A few thoughts after the Creighton game. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A few thoughts after the Creighton game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I had written in a previous post that it really doesn't matter who starts as the first 7 will get equal amounts of playing time but in reality I really see Tuck starting over Stokes. I think a front line of KML, Stewie and Tuck will be the best way to go. That's a much stronger line-up just because Tuck is way better than Stokes from an offensive point of view and athletically speed wise. Geno also said post game that Stewie and Tuck compliment each other well ..Kind of reminds me of Stef and Stewie last year. The season is early yet but as time goes on I see Tuck getting better and better. As we all sit here writing Coach will do what he does best and that's win baby win. GO UCONN.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Not true.

New Knoxville vs. Buckland (2-0) (12/23/1939)

Seriously? My argument was to someone who was dunning UConn's effort in allowing 43% of 3 pointers for Creighton, a team that played really well and lives and dies at the 3 point line, and you respond with a score of 2 - 0 from 1939? :rolleyes:

EGADS!

Reaction Score
Don't hurt yourself patting yourself on the back. I don't recall any of you saying Tuck was going to start in place of Stokes. Those that said Tuck would start also said KML would move over to the 2. Not gonna happen. IF Tuck does start (other than for illness/injuries), she'll start in place of Stokes. Although we've yet to see that. So all of your "persistent posting" has yet to come to pass. And when it does it won't be as you guys said.

As I said when responding to your guys posts over the summer, IF we started Stokes, Stewart, Tuck, KML and Jefferson, that would be a very bad thing. Because that would mean none of our guards had stepped up. Luckily, that's not going to happen (unless we end up with illness/injuries and again, that's a bad thing). Nurse and Chong have done a pretty good job so far.

If Tuck OR Stokes end up coming off the bench, I have no problem with it either way.

Yesterday's starting line-up was NOT a good thing. It meant we had both of our 3s out of the lineup. That's not a good thing, no matter how well everyone else plays to make up for it.
You know, Meyers, I have given this matter a lot of thought and have concluded that you are correct. It did not work out exactly as I had speculated that it might. Thanks for pointing that out.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You know, Meyers, I have given this matter a lot of thought and have concluded that you are correct.
Of course. I guess my question would be why did it take you so long to come to that conclusion. ;)

It did not work out exactly as I had speculated that it might. Thanks for pointing that out.
That's my job. :cool:

Actually it didn't work out at all, yet . Tuck didn't start last night because she was "too good not to start". She started because KML was sick. (as far as we know - it's possible Stokes started last night because KML was sick ? hmmmm?) When KML is back AND Tuck starts, then it will have worked out. Still not the way many people were proposing though.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I was never convinced that Morgan would or should start this year. But I haven't wavered over the past year or more about her ability. When she is healthy and the rust is gone, Morgan is one of the smartest and most versatile players in the country. And arguably one of the best. How good was she 4-5 years ago? Better than even Stewie!

Reaction Score
Not game to game. Many games there will be no doubt. I know he did use Charde as a motivation to not play her or start her because she was so inconsistent.

I think there was one game vs Pitt or Depaul he refused to put her in even though the game turned into a nail-biter. UCONN won.
Charde was in a class by herself.....................................unfortunately.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Lots of good points.

First, insofar as Morgan Tuck is concerned, we have obviously concurred from the beginning of the year. But, while we're feeling vindicated, and are busily patting ourselves on the back, I'd like to say two things: First, I don't think the MT we're seeing now is anywhere near the player I expect her to be by tourney time. I don't think she's fully got her basketball "legs" under her yet, and is exhibiting some occasional wildness underneath that keeps her from consistently "finishing" on offensive opportunities. I expect that to dramatically improve. Second, in my pre-season thinking, I thought Geno might elect to go with a big lineup, starting MT and sending KML out to the #2. Several posters demurred, suggesting that, for a variety of reasons, KML was a poor fit for the #2, and they were probably right. More importantly, what you point out about Kia Nurse is the ultimate truth...she IS the real deal.

Nurse is in the starting lineup to stay, in my opinion. It's not just that, for reasons we well-understand, she's playing like no Freshman guard in recent memory, but her very instinct is to play Geno-style basketball. She pushes the ball up the floor relentlessly, knows where the ball is supposed to go, and how quickly it's supposed to go there. She's such a natural fit in the Geno system, it's hard to imagine her being dislodged from the starting five. So Morgan, if she's going to start, is more likely to do so at Kiah's expense than anyone else's.

Finally, while you didn't mention it, I think one more major takeaway from the game is the direction in which Gabby appears to be headed. Unlike Kia, she is very much playing like a Freshman. She's clearly very raw, but, to anyone who understands this game, I think her upside potential must be pretty apparent. The kid's just an athlete, and while she'll make a ton of early mistakes, she is, I think, destined for UConn stardom in time.
I think Gabby will give us a lot of matchup options on defense- and will be giving us a lot by March. For someone that never played forward- she is showing some nice explosiveness underneath with both hands.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Don't hurt yourself patting yourself on the back. I don't recall any of you saying Tuck was going to start in place of Stokes. Those that said Tuck would start also said KML would move over to the 2. Not gonna happen. IF Tuck does start (other than for illness/injuries), she'll start in place of Stokes. Although we've yet to see that. So all of your "persistent posting" has yet to come to pass. And when it does it won't be as you guys said.

As I said when responding to your guys posts over the summer, IF we started Stokes, Stewart, Tuck, KML and Jefferson, that would be a very bad thing. Because that would mean none of our guards had stepped up. Luckily, that's not going to happen (unless we end up with illness/injuries and again, that's a bad thing). Nurse and Chong have done a pretty good job so far.

If Tuck OR Stokes end up coming off the bench, I have no problem with it either way.

Yesterday's starting line-up was NOT a good thing. It meant we had both of our 3s out of the lineup. That's not a good thing, no matter how well everyone else plays to make up for it.
If you know where those summer threads were re starting line ups- I wasnt a cool aid drinker about Stokes automatically becoming a positive on the offensive end. That she would magically be gin to drain 12-18' ft shots and help the offense flow like Steph did and Morgan does. I did not think Morgan would be healthy enough already to fight for that spot yet. But am thrilled Morgan is moving so well and looks to still have a very quick first step!!!

Reaction Score
With Tuck vs Stokes - no idea how Geno will look at it. He loves loves loves the Celtics old style of Paul Silas - a sixth man that impacts the game - better than teh starter. With Caroline Doty in her last year - the bench was better. IMO he wants Stokes to start but he has to feel a certain comfort in her play. I think one of the things he wants her to do- feel comfortable with- is have her at times 10-18 feet from the basket and set picks instead of just positioning her in the paint. Imo if he ever scraps the attempt to have Kiah play some of the time 10+ feet away- under that circumstance-- she won't start any more. That's just one reason.

Reaction Score
I think Saniya will be one of the leaders on the floor along with Moriah. I just wish she wouldn't rely on shooting the quick three pointers so much and start driving to the cup. Take more mid range jumpers and create things inside. Draw the defenders and dish it off to post players.
She seemed to have an off day shooting jumpers but if she does those other things she'll get fouled or get some easy assists.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
I think Saniya will be one of the leaders on the floor along with Moriah. I just wish she wouldn't rely on shooting the quick three pointers so much and start driving to the cup. Take more mid range jumpers and create things inside. Draw the defenders and dish it off to post players.
She seemed to have an off day shooting jumpers but if she does those other things she'll get fouled or get some easy assists.
Saniya made a big jump for sure tis season. But I am not sure about her becoming a leader.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom