poach teams. If the answer is yes - i.e., the AAC is the biggest threat/barrier to a P5 split, then we should stay in the AAC. Either way, I agree the other piece is that FB must improve.

Can any of this be done (i.e., agreements with MW and BE)? That is a different question and it beats me. If it could be done, would the threat be enough for the P5 to care? Maybe not.

Reaction Score
Crazy train alternative 3:

AAC merges with the Big East and renames itself: "Power 22"

Discuss amongst yourselves.

ff20843b693537a88364ef8543be706e9a66843d9d619ac5bfb2ab97bf8e6db2.jpg

Reaction Score

It's a tall order.

If the Big 12 falls apart when its GOR expires in about eight years, UConn will have a legitimate shot at getting into the ACC with a smaller shot at the Big Ten. Baylor and TCU are screwed because they're private and religious. Iowa St probably is too because they simply have no conference to join- I doubt the Big Ten takes a second school from Iowa and no other conference fits geographically. That takes those 65 power members down to 62, creating two openings for us.

My best guess is the Pac 12 adds Texas, TX Tech, OU, and OKST. The Big Ten adds Kansas and someone else- it could be us but I wouldn't be surprised if they poached Colorado from the Pac 12, in which case Colorado St would take Colorado's place in the Pac 12. The SEC is basically left with WVU and Kansas ST, and the ACC picks up ND and one other school- we're probably the leading candidate though I could see Notre Dame pushing for Temple; Cincy could have an outside chance.

Reaction Score
We have an excellent chance at the Big Ten. Edsall just needs to right the ship and beat Indiana and Illinois when we play them. Even if we lose, we'd still have an excellent chance.

Reaction Score
We have an excellent chance at the Big Ten. Edsall just needs to right the ship and beat Indiana and Illinois when we play them. Even if we lose, we'd still have an excellent chance.

?? I'm assuming you're being sarcastic but I'd be curious to hear your take on my post.

Reaction Score
If the Big 12 falls apart when its GOR expires in about eight years, UConn will have a legitimate shot at getting into the ACC with a smaller shot at the Big Ten. Baylor and TCU are screwed because they're private and religious. Iowa St probably is too because they simply have no conference to join- I doubt the Big Ten takes a second school from Iowa and no other conference fits geographically. That takes those 65 power members down to 62, creating two openings for us.

My best guess is the Pac 12 adds Texas, TX Tech, OU, and OKST. The Big Ten adds Kansas and someone else- it could be us but I wouldn't be surprised if they poached Colorado from the Pac 12, in which case Colorado St would take Colorado's place in the Pac 12. The SEC is basically left with WVU and Kansas ST, and the ACC picks up ND and one other school- we're probably the leading candidate though I could see Notre Dame pushing for Temple; Cincy could have an outside chance.

I used to be on The Big 12 Apocalypse Train like quite a few, but over time I've sort of come around to the reality that because so many teams could potentially be screwed in a dissolution it is far less likely to happen. I think the conference will hold and eventually even expand. Texas is already getting what they want, and will get no better deal elsewhere. OU basically wants to be paid at the same level of equivalent football powers, and likely will be for their next contract. Everybody else in the league is just happy to be there. As for ND? They need to s*** or get off the pot. Just join The ACC already and get it over with. This isn't the 60's. Everybody is on TV all the time. Its not special anymore. Taking Uconn as #16 would atone for the mistakes made in the past, and get BC of the ridiculous island it has been placed on.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I used to be on The Big 12 Apocalypse Train like quite a few, but over time I've sort of come around to the reality that because so many teams could potentially be screwed in a dissolution it is far less likely to happen. I think the conference will hold and eventually even expand. Texas is already getting what they want, and will get no better deal elsewhere. OU basically wants to be paid at the same level of equivalent football powers, and likely will be for their next contract. Everybody else in the league is just happy to be there. As for ND? They need to s*** or get off the pot. Just join The ACC already and get it over with. This isn't the 60's. Everybody is on TV all the time. Its not special anymore. Taking Uconn as #16 would atone for the mistakes made in the past, and get BC of the ridiculous island it has been placed on.

The not-so-arbitrary number for eventual P5 inclusion is 64, whether 4 conferences of 16 or five conferences of 12-14 each. There are currently 65. The math is not in UConn's favor, especially if UCF/USF continue to gain traction. In the end, the fact that CT is a barren land for recruiting probably negates any positive arguments regarding potential viewership revenue.

I would not be surprised to see BC bounced and the ACC take in both FL directionals or one of them plus Temple or all three.

Honestly, even small gains would be useful to offset some costs. I'd look into having women's hoops split off from the AAC and negotiate their own deal, which may as much as double media revenue. Right now it's the only leverage UConn has with ESPN.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That is fantastic.

It's far more outlandish than the usual crackpot nonsense, so I can tell you put some effort into it.

I like how you envision Cincinnati coming along on the crazy train.

A+

No way. Points off for grammar. "us and Cincy"? Serious run on sentence that is lacking in commas after that.

B-

Reaction Score
New Big East for everything but football...and Mountain West for football. I think it's a decent plan. I believe us and Cincy could get football-only spots in the MW as they would probably allow us the Hawaii rule due to geography. We would help their conference brand-wise and with eastern TV. They would help us by allowing us to keep our football at basically the same level while upgrading our basketball while we wait for a better offer (which we would make clear with them). We would have to give travel subsidies, but we would make much more with the NBE so that would be ok.

Mountain: UConn, Cincy, Boise State, Wyoming, Air Force, New Mexico, Colorado St.

Possible schedule down the road in this alignment: NC State, @BC, Illinois, @Indiana, Cincy, @ Boise State, Air Force, @Wyoming, New Mexico, @Colorado St, @UNLV, Nevada

This would pave the way for NBE basketball, which hopefully would still be a massive double round robin with Cincy (22 games), which would leave us with 9 OOC games (3 tournament, Syracuse @MSG, 2 decent h/h, 3 pay games).
This the Best Case for UConn when/if they get thrown out of the AAC.

Reaction Score
This the Best Case for UConn when/if they get thrown out of the AAC.

if this is the best case, I'll need to find a regular supplier of industrial strength horse tranquilizers that I can cut it up into a fine powder and snort with a soda straw in the McDonald's bathroom.

Reaction Score
Add Wichita State to the American and hope for a better contract next time around. If Ollie can find his eye of the tiger again hoops will be fine.

The Big 12 seems destined to lose teams so at the very least we will end up in a weakened Big 12, which will still be a decent league.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
From a basketball perspective the league is less relevant than finding a coach who has a system which adapts to it's surroundings. The "new" big east is going to take a haircut on it's next tv contract( it knows this and will not likely expand). We're in a down year as we've lost guys early which is happening at many of the p5 schools as well. Watching texas tunite, and they're sub 500 after the big Smart hire last year, ok same way. Syracuse and pitt, no big success there either. You look at Cincy,Memphis, Houston all trending up or steady as she goes. I think it comes back to getting 4 year guys to maintain consistency. Uconn probably needs to step back(Ollie) and maybe not go for the top kid who is a short term alternative, and focus on getting 4 and 5 year guys who will develop and provide consistency. Just my take. Not so much the league as the need to retool the program's path with players and development.

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score

Conference USA, AMERICAN ATHLETIC CONFERENCE 2.0... I'M PSYCHED!!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom